Tamiya_Cars_4_Life

Why isn't my 3900kV Brushless Motor making my DT-03 wheelie?

I have a Tamiya DT-03 Racing Fighter with a 3900kV GoolRC Brushless Motor/ESC. My beauty flies down the street and throws dirt in my face, but the one thing she lacks is wheelies. Does anyone know how to make her wheelie? Because I've seen people with around 3000 kV DT-03's and their cars would wheelie. This one's a 3900 kV motor so I am a little bit baffled :huh:. Is it because I only have a 17T pinion? Any help is appreciated! 

-Max

you must have grippy tires, you can have a lot of power but if your wheels spinning instead of gripping you never get a wheely out of it.

what tires do you use?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Thanks @dannymulder! I use SCHU6766 Schumacher "Mini Spike" Short Course Truck Tires (2) (Yellow). They have small spikes but there are a lot of them.

I think that is your problem, what surface do you run them, I think the mini spike is a carpet tire.

Try running it on tarmac, will ruin your tyres but will almost definitely pop a wheelie ! 

I had those tires on a second hand car that I bought they where on it but they had very low grip on grass and tarmac so I  changed the tires.

What voltage are you running? And what discharge rate is your battery.

Also ESC settings, hard or soft start? And pinion size could potentially be part of it.

Set up the esc if possible, but basically you need a punch at the start.

with a smaller pinion and desirable 3s battery.

but still try poping a wheelie on carpet wit these tires.

Are you using LiPo?  XT60 or Deans connectors?  

For wheelies, motors use a lot of energy.  They call it "burst" when they describe how much current the motor uses when accelerating.  When coasting, it's called "steady" draw.  For a 3900KV motor, I would imagine the burst energy to be about 6-7 amp.  NiMH would do about 3-4 amps, while Tamiya connectors can let through about 2A.  So if you are using NiMH with Tamiya connectors, the motor just isn't getting enough current.   

• Like 2

I've just bought a set of Schumacher Vee2/4's for mine. Will run them on DT02 and 3. One has a 4300KV brushless and the other 13.5T sensored motor. Will hopefull have both running by the weekend.

Thanks @Hobgoblin, @Fabia130vRS, @Juggular, and @Busdriver. So how do I set up my ESC? How do I program it to have a "Punch Start," as @Fabia130vRS, @Juggular, and @Hobgoblin stated above. And Juggular, I am using a 2S LiPo battery.

I actually have no idea what voltage I am running at though. My 2S Floureon battery is a 5200 mAh and 7.4V. Sorry I am just pretty new in the hobby - I've now mastered tires and motors but this is definitely NOT my sweet spot. :lol: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, everyone! I hope to see more responses from you guys!

Baffled,

Max

And also, I was wondering if the pinion has any effect on wheely-ing, as @Fabia130vRS stated. I am kind of confused on how to program my ESC to have this "Punch Start." Thanks for the helpful replies! :)

Utterly Baffled,

Max

The 2s is powerful - a 3s would help

my TT02b will wheelie with bigger goolRC and 3s

any reason you got the smaller goolRC (I know we were talking about these combos)

got a link to the one you have?

as your tyres wear down they will become more suitable for the road ;)

you won’t wheelie in the gravel really 

is there a reason you want to wheelie ;)

JJ

I have not used a programming card, but those things cost less than 10 USD (IF that is the issue).    

https://usa.banggood.com/Racerstar-LED-Program-Card-For-25354560A-ESC-Motor-Set-p-1057127.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&gpla=1&gmcCountry=US&utm_content=shopping&utm_campaign=usg-pc&currency=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=pla-usg-all-pc&gclid=CjwKCAjwqpP2BRBTEiwAfpiD-8aPM7Yq9yihw_tfJY8S1tCIjOdHKcJ3AcesbDFXIKQAOZ3iwY0tgRoCH7kQAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

Yes, 3900KV on 2S (7.4v) should be plenty powerful.  Taller gearing could help, if the motor is strong enough & gets enough juice.  I'm assuming you are using Deans connectors?  Not Tamiya connectors?  

Your tyres aren’t slipping on the wheels are they? Are they glued on? 
just a thought..!

• Like 1

Thanks @Problemchild, @Juggular, and @catman79. Problemchild, I don't get what you mean by "smaller combo," but here is the link to the combo I have: GoolRC Upgrade Waterproof 3650 3900KV Brushless Motor with 60A ESC Combo Set for 1/10 RC Car Truck.

Yes, Juggular, I use a Deans connector, not a Tamiya NiMh battery. 

Oh, and catman79, I have glued my tires down but they just slip off after a few runs. Also, any recommendations for tire glues?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Max 

Most online model shops sell glue specific for tyres, which is best. Though saying that any half decent super glue will do. 

can you post a video of the car In action, might help us see what’s going on 

If your wheels are breaking free of the glue and and spinning on the wheels you'll never be able to wheelie.  I use Team Losi tire glue, but honestly pretty much any CA (super glue) should work.

• Like 1

I've only used a few of the Goolrc motors.  But they're not great quality/ performance. 

Is that the full size 540 can? , Often referred to as a 3650?

Or the smaller can with the cooling fins? 

*I just checked and it is the full size can so it should have enough grunt.

3s lipo = 11.1 volts, then you will flip it over on anything past half throttle. 

Motor KV = RPM per volt per minute

So 3900 X 7.4volts = 28,860rpm

Or 3900 X 11.1volts = 43,290rpm

This is without load on the motor so the motor will probably never see that rpm, but it gives you an idea of the power increase.

• Like 1

@catman79, here is a video link from my channel but it is recorded my cousin.

I recommend you go a little further into the video, because that's when I start nearing full throttle.

11 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I've only used a few of the Goolrc motors.  But they're not great quality/ performance. 

Is that the full size 540 can? , Often referred to as a 3650?

Or the smaller can with the cooling fins? 

*I just checked and it is the full size can so it should have enough grunt.

3s lipo = 11.1 volts, then you will flip it over on anything past half throttle. 

Motor KV = RPM per volt per minute

So 3900 X 7.4volts = 28,860rpm

Or 3900 X 11.1volts = 43,290rpm

This is without load on the motor so the motor will probably never see that rpm, but it gives you an idea of the power increase.

@wolfdogstinkus, okay, so yes, it is a 3650 GoolRC. So you are saying that GoolRC motors aren't the best and that I should purchase a 3S battery?

Oh and @78Triumph, I will get some super glue to fully glue it down.

• Like 1