Tamiya_Cars_4_Life

Why isn't my 3900kV Brushless Motor making my DT-03 wheelie?

I use ,Poundland's own, 7 tubes for a quid. One tube does 4 wheels.

• Like 1

Sorry if I am threadjacking, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a restored Kyosho Javelin. HW 1060 ESC, 7.4 NiMH battery, originally had a Kyosho LeMans 240S, after I blew that up I bought a Traxxas Titan brushed, because that was the only brushed motor that the local hobby shop had.

Frankly, my Javelin is not fast. At least it doesn't seem fast - it's the only r/c car I've ever owned, so I don't have much to judge against. 

Battery life seems short, but I can drive it as hard as it will go until the battery runs low and the motor gets slightly warm, ESC and battery not at all. Plenty torquey. It is a tire-spinning fool, all the way to too speed.

I noticed that it has a 9T pinion, stock for the original Javelin was a 12T (Reissue is 25T). I have a 12T pinion on the way. 

Assuming the 12T pinion isn't a magic bullet, I figure that my options are as follows:

*Motor

*ESC

*Battery

*Still more gear

*Taller tires

The only other thing I can think of is maybe my transmitter or ESC isn't giving full power, but I have no clue how to verify that. 

Any idea where to start? I am not looking for crazy speed or breaking parts, but I'd like to go faster.

10 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Would you share the brand and type of glue you use.

because unfortunately I cant tell the same experience from super glue bought at a grocery store. 

I have used a lot of brands but most of the time I use loctite or pattex.

Hi Max,

I ran a Carson Modelsport 3380 kV / 12.5 Turns brushless motor, combined with a 2s Lipo, in my DT-02 Sand Viper, back in 2013.

Wheelies were easy to pull off, especially when using spike tires on gravel. The car was fully ball raced. 17T steel pinion, tires had been glued to the rims using Tamiya tire glue. The motor stayed in the correct temperature range when using regular sized buggy tires. Using truggy or even monster truck tires increased the temperature, so I went for a 15T pinion by using a custom made metal motor adaptor.

Fun times, though the rear wing was no more after a few runs. Installing a wheelie bar using Lunchbox parts at the rear of the DT-02/03 gearbox was easy.

• Like 2

My little DT03. Running the goolrc 4300kv motor with a trackstar 1/8 scale 120amp esc on a 5600mah 2s.

The clone castle motors are pretty good for the price. Castle has some motors made in China that how they were copied. They are pretty good value for money.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stew_mac said:

My little DT03. Running the goolrc 4300kv motor with a trackstar 1/8 scale 120amp esc on a 5600mah 2s.

The clone castle motors are pretty good for the price. Castle has some motors made in China that how they were copied. They are pretty good value for money.

Yes this is the kind performance I expect. Chinese motors may not be as good as the very best but they still make a brushed 540 look like a rubber band in comparison. Shouldn't have any difficulties shifting a DT-03 around.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, stew_mac said:

My little DT03. Running the goolrc 4300kv motor with a trackstar 1/8 scale 120amp esc on a 5600mah 2s

That's spritely for a 4300kv, is it the ,Goolrc 60a esc ,that's the weak part, not letting the motor get it's full juice? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wooders28 said:

That's spritely for a 4300kv, is it the ,Goolrc 60a esc ,that's the weak part, not letting the motor get it's full juice? 

Yeah the motors are ok, the esc not so much. 

02255874-D9B7-4ECA-B3DA-4E5FBF3E88F1.jpeg

DD0BFE44-99C7-4F97-8021-817E2E5F796F.jpeg

FB604EE4-960E-4A55-805F-FEBE7C3C584E.jpeg

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I use ,Poundland's own, 7 tubes for a quid. One tube does 4 wheels.

That's what I always use. Even my home made paddle tyres are made with good old Tommy Walsh super glue.

M5CRZ2d.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nowinaminute said:

That's what I always use. Even my home made paddle tyres are made with good old Tommy Walsh super glue.

M5CRZ2d.jpg

Homemade paddles!? More info required!

I'm running ,eBay's finest paddles.

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

What an awesome picture

2nd that!! 

That's a cracking pic 👍

15 hours ago, stew_mac said:

This is how I’d expect @Tamiya_Cars_4_Lifeto be running with the GoolRC 

JJ

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I'm guessing that the wheelie issue is from not gluing my tires down. Thanks @stew_mac! I think I should switch ESCs cause I really DON'T want my receiver to burn up...

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to share them. :)

Cheers!

Maxim

Ive followed this particular thread. Isnt the point of power to be able to control the power? Wheelies are cool, But if u overpower the car u cant use it? no offense at all . 

11 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

Ive followed this particular thread. Isnt the point of power to be able to control the power? Wheelies are cool, But if u overpower the car u cant use it? no offense at all . 

Yes, it's just I want my DT-03 to run a bit better on the grass - my neighbor's DT-03 wheelies only in the grass - nowhere else.

Thanks for your reply, @Finnsllc.

Cheers!

Maxim

23 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

Absolutely, 

It's all about control, if you slam the throttle wide open, from a standing stop, it'll back flip, but if you can roll on the throttle, actually drive the car, it's fine.

This is where ,slippers, in modern cars really help.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 11:05 PM, Wooders28 said:

Absolutely, 

It's all about control, if you slam the throttle wide open, from a standing stop, it'll back flip, but if you can roll on the throttle, actually drive the car, it's fine.

This is where ,slippers, in modern cars really help.

Wait what do you mean "slippers?" Does the DT-03 have them?

Cheers!

Maxim

3 hours ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Wait what do you mean "slippers?" Does the DT-03 have them?

Cheers!

Maxim

No they don't, be handy though!

A slipper clutch has clutch plates, which are spring loaded, by adjusting the tension of the spring , you control how much slip there is. You then set the slip, so the front wheels just lift under full power, (or just before a ball diff slips) you can then just nail it, and it'll just go,- of a shovel!!!

I've bought a, slipper pinion, to see if I can get it in there somehow......it's on the list.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

No they don't, be handy though!

A slipper clutch has clutch plates, which are spring loaded, by adjusting the tension of the spring , you control how much slip there is. You then set the slip, so the front wheels just lift under full power, (or just before a ball diff slips) you can then just nail it, and it'll just go,- of a shovel!!!

I've bought a, slipper pinion, to see if I can get it in there somehow......it's on the list.

I think that would be neat, thanks for clarifying!

• Like 1