Tamiya_Cars_4_Life

Why isn't my 3900kV Brushless Motor making my DT-03 wheelie?

Mine is so overpowered I’ve broken something on every outing, I’m gradually improving bits as I go but I am at the point I’ve spent far too much on an entry level car. Programming may help, I more powerful esc may help, hard to say. It’s very easy to throw money at a problem and get nowhere, I’m great at that!

• Like 1

Something sounds wrong with something  

I have a Absima branded Hobbywing 3400kv in my racing fighter running off a Nimh with Tamiya connectors. I’ve got the punch setting turned down to it’s softest and it will still wheelie in gravel and dirt. Stock setting was three out of four and it was uncontrollable.  

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 1:24 PM, bikerclubby said:

Something sounds wrong with something  

I have a Absima branded Hobbywing 3400kv in my racing fighter running off a Nimh with Tamiya connectors. I’ve got the punch setting turned down to it’s softest and it will still wheelie in gravel and dirt. Stock setting was three out of four and it was uncontrollable.  

Woah... so I guess that's a major issue. If you have any suggestions, @bikerclubby, please share them. Thanks!

Baffled,

Max

I’m a newbie at rc, so I may be way off, but here’s what I see.

Pinion shouldn’t matter, in fact smaller should be better if you are running truck tyres. 

Tyres sound fine, I’ve used Vee 4 trucks and like them. 

Motor is getting up to speed, so it’s not that. 

Lipo should deliver enough current to do what your after. 

All that leaves ESC, or more precisely the settings. Have you set the throttle end point correctly? These esc don’t seem to have a set button, but googled it and MSUK forum was talking about same thing. They suggest unhook motor cables. Turn on Tx, hold full throttle and then turn on esc. This should give it max travel info. Some people say this only enters set mode and you then there to release, full throttle, release then full reverse. Others say just turn it off again. Worth a try. 

If you have a fancy transmitter you could try turning throttle range  settings all the way up. 

Seems like anything more complicated needs the programming card, but esc seem to come set up fairly aggressively anyway. 

As always, read the manual. Often there’s a quick step you overlook in your hurry to get things built. 

• Like 1

What is the throttle endpoint? Is that where you do recallibrate the joysticks so they give full power and not less? Is "throttle range" the same thing as "throttle trim?" What do you mean "unhook the motor cables," does that mean detach them from the ESC cables? So I detach my motor cables from my ESC cables, turn on TX (transmitter) then holding full throttle and turning on ESC so it goes into "set mode," and then release full throttle, and do full throttle, release, full reverse, release?

Well, the ESC/motor combo came with a "WARNING" booklet but that's about it. I bookmarked the ESC/motor combo from where I purchased in my browser, so I will try to find an online manual.

Sorry for pestering you with so many questions, @bikerclubby, it's just I am still a newbie at RC. ;)

Cheers!

Max

Oh, and @bikerclubby, as of now I am not running truck tires, I am running Schumacher Carpet tires, but I am planning on upgrading to the Tamiya Blackfoot tires/wheels/spindles. I would like your recommendations whether or not I should purchase these.

Cheers,

Max

Yeah, unhook the cables from the motor so it doesn’t go ballistic when you calibrate the throttle. 
Controllers differ in how much travel the levers have. The esc need a reference of where full travel is is each direction. Without this it may never be giving max output. Trim is different and set where the neutral point is. 
Try and find a manual but the reset procedure is worth a try just as you typed.  

Not had a chance to run full set of truck tyres as I’m waiting on wheels coming. Only ran a rear set so far. Good traction but fronot overwhelmed by rear grip. Hopefully be better with full set of truck tyres. I went with mad bull axles as they were the cheapest I could find. Actually, I bought a while steering linkage as it was cheaper than just the axles. 

On 5/22/2020 at 8:40 PM, Juggular said:

That is very true!  I neglected to consider that fact.  Sport Tuned and Super Stock motors have the same turn (23).  But Super Stock is definitely faster and requires more current also.  Super Stocks must use stronger magnets.  I just wish GoolRC could have been at least equal to Sport Tuned.   

Digging up an old post here but I recently got a couple of GoolRC brushed motors to put in my latest Nikko MT project. I wanted some motors more attractive to look at and a little extra poke too. I was initially going to go for the 27T but then I remembered your post so I went with 23T instead, worked out great, only a modest speed increase over the 27T motors so not too much for the archaic chassis.

If I had gone for 27T I think they might have been a little slower than the silver cans already in thee so I just wanted to say thanks for posting your observations on these motors as it helped me to judge which ones to get!

On 9/6/2020 at 2:46 PM, nowinaminute said:

That is very true!  I neglected to consider that fact.  Sport Tuned and Super Stock motors have the same turn (23).  But Super Stock is definitely faster and requires more current also.  Super Stocks must use stronger magnets.  I just wish GoolRC could have been at least equal to Sport Tuned.   

Ah, now I understand. So GoolRC is absolute crap? So should I start thinking of getting a new motor and ESC?

Thanks for the replies @nowinaminute and @bikerclubby! You guys made some stuff clear! Sorry if I haven't replied in a while, I was just busy with my DT-03 upgrade project (I got new shocks, shock towers, and added the steering hop-up, I can post pictures if you want. Also, I've noticed that the red shocks are 100x better then the stock shocks.)

Cheers! :)

Maxim

On 10/6/2020 at 2:26 PM, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Ah, now I understand. So GoolRC is absolute crap? So should I start thinking of getting a new motor and ESC?

Thanks for the replies @nowinaminute and @bikerclubby! You guys made some stuff clear! Sorry if I haven't replied in a while, I was just busy with my DT-03 upgrade project (I got new shocks, shock towers, and added the steering hop-up, I can post pictures if you want. Also, I've noticed that the red shocks are 100x better then the stock shocks.)

Cheers! :)

Maxim

I've never had a problem with them personally.

But the above message was just about the fact that their brushed ones are sometimes not as fast as other brands with the same specs. Nothing wrong with them, just something to bear in mind. I don't think I've had a cheapo Chinese motor fail to this day. The speed controllers can be a bit more hit or miss than the motors though.