I tend to favor box art in most cases, mostly due to being drawn to my memories from hobby store shelves and magazines from the late 80s, but decided to try something different with this Lunch Box.  A few years ago, I was pretty impressed with a Candy Green Grasshopper that I built and consigned, so I figured I'd try that paint on a Lunch Box.  You all know what a Lunch Box build looks like, so here are some pictures from the paint sequence using fine surface primer, TS-75 champagne gold, TS-52 candy lime green, and TS-65 pearl clear.

All pictures here:  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmLWzMY3

49653771216_be9d977abc_b.jpg

49654050622_b3c83a0a19_b.jpg

49654051277_62cac7003d_b.jpg

49654052192_5de20c1c04_b.jpg

49654053062_b434c79735_b.jpg

• Like 9

Added the Ampro rear suspension brace...

49654054187_2cb90d3a42_b.jpg

And some tire foams...

49653238388_a8b5ab17c5_b.jpg

And some warm white LEDs...

49654055712_a805307cbf_b.jpg

• Like 5

Oh, and the custom stickers are from MCI Racing. Nathaneal did a great job with these.  Here are some outside pictures...

49653239993_ea2d41c16f_b.jpg

49653778081_4e1629ae9c_b.jpg

49653240883_5b7cc4315e_b.jpg

49654057287_fc96b7ddf0_b.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Great clear pictures and loving the colour. How many coats did you do at each stage of the spraying process?

Fantastic job. I would hate to run it and damage the paint now though

16 hours ago, mman2005 said:

Great clear pictures and loving the colour. How many coats did you do at each stage of the spraying process?

Thank you!  It was a little while ago, and only the second ABS body I've painted recently so going off memory here.  I think 2-3 coats at most stages.  Although tempted to try wet sanding, I decided against it or else I would be too afraid to drive it.

16 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Fantastic job. I would hate to run it and damage the paint now though

Already done!  As much as I'm a perfectionist and dislike the scratches, it's more satisfying for me to run it.

46 minutes ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

Where did the headlights come from? I'd like to buy a set. Thanks

edit - love it in green!

I picked up a packet of 5mm soft white LEDs some years back and have been soldering them up myself with the appropriate resistors to run off 6V receiver power.  I'd be happy to do a tutorial on that someday if you'd like.  It's quite doable.

Here's the one I did for my recent Clod build...

48771682076_bf3d1c8568_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

Where did the headlights come from? I'd like to buy a set. Thanks

edit - love it in green!

Any 5mm LEDs will fit in, you can buy them pre-wired with a plug that fits in your receiver. 

You can even get full working kits with indicators, brake lights and more functions that work from the handset.

• Thanks 1

Very Very Cool,  Did you consider a split rim effect on the wheels?  White and green perhaps.

On 5/22/2020 at 8:41 AM, schlabinski said:

I picked up a packet of 5mm soft white LEDs some years back and have been soldering them up myself with the appropriate resistors to run off 6V receiver power.  I'd be happy to do a tutorial on that someday if you'd like.  It's quite doable.

Here's the one I did for my recent Clod build...

Gorgeous Lunchbox! Love the green :wub:

Curious as to what resistors you used? I just wired up my Clod Buster's headlights using the resistors I had laying around but they are pretty dim so I may need to replace them with a more approriate resistor.

I also just noticed that the lights dim a lot when I punch the throttle. 

That'll be the motor taking the majority of the power. Leaving very little for the lights.

What ohm value are your resistors?

• Thanks 1

That makes sense, I imagine two motors would pull a bit of juice. The lights are connected to the 3rd channel on my Futaba RX.

I was trying to find 150ohm in my stash but the closest I could find was 1.5k ( I know! Quite a different :wacko: )

I just found a couple of 91ohm resistors. I might swap them over. See if that helps. 

You may want to do a quick calculation on how much current will be going into the LEDs. A drop from 150Kohm to 91ohm is quite significant. 

• Thanks 1

That's a great paint job - even the box art suggests you can go a bit wild with the colours on these. It's nice that all your additions still maintained the classic look. 

Does that extra suspension piece replace those flimsy little springs? Mine have already gone after a few outings. Also - do the wheel foams make a significant difference? 

Thank you!  I kept the little springs in.  It was just a guess, but they seem fine in there.

I didn't run the truck without foams, so I don't have a good comparison.  Admittedly, those foams are much firmer than I would like but it was hard to find something the right dimension.  I might buy a second set of wheels and tires because I think I'd prefer the tires to have a little more give.

A number of months have passed and I have a few updates to share.

I added some of the white 84347 CVA dampers...

49746870152_1b393c4558_b.jpg

49746870822_f77fbae1c3_b.jpg

I broke a front knuckle running in cold weather, so I replaced them with some good old Team CRP parts.  I hope these hold up better...

50892592242_c50f00738f_b.jpg

I also managed to crack a rear hub, so I opted for an alloy version...

50901906661_2546b3aac8_b.jpg

Obligatory alloy body mounts...

50943784362_e9985ecf0b_b.jpg

I mentioned earlier that the Crawler Innovations foams were too stiff.  Someone on this forum ( @toyolien perhaps?) recommended these Schumacher foams, and they feel much more like what I'm looking for.  Thanks for the tip!

50943785502_d79d9dedde_b.jpg

50943686551_c406ec0d4a_b.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, toyolien said:

@schlabinski Lovely colour. Looks great. And yes, those are the foams that I use in my Lunchbox and Wild Willy. Perfect fit.

Thank you!  Excellent...I'm glad I remembered that correctly.

Wow. It’s blazing. You might need to get a spare body so you can actually run that beauty. I see dirt on those tires. Be careful of messing that minty paint job. 

AFAIK all of the other foams for lunchbox/GF01/G601 etc wheels are now off the market. I bought the last few sets crawler innovations had when they stopped production. This is an excellent find, and they're not pricey at all.

19 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Wow. It’s blazing. You might need to get a spare body so you can actually run that beauty. I see dirt on those tires. Be careful of messing that minty paint job. 

Thank you.  While I'm happy with how the whole lime green experiment turned out, I still have a soft spot for the box art on this one.  While the green body already has many battle scars while having fun with it as intended, I may just have to pick up a spare body to do in yellow.  Thanks for taking a look.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:43 PM, schlabinski said:

A number of months have passed and I have a few updates to share.

I added some of the white 84347 CVA dampers...

49746870152_1b393c4558_b.jpg

49746870822_f77fbae1c3_b.jpg

I broke a front knuckle running in cold weather, so I replaced them with some good old Team CRP parts.  I hope these hold up better...

50892592242_c50f00738f_b.jpg

I also managed to crack a rear hub, so I opted for an alloy version...

50901906661_2546b3aac8_b.jpg

Obligatory alloy body mounts...

50943784362_e9985ecf0b_b.jpg

I mentioned earlier that the Crawler Innovations foams were too stiff.  Someone on this forum ( @toyolien perhaps?) recommended these Schumacher foams, and they feel much more like what I'm looking for.  Thanks for the tip!

50943785502_d79d9dedde_b.jpg

50943686551_c406ec0d4a_b.jpg

I need to get my hands on those foams. That might fix some flat spots I have in my LB tires from sitting on a shelf for  30 +/- years.