Sign in to follow this  
Deebo

Help needed choosing TX and RX. Choice of Etronix Pulse 2.0 X6 Pro vs Flysky fs-16s

Hi Guys, I've got deals agreed for both of these, does anyone have experience using either of them with a vintage Tamiya? I know I only need 2 channels, but these 2 are available local both with RX for £25 each (new in box).

TIA

I've got a Turnigy TGY-i6, which is a FlySky FS-i6 with a different badge on it.  AFAIK the FS-i6S is an FS-i6 with a non-threatening case and possibly a firmware update (IIRC the i6 can be flashed to run more channels, I'm not sure if the i6S has this already).  The firmware is different and may be more user-friendly than the i6, which is best described as 'quirky'.  For example, sometimes you have to long-press on the Cancel button to save a change, whereas a long-press on the OK button will reset the current settings window to how it was before you started, which is danged annoying if you've just clicked through 10 characters to enter a new model name and you can't remember if you have to long-press Cancel or OK to save it.

OTOH, I've had mine a few years, it got totally waterlogged during an epicly wet scale event, so bad that the screen fogged up and it wouldn't work any more.  We opened it up and put it on the dashboard with the aircon on and it started working 30 mins later and hasn't missed a beat since.

Before you buy, check that the Tx has the ratchet on the right stick, otherwise your throttle won't self-centre.  There is a kit you can buy (from a UK seller, I think also on ebay, do a search if necessary) that converts it to a conventional spring, or you can swap the components from left to right, but it's hassle you can avoid.

I can't comment on the Etronix as I don't have one, but I have several Etronix ESCs that feel very well made and have never given me any trouble and I've just purchased some Etronix micro servos and 19T motors so I'll get a better feel for the rest of their brand quality over the next few months.  It's possible their radios are rebranded Chinese models.

• Like 1

I've got an i6 and as above it is a little quriky. You need the self return spring - if I recall mine came with it, but they are cheap - https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-i6S-FS-i6S-Self-Centering-Throttle-Mode-Change-Part-p-1078595.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

You do need to swap the sticks left to right otherwise the right stick will do throttle and left steering. Pretty sure I just opened it up and swapped the plugs from one side to the other, but you could switch the entire stick unit from left to right.

Both sticks will still move in all directions, but its easy ot get used to. I did see a video where the guy stuck a load of glue in the back of the stick assembly to stop them from moving, looked a bit messy and unecessary to me.

Not used the Etronix but the spec sheet suggests that you won't n eed to engage in all this tomfoolery, but it is nearly double the cost of the flysky.

• Like 1

Thanks both, I really appreciate the help. Looking forward to taking the Thundershot out for a blast when I've picked up the new TX kit. I've gone for the FlySky kit as it's local. Cheers.

11 hours ago, Mark_C said:

I've got an i6 and as above it is a little quriky. You need the self return spring - if I recall mine came with it, but they are cheap - https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-i6S-FS-i6S-Self-Centering-Throttle-Mode-Change-Part-p-1078595.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

You do need to swap the sticks left to right otherwise the right stick will do throttle and left steering. Pretty sure I just opened it up and swapped the plugs from one side to the other, but you could switch the entire stick unit from left to right.

Both sticks will still move in all directions, but its easy ot get used to. I did see a video where the guy stuck a load of glue in the back of the stick assembly to stop them from moving, looked a bit messy and unecessary to me.

Not used the Etronix but the spec sheet suggests that you won't n eed to engage in all this tomfoolery, but it is nearly double the cost of the flysky.

Or you could just plug into different channels at the receiver.  #justsayin ;) 

I often forget what channels are what on my i6 but it has a handy Sticks Mode menu in the setup page that reminds me :)

I once tried to switch it to a different stick mode but found I had to push the right stick up to get past the "set throttle to zero" warning when switching on, which was less intuitive than moving the left stick down.

9 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Or you could just plug into different channels at the receiver.  #justsayin ;) 

Not an option on mine. It was a couple of years ago I dsorted it out, but there was no option in the menus that helped. I kind of want to say that one of the sticks had to be moved in the wrong direction, but I don't remember fully. Either way the "push throttle up" command on turn on requires me to push the right stick forwards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark_C said:

Not an option on mine. It was a couple of years ago I dsorted it out, but there was no option in the menus that helped. I kind of want to say that one of the sticks had to be moved in the wrong direction, but I don't remember fully. Either way the "push throttle up" command on turn on requires me to push the right stick forwards.

fair enough, on mine IIRC the throttle channel and steering channel are not what you'd expect them to be for an RC car but with a 6-channel receiver I can just plug the ESC and servo into whatever channel is programmed to the stick :)

yeah I thnik thats why I messed around with the plugs to get it to use ch1 & 2