Clod Dual Servo

Hello all,

Spent the afternoon converting my Konghead to 4 wheel steering using two Servos. And it got me thinking. I always thought the Clod steering was a little poor using one servo and a connecting rod. Has anyone converted it to two Servos instead? I have done no research, so apologise if the answer is obvious.

Cheers,

Hairy. 

Yes, it is one of the most popular mods for the clod.  I however it takes away the classic bumpers that make a clod a clod!!

I did one that comes very close to the look of the original, there is a thread on here but all the picture links are broken after tcphotos got updated and I think I've lost the originals. I'll have a dig and see if I can find them.

Edit: Here you go, some newer ones. 2 steel tubes, and 2 custom made alloy blocks per axle.

SAM_2128.jpg

SAM_2129.jpg

I think that's as close as you'll get to a 'stock' look.

• Thanks 2

I agree the steering wasn't great before all these high torque servos became common and affordable.  Now you can get a decent servoe for 15-30 bucks and pop it right in. 

6 hours ago, 67CamaroSS said:

I agree the steering wasn't great before all these high torque servos became common and affordable.  Now you can get a decent servoe for 15-30 bucks and pop it right in. 

Still didn't make that much difference tbh, it's the spring loaded servo savers that give the most slop.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 67CamaroSS said:

I just tightened the springs down and mine works fine

I'm still getting the rear steering more than the front, sometimes, just making it a bit unpredictable. Going to try removing the springs completely, and nail the things together, if not, duel servos is the only real solution.

11 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I'm still getting the rear steering more than the front, sometimes, just making it a bit unpredictable. Going to try removing the springs completely, and nail the things together, if not, duel servos is the only real solution.

I think that part of the design.  You will notice when you go in reverse you get more steering from the front.   I still think the turning radius is still pretty good considering the size of the truck. 

I do agree that you get some wobble at higher speeds..  I think thats why many of the guys that built the race clods of the 90's went to front steering only and locked the rear.  But if you are running it with stock motors or nothing too crazy. I think it performs fine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 67CamaroSS said:

But if you are running it with stock motors or nothing too crazy. I think it performs fine.

Gone from silvercans / 3s, to 15t firebolts, so yeah, the wobble a bit excessive 🙄😂😂

The clod doesn't wobble when you accelerate,....

It's a visual disturbance caused by a disruption in the earth's gravitational field.

This happens because the Clodbuster is so big it interferes with the rules of physics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, novicelad said:

Love my clod, I got the axle conversion kit here https://ebay.to/2AlbJoV

I've got that kit fitted to the front of my Clod and locked the rear steering out, it's a quality bit of kit although I had to notch the chassis a wee bit at the front to stop the servo hitting on compression. 

I can't tell you if it's a lot better than stock though because I fitted it while I was building the Clod, but from what I've heard it's far superior to the stock setup. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Superb!

Although, £40?

Yeah it is a bit pricey, however it's built by a 1 man band and such good quality. 

It makes loads of difference 

• Thanks 1

I use the machined Part from @Madinventor and i'm very Happy with it.

Maybe i can find the diagram of it.

• Thanks 1