Problemchild

Monster beetle / frog gearbox fix - a new strengthener

The issue:

click click click

For almost 30 years we've put up with this until @mheald provided us with a solution back in 2016 (a cheap and effective one that didn’t involve us spending £70 on a ball diff).

As mentioned in a few other posts, been trying to develop a new ORV gearbox strengthener with my friend as the @mheald ones aren’t available any more (massive thank you to him as my one is still going strong with a brushless)

Mk1 is now in development and have test fitted. We are now confident of fitment and everything lines up we can get the LH side going.

this is a single shaped piece that will (hopefully - pending testing) clamp the gearbox and limit/minimise/remove the clicking.

gFVyDgv.jpg

I’m hoping that it being a 1 piece solution it will be nice and easy to fit, won’t cost much and will come with bolts.

I guess to plan how much more effort goes into this I’d be interested in knowing who’d like one (or two).

if you are interested then please reply and I’ll add your name to the list 

List:

@Problemchild x2

@Duvetdo x1

@Juhunio x2

@Frog Jumper x1

@Peter_B x2

@KEV THE REV x2

@J@mes x1

@jlcox7 x2

@toyolien x2

@Badcrumble x1

@tamiya3speed x1

@tamiya_1971 x2

@slimleeroy x1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice one! I'm game, and I'll take two please :D

I'll have one please :) 

Looks great , well done guys .

I know it's early developement days but will these be adaptable from MB to Frog with a spacer of some sort ?.

I have a Frog with CRP rear bumper on it would it accommodate that? 

I think your friend is going to be busy !!   (R&D on other parts? )

Nice design. 

My thoughts, for what they are worth:

Plates may be too thick??? Hard to tell from the pix.  Likely not and it’s just a trick of the eye.

Also, the chipped corner above the “R” will conflict with the CRP adjustable motor mount.

Along that line of thought, one of the nice things about MHeald’s design was that you could use it in conjunction with the CRP rear skid plate and rear bumper. 

And last, a question. Does your plate wrap around the bottom?  I can see it does not conflict with the MB rear plate and bumper.  But would your design act as a skid plate if used w/o the MB rear???

Thanks!  And please don’t take any of my comments as trying to bad talk your idea. I’m just trying to think of things I’ll likely have to deal with when I buy some...

Terry

• Like 1

And for aesthetics, can we lose the “R” (and I presume “L” on the other side). I think we can all figure it out. Lol!

Come up with a logo or branding and put that on there. “Problem Parts” or something...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

And for aesthetics, can we lose the “R” (and I presume “L” on the other side). I think we can all figure it out. Lol!

Come up with a logo or branding and put that on there. “Problem Parts” or something...

Ok - will chat to my dude. Just to give him all the credit he deserves, all his work (hi Pete) and I’m just testing and sales hahaha

JJ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I know it's early developement days but will these be adaptable from MB to Frog with a spacer of some sort ?.

I’ll look at a frog rear and see what that looks like - I don’t have one :)

JJ

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

This?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283860897438

well they are just printed you you could trim it with a dremmel 

JJ

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Hi,

If you post some pics of the rear of the frog I'll see if I can adjust to make it fit. :-)

Pete

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Nice design. 

My thoughts, for what they are worth:

Plates may be too thick??? Hard to tell from the pix.  Likely not and it’s just a trick of the eye.

Also, the chipped corner above the “R” will conflict with the CRP adjustable motor mount.

Along that line of thought, one of the nice things about MHeald’s design was that you could use it in conjunction with the CRP rear skid plate and rear bumper. 

And last, a question. Does your plate wrap around the bottom?  I can see it does not conflict with the MB rear plate and bumper.  But would your design act as a skid plate if used w/o the MB rear???

Thanks!  And please don’t take any of my comments as trying to bad talk your idea. I’m just trying to think of things I’ll likely have to deal with when I buy some...

Terry

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, really useful to get this sort of thing. :-)

"R" and "L" removed - No worries

At the moment they are 6mm thick, it looks not to clash with anything on my MB but I've not got a frog or brat to check. I could have missed something though, did you spot a potential clash? 

At the moment is doesn't wrap around the bottom as the MB rear bumper is really tight around the bottom. Although a version could easily do this for the Brat for example if people would like this.

I've removed the bit I think would clash with the CRP motor mount, just re printing now.

Pete

• Like 1

In terms of price - we were thinking price inc EU delivery would be about £10 each and £6 for each additional one.

shipping internationally will be costed on a case by case basis - just let us know where you are.

this is what you will get...

2 x side plates

3 x long bolts

3 x nuts

6 x washers 

packed and shipped 

paypal friends and family?

how does that sound? - of course pending the results of testing :)

pete designed and built my clod load bed and the car hangers I use  the quality and design is excellent 

Xwry3hJ.jpg

JJ

• Like 6

Sweet truck .

At £16 inc post for 2 sets  , I'll have 2 sets of the braces then . :)

1 hour ago, Xeostar said:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, really useful to get this sort of thing. :-)

"R" and "L" removed - No worries

At the moment they are 6mm thick, it looks not to clash with anything on my MB but I've not got a frog or brat to check. I could have missed something though, did you spot a potential clash? 

At the moment is doesn't wrap around the bottom as the MB rear bumper is really tight around the bottom. Although a version could easily do this for the Brat for example if people would like this.

I've removed the bit I think would clash with the CRP motor mount, just re printing now.

Pete

Thanks Pete , I'll gets some pics . Btw it also sports a alu skid guard , so if modding is a pain as a one off then I'll take them as stock 

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

This?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283860897438

well they are just printed you you could trim it with a dremmel 

JJ

Yes that's the bumper 

59 minutes ago, Xeostar said:

Hi,

If you post some pics of the rear of the frog I'll see if I can adjust to make it fit. :-)

Pete

Will do . My Frog has a aluminium skid plate on the gearbox , so if it is a pain to mod for this then I'll take them as MB , Blackfoot etc . Cheers,  Kev 

Pete has said he will also ship internationally - but would need to see what the cost delta is.

@KEV THE REV of you can give us a head up of any clashes then Pete will try and make it suit :)

now what else can we get him @Xeostarmaking haha

JJ

• Like 2

Sounds good to me, will need shipped to Texas, but Paypal is good - just a question that may be silly - but I assume these have been tested out on the Beetle or equivalent and hold the differential pressure during driving? 

I know that is what the one from a few years were stated to do, just want to make sure -  also, do you have any estimated timeline for a shipment timeframe? Also, is the plastic color final or is there any variance? 

thanks again, let me know when you can! cheers

I made some massive car wall hangers!!  :o The little one is the 85mm version for normal Tamiya 1/10 buggies.

Pete

20191209_073750.jpg

• Like 3