Problemchild

Monster beetle / frog gearbox fix - a new strengthener

20 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

@KEV THE REV of you can give us a head up of any clashes then Pete will try and make it suit :)

No problem . I'll take them as stock . I can Dremmel / mod most things - or use them on my BF , MB , M/Blaster , Brat

2 minutes ago, jlcox7 said:

Sounds good to me, will need shipped to Texas, but Paypal is good - just a question that may be silly - but I assume these have been tested out on the Beetle or equivalent and hold the differential pressure during driving? 

I know that is what the one from a few years were stated to do, just want to make sure -  also, do you have any estimated timeline for a shipment timeframe? Also, is the plastic color final or is there any variance? 

thanks again, let me know when you can! cheers

There is a set on the way to @Problemchild for testing with his brushless MB set up. Won't send any out until we are sure they do the job.

Colour was just what I had on hand, I can do whatever people like really. I'd probably like to stick to a couple or three colours though as I'll buy the filament for the job specifically. 

Any requests? Red to match the MB maybe?

Pete

• Like 1

I’m in the midst of a BF build so I’ll take some pix showing the CRP and the MHeald stuff.  

And black is the color I would request. 

I have some other ideas for ORV parts if you’re interested...

Thanks!

Terry

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I’m in the midst of a BF build so I’ll take some pix showing the CRP and the MHeald stuff.  

And black is the color I would request. 

I have some other ideas for ORV parts if you’re interested...

Thanks!

Terry

Black would be no worries :D and yep always interested in ideas, fire away :)

Pete

Sounds great! black will go with anything, but could use red too - thanks for getting this going!

I’ve got the mheald set and I did the fitting guide on his thread 

it defo stops most of the clicking but it was slightly complex to fit and the double ring set up confused me a bit.

let me test these ones and if they work they will be ready to “go into production” and if not will make some changes :)

Keep the names coming 

black and red could be the 2 best options - bearing in mind if we select 2 colours then everyone picks red we will be left with a load of black ones :)

JJ

This looks great!

Could I have a black one, please?

Might push me to finish on of my ORV projects...

Here is an updated version removing the "R" and "L" and cutting back the top edge to avoid the adjustable motor mount. :-)

20200522_210204.jpg

• Like 1

And another version for the Frog/Brat with a wrap around underside to act as some protection. I've only done one side of this so far but I think you'll get the idea. :D

Thoughts, feedback, improvement ideas or comments all welcomed

20200522_210043.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

1 Red and 1 black for me :)

Changed my scatty mind , 2 black for me please

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

I’ve got the mheald set

IMO, clone the MHeald set. No need to reinvent the wheel.  But do what you do, I’ll buy some nonetheless..,

Terry

I do like the MHeald version but it had a few things that I hope I've improved on.

• It was a two piece plate design, a single piece of the same thickness will have increase bending stiffness and thus lower deflections under load.
  • This new design has a raised boss on the inside to focus the support provided to the plate right behind the bearing mount and where deflections need to be controlled. See Pic.
  • The three tabs on the old design were quite long and thin, these will be the main source of the flex when the plate is loaded. I've minimised the thinner sections where the bolts are located to reduced this potential flex.

Pete

20200521_201711.jpg

• Like 2

And it comes in red ;) 

tbh I had to do that guide for the old set because people were struggling to fit them

lets see how these perform 

JJ

Pix of the MHeald Tranny Brace on my BarbieFoot 2 and Frog Jumper.

This is the standard MHB (Mike Heald Brace) on the BarbieFoot.  You can see the two plates one the Port Side clearly here.  You can also see how it fits around the CRP Skid Plate.  

mEW3Eb3.jpg

Pk4SS22.jpg

H4ke2pB.jpg

li1DChK.jpg

This is a modified MHB on the Jumper.  I asked Mike Heald to make me a set where the inner ring didn't have the tab, and was just a round disc.  This was so I could fit the CRP rear bumper and its accompanying plastic spacer, and the CRP skid plate.  The rear bumper spacer allows the rear bumper metal plates to be spaced evenly on top of the skid plate.

T5xXw2s.jpg

ygKowqs.jpg

FczaLO7.jpg

SqHWKF8.jpg

Honestly, I really like the simplicity and effectiveness of this design.  And it fits all the CRP pieces, and probably other pieces with work, which for me was very important.  I even fitted a Parma rear sway bar at one time, but I thought it was a useless piece of junk and took it off.  If I remember correctly, it started off as a single plate on either side, but developed into a two plate system in order to accommodate the various tidbits people attach to the Tranny.  

I agree that the inner ring can be improved with a raised area in the center to encircle the tranny plate bearing holder ring, and apply pressure to the center of the gear, rather than just the flat "C" shaped protrusions above and below the bearing holder ring.

I personally think the skinny tabs are sufficient to apply the needed pressure, but I haven't run a brushless set-up with the standard spider gears with the MHB yet...  The Jumper has a Thorp, so the MHB may jsut be one there for show...

IMO, the perfect plate would be a single plate, that is the moded tab-less inner plate (with raised ring around bearing ring) for inner half of thickness, and then the standard outer MHB plate, with reinforced tabs (???), for the outer half of thickness..

XgLcndO.jpg

My thoughts...

Terry

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xeostar said:

Here is an updated version removing the "R" and "L" and cutting back the top edge to avoid the adjustable motor mount. :-)

20200522_210204.jpg

I think this is the perfect shape.  

Now to shape the inner face (the one against the tranny plate) to better fit around the protrusions???

Not sure we need the wrap around on the top???  Maybe remove those and follow the same line as the tranny plate???

More thoughts...  And a few more pints...

Terry

• Like 1

The trouble is, there are clearly a number of add ons that use the mounting points 

so to fit the beetle AND the frog/brat there is already a need to try and meet 2 different set ups.

the previous version didn’t fit the OEM frog but did fit a frog with add-ons.

so.....

hopefully if it fits the beetle it will fit the frog with add-ons.

leta see how this works for the beetle first :)

JJ

• Like 3

I’m in for two black please.  Mine would be international shipping.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 9:34 AM, Problemchild said:

The issue:

click click click

For almost 30 years we've put up with this until @mheald provided us with a solution back in 2016 (a cheap and effective one that didn’t involve us spending £70 on a ball diff).

As mentioned in a few other posts, been trying to develop a new ORV gearbox strengthener with my friend as the @mheald ones aren’t available any more (massive thank you to him as my one is still going strong with a brushless)

Mk1 is now in development and have test fitted. We are now confident of fitment and everything lines up we can get the LH side going.

this is a single shaped piece that will (hopefully - pending testing) clamp the gearbox and limit/minimise/remove the clicking.

gFVyDgv.jpg

I’m hoping that it being a 1 piece solution it will be nice and easy to fit, won’t cost much and will come with bolts.

I guess to plan how much more effort goes into this I’d be interested in knowing who’d like one (or two).

if you are interested then please reply and I’ll add your name to the list 

List:

@Problemchild x2

@Duvetdo x1

@Juhunio x2

@Frog Jumper x1

@Peter_B x2

@KEV THE REV x2

@J@mes x1

@jlcox7 x2

@toyolien x2

@Badcrumble x1