Problemchild

Monster beetle / frog gearbox fix - a new strengthener

2 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

This is the full fat 540 one

Darn . I've bought skimmed and I could have bought full fat for £2 more - I might pull the trigger

13 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Ah , hence the cheapeness . Oh well I'll try it out and go from there - I don't expect the thunder of your B/L

Trust me - that goolRC will be better 

try the skimmed one first 

JJ

Sweet . Don't need much persuading :) . Will the 380 perform anywhere like a Sport tuned ?

Worlds apart haha 

did you see my speed runs at the end of the vid I posted last night - that’s how your beetle will run :)

JJ

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

I have a question. Do you think diff putty would stop the clicking, since it would change how the diff works as opposed to the printed gear box braces?

I would think putty would make it worse.

As we all know, the problem is that the side plates flex under load allowing the diff gears to loosen up to the point where the teeth skip. I think adding something too tacky would cause the gears to spread more worsening the issue.  But to be honest, I’m not sure.  I have no experience with putty.

In my current BF build project, I used a thick silicon goo, but very little of it.  But I’m using the MHeald plates to help with the flexing issue.

Terry

• Like 3

We are going to test 2 more versions 

an additional 0.2mm and a 0.4mm pressure :) this will allow is to work out the best level of pressure 

I think we have it but it’s always best to test a few more versions to make sure we get the best out of the brace :)

JJ

• Like 2

So I’ve been testing the initial prototype hard for a week

grass is the worst surface for the diffs

both the blue version being used in the vid (tarmac and woods) and the original 2 piece brace have clicking on the grass.

here are some pics of the blue one

This is what you will get in the kit...

tXzTJ8C.jpg

And here it is fitted to the beetle

WEDqdOh.jpg

kDoyC5b.jpg

96u8Frz.jpg

we’ve tried a set up that clamps the diff fully until it doesn’t move and I’ve just received today v.6 with 0.0mm, 0.2mm and 0.4mm degrees of additional clamping.

jbCRgfJ.jpg

plus I have the brat/frog version for fitment testing.

should have some more results after the weekend 

Thanks for your patience peeps

JJ

• Like 1

It´s a well made construction and design, but you Maybe should also think About the bearing Nylon housings, the white ones. They have very few material to hold it against popping out of the side plates. There may be some flex left, you do not catch with your braces onto the aluminum side plates.

Hope you know what I mean. Maybe there is some improvement potential left.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

It´s a well made construction and design, but you Maybe should also think About the bearing Nylon housings, the white ones. They have very few material to hold it against popping out of the side plates. There may be some flex left, you do not catch with your braces onto the aluminum side plates.

Hope you know what I mean. Maybe there is some improvement potential left.

Kind regards,

Matthias

Hi,

Yes that is a very good point. I'll take a look at that piece see if there is any room for improvement. Its a fairly tight fit in the pressed pate so it might be hard to get more material in there but I'll take a look.

Pete

• Like 1

Yeah agree - there is only about 1mm there but can certainly be looked at. 

the main approach has been to limit flex across the long metal side plates

cant wait to try the next versions 

more pics and vids coming soon - go away rain ;)

JJ

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xeostar said:

you do not catch with your braces

Couldn't help it - sorry

olly.jpg

• Haha 2

Test fitting of the brat/frog version of the brace that wraps around to protect the gearbox from grounding 

raFOWbQ.jpg

eqMWLUu.jpg

yLAt2nd.jpg

c9ot9HH.jpg

3WQ9T8I.jpg

iI5pUYV.jpg

pJUh9Yd.jpg

This wrap around version will also be able to be able to be purchased (in red and black)

Thoughts??

JJ

• Like 3

This looks good too . Once all tests have been done can we make our final purchase choices based on the results and styles / types  ?

• Like 1

Yeah course - we aren’t gonna hold anyone to anything - it was just to get an idea :)

just dealing with dogbone issues and a snapped servo horn - the beetle is too fast and take a few too many hits ;)

JJ

Yeah, I really like that last design that goes all the way around the bottom - got 2 beetles in the pipeline that will need them when you are satisfied with your design - really impressive work there!

I have beetle issues at the moment 

testing is on pause 

I snapped a servo output shaft (innocuous hit) and then all the electronics started glitching which I think was a dying ESC as it was taking a lot of draw through it (connector, motor and ESC getting hot)

awaiting some new parts but I’d given it a good smashing in the park with no issues apart from the CV joint binding (will post a vid in a bit)

JJ

Latest vid of testing 

the only noise is the unloaded rear wheel spinning at such a rate the tyre balloons and the CV joint binds

JJ

So we think these are ready to go into production.

so a reminder 

red or black

beetle or brat/frog (I.e. no rear bumper)

JJ