Monster beetle / frog gearbox fix - a new strengthener

I would be interrested in 2 pcs 

Both Black. 1 Monster Beetle 1 Blackfoot

5 hours ago, whahooo said:

I would be interrested in 2 pcs 

Both Black. 1 Monster Beetle 1 Blackfoot

Same bumper system on the Blackfoot?

JJ

I do not have any bumper in my blackfoot anymore, so i guess it doesn't Matter.

Edit: It is a Vintage one, ist never had any bumper.

I corrected the previous messege because of the German autocorrect IT wasn't understandable....

Sounds good, would like to order 2 of these setups for the  Monster Beetle 2015 in BLACK  - thanks! 

Afternoon All,

We've got to a good place with testing. The brackets with 0.2mm of initial compression seem to do the job. 

@Problemchild has tested these now on grass with a decent brushless system and they did the job, no clicking! ;-) @Problemchild correct me if I am wrong, did you encounter any clicking with the 0.2 versions?

One word of caution; With these clamps it’s possible to restrict the movement of the diff too much which is not what we want. What seems to be working is to install the clamps, tighten them down (you'll feel the diff starting to tighten) then back off 1/2 a turn. This gives a diff with a little resistance, but still allows it to function. Each gearbox assembly will be slightly different so it will be a case if backing of the screws, so the diff feels just a little restricted but still works. 

The first clamps are coming of the line now are and are the black Monster Beetle (allowing for the fitment of the rear bumper). I was next thinking of doing the Frog/Brat/Mud Blaster wrap around versions in black too then moving on to red versions of them, but I’m happy to go with what people want.

They are £9.99 each for the first one and £5.99 for additional ones after that. This would be delivered to the UK. I will follow up shortly with prices that include shipping for the rest of the world.

If you drop me a PM saying which brackets you'd like, I'll reply with my details and I'll also make a note of what you'd like.

I will be putting these on Ebay too in due course if you’d prefer to use their eco system, they will be slightly more expensive on there to cover the fees mind.

20200623_180210.thumb.jpg.9bd6a9a8c490c45fdcb06c5470e2b970.jpg

IMG-20200623-WA0006.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome - and yes, the vid I posted last night was with these exact 0.2mm braces and running speed passion brushless with 7.2nimh 

I also ran it shortly with a 3s lipo that flipped the beetle instantly and nothing

these are a good improvement over the originals (which were awesome and gave us the impetus to provide this sort of brace to the community again)

so - the beetle ones allow you to attach something to the lower 2 gearbox bolts and the other one wraps all around :)

please PM @Xeostar if you want to order from him 

a few of my pals have seen this and want one so they are getting one too.

obviously (and I think i speak for Pete here) we’d be very open to have continual feedback.

and yes, you can almost lock out the diff of you really tighten it - that’s how we know we think we’ve got the right mix of pressure and adjustment :)

exciting times ;)

JJ

• Like 2

yes totally agree with the feedback.

Would be nice to get the design as slick as possible so it becomes a fit and forget for this chassis and we can run them all we like with no clicking.

:-)

A PM has been sent!

Thanks for all your work on this, guys.

Now, if you really fancy a challenge, how about something that allows you to run hex wheels up front on a Brat or a Frog...?

• Like 2

Hi,

Just a quick update

I was going to put my details in this thread but as @Problemchild suggested if you PM me l'll reply with the information and I can also make a note of what brackets you'd like.

Thanks again,

Pete :-)

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

, how about something that allows you to run hex wheels up front on a Brat or a Frog...?

You’re really going to make me work, huh!?!

Terry

• Haha 1

Yay - lots of orders and love for these 

need to get my poorly beetle back together now 

JJ

• Like 2

Hi,

Just a quick update and to say thanks for all the interest in the brackets.

The first sets have been posted out today and I'm looking forward to hearing what people think.

The red filament is arriving tomorrow so I'll get printing those in earnest.

Drop me a PM if you'd like some and have not already done so :-) 

Thanks again,

Pete

Beetle fixed and I put the brace through it’s paces in an extreme test with a brushless 3s set up!!!

wow this beetle is fast 

the brace performed sooooooo well

JJ

• Like 1

Hi,

Yes As @Problemchild mentioned I've got a few sets if anybody would like them, drop me a PM. Both red and black now too.

Pic.jpg

Any questions just let me know :-)

Pete

• Like 1

Will this work for the re re releases?

How much for a set? Can you ship to the Philippines? 

interested in 2 black, 1 red

On 6/25/2020 at 12:02 AM, Problemchild said:

Beetle fixed and I put the brace through it’s paces in an extreme test with a brushless 3s set up!!!

wow this beetle is fast 

the brace performed sooooooo well

JJ

I don't want to sound negative but is that clicking at 36 seconds, 44 seconds, 1:35, 2:14 etc? Maybe it's just the dog bones in the cups or something?

Like I say, not trying to be negative, it's clearly way better stock either way, the standard diff would slip with a silver can doing launches like that let alone a 3s brushless.

Hi,

I think @Problemchild said it was the front suspension knocking but I'm sure he'll let us know.

I don't think I'd recommend much power through these gearbox though, or anywhere near this much to be honest. That amount of power through these gears was causing very rapid wear. Those alloy diff bevels and small internal diff gears are made of super soft metal and aren't suited to that sort of beating. 

I guess we have to remember these are 1980s designs and weren't intended for brushless and even lithium levels of power. Although it is fun while they last! :-)

• Like 1

Yes - In that video there are some clicks 

44secs - none that I can hear 
1:35secs - none that I can hear 

I did the slow motions to show when it does
2:14secs - 2 Individual clicks  
1:35secs - 1 individual click

There are no other clicks in the 2 other slow motion vids.

I can provide the original vids tooI

bear in mind that any beetle will start clicking on a standard 540 quite quickly, i fitted the original mheald brace and my beetle would still click from time to time, it then got the brushless combo fitted and took a beating before @Xeostar and myself started designing this. My beetle is still running the original gear box internals from 2016, went through 3 x big 3s LiPo packs doing nothing but full throttle starts that would try and flip the car and many other sessions leading up to this final design ;)

ok that sounds a bit defensive but it’s not - just setting the scene. and tbh there is a lot going on in that 1980s designed gearbox 

stopping the sides of the gearbox spreading is the biggest issue but when you look at the gearbox, there are so many tolerances that do not lend themselves to a nice tight gear box.

e.g. The small cogs in the diff and able to move in and out on their shafts 0.5mm each and the outer diff gears push onto the bearings themselves so any tolerance issues here can create a small difference too - especially when putting around 4 x the power through the 40ry old gearbox 🤪

we are very open to feedback

this clamp can put plenty of pressure on the side walls and stop them flexing - which is the main cause of the clicking and the initial reason @mheald created the original 🤘🏻 

JJ

4 hours ago, kid168 said:

Will this work for the re re releases?

How much for a set? Can you ship to the Philippines? 

interested in 2 black, 1 red

My beetle is a rere beetle 

I’ll let @Xeostar (Pete) work out the costs but he’s already sent a few world wide this week

JJ