Problemchild

Monster beetle / frog gearbox fix - a new strengthener

5 hours ago, kid168 said:

Will this work for the re re releases?

How much for a set? Can you ship to the Philippines? 

interested in 2 black, 1 red

Hi,

Yes I can send worldwide no problem. Shipping outside of Europe is an additional £4 for up to two brackets in the one shipment.

I'll drop you a PM with the details :-)

Thanks,

Pete 

18 hours ago, Problemchild said:

bear in mind that any beetle will start clicking on a standard 540 quite quickly

I totally agree hence I said:

21 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

the standard diff would slip with a silver can doing launches like that let alone a 3s brushless.

The fact it works so well with a 3s brushless means a massive improvement. Even with that setup, if you weren't trying to torture it, you could probably get years of runs before you had to replace something. A more modest setup would probably last indefinitely.

Like I said in my original post, I wasn't trying to be overly critical or negative. I'll probably be ordering some at some point because it's way cheaper than a ball diff and I certainly won't need to run a setup any more powerful than in the video. It's going to last longer on 3s brushless with the strengtheners than it would last stock with a silver can. I think that's more than good enough.

I don't mind if I have to replace some inexpensive gears once a year if I'm getting the benefit of brushless power, I do mind having to change them every few months with a 27T so I think the improvement is definitely worthwhile whether you want an immortal standard setup or you want more power without something breaking every other run.

• Like 1

I haven't actually got an MB yet but it's on the hitlist. So can I order one of these? And if so how do I go about it? I'm in the UK too 🙂

2 hours ago, Jonnythefox87 said:

I haven't actually got an MB yet but it's on the hitlist. So can I order one of these? And if so how do I go about it? I'm in the UK too 🙂

Drop @Xeostar a pm -

available in red or black ;)

JJ

• Like 1

Great work , these are selling well , very popular .

I'm just fitting a pair to my Frog with skid plate and CRP rear bumper :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

Great work , these are selling well , very popular .

I'm just fitting a pair to my Frog with skid plate and CRP rear bumper :)

Ooooh - pics :)

JJ

Frog strengtheners in place with self made skid plate and a vintage CRP bumper with self made wider than stock mount plates . I kept the original mount plates to reuse as stock  . I haven't run this anger yet but I'm 100% confident . For those who know , the bumper is upside down as I prefer it this way .

P7010001.JPG

P7010003.JPG

P7010004.JPG

P7010005.JPG

P7010007.JPG

P7010006.JPG

• Like 3

Yes it is . I fitted some spacers to take up the slack between the skid plate and and brace and re-made the CRP brackets as the offset was wrong on the stock brackets and I didn't want to 'flatten out' the originals .

• Like 1

Just gave this a blast round the garden and it is as smooth as silk :) - just need a bigger garden ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Just gave this a blast round the garden and it is as smooth as silk :) - just need a bigger garden ;)

That is good and love the mods for the bumper too! :D

Thats one beefed up frog, looks like it could tackle the Paris - Dakar! B)

• Thanks 1

I gave it a good bolt down , very tight on the nut and bolt pressure and couldn't lock the diff. the spacers were a loose fit to start with so they aren't holding the sides out . I'm very pleased with the result overall  :)

1 minute ago, KEV THE REV said:

I gave it a good bolt down , very tight on the nut and bolt pressure and couldn't lock the diff. the spacers were a loose fit to start with so they aren't holding the sides out . I'm very pleased with the result overall  :)

Ah yeah ok - understood 

there will not be a strict tolerance on 1980s tamiya gearboxes haha

JJ

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

How was the gearbox before 

The gearbox was a new vintage build with not a lot of miles on it , so it's good that I can stop the rot before it starts . The full wrap one will go on my vintage BF when it's restored .

23 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Reminder of the eBay link - or pm him

@Xeostar has posted more than a few dozen kits out in the last few days to all over the world 

we really do hope this massively extends the ORV gearbox life and we honestly can’t think of any other way to manage this 

JJ 

Whats the Difference between the MB and the Blackfoot one?

Since it is now on Ebay uk i can get one easily.

• Like 1

@whahooo

The monster beetle one takes the rear bumper 

the other version doesn’t (the frog, brat, Blackfoot doesn’t have this bumper)

the frog/brat/Blackfoot version also protects the lower side of the gearbox (the beetle bumper does this already)

image.thumb.jpeg.b3cb10dd6c9d4ff99d56036c60d42e2d.jpeg

image.jpeg.999d76338de0a649e03b23796743ab06.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1