Problemchild

Monster beetle / frog gearbox fix - a new strengthener

You can use both but you don't need to use the MIP if you use a brace  .The brace stops the alu side panels from deforming and mashing the gears when using the original bevel gear set up  .

6 minutes ago, rc4ever said:

Hello all sorry for coming late to the discussion, I just bought and finished my MB and stumbled across this site and information (gearbox brace) if purchased do I need the MIP ball diff cause I just ordered it from my LHS, can I use both ?

You won’t need both 

the MIP doesn’t create the same issues of spreading the side walls of the gearbox 

this is a cheap alternative to the MIP

JJ

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rc4ever said:

Cool so how does some get there hands on the a set of the braces.

Contact Pete ( Xeostar) and ask for set for your model and choice of colour from his collection   :-

xeostar

On 11/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, Xeostar said:

Hi,

When installing make sure they are not too tight. The diff needs to be still smooth and free to rotate but supported. We found tightened down then 1/2 a turn back worked but that will vary for each gearbox.

Although if your just running in your kitchen with fresh gears the normal gearbox unsupported should be just fine on it's own for this. It's only when the gearboxes are pushed hard at power and on grippy surfaces (like grass) the the limitations start to show and the diffs start to click and the gears jump teeth. If your gearbox sounds rough in your kitchen it sounds like something isn't right. 

I'd take the braces off (or back them right off) and see how your gearbox sounds in your kitchen on it's own.

Pete

Update, I backed off the nuts a little but still with enough clamping force to hold the diff snuggly. Have taken it for its first run and all seems good, cheers:)

Hi Tommyh89,

Yes sure they are £9.99 for the first brace (plus £4 international postage outside the UK if needed).  Any additional braces after the first would be £6.99 each.

If you'd like any more info feel free to ask on here or drop me a message direct.

Pete :-)

• Like 1

Hi @Montium,

Sorry about the PM issue, I took a look and I'd reached my PM folder size limit.

I've deleted a few old ones now so we should be good. I'll drop you a PM back :-)

Pete

Evening all,

I've had a bit of a renewed interest in the gearbox fix braces of late so I did a run of a few. All in black and both types.

If anybody fancies getting hold of a set drop me a PM and I'll send you across the details.

If you are wondering if they work, rather than me giving my thoughts which you'd rightly think could be biased :-) maybe a few people running them would be kind enough to let us know their experience?

1 hour ago, Xeostar said:

Evening all,

I've had a bit of a renewed interest in the gearbox fix braces of late so I did a run of a few. All in black and both types.

If anybody fancies getting hold of a set drop me a PM and I'll send you across the details.

If you are wondering if they work, rather than me giving my thoughts which you'd rightly think could be biased :-) maybe a few people running them would be kind enough to let us know their experience?

👍 from me on my Brat though to be fair I’m a light runner

• Like 1

Monster Beetle is now better with brace 👍.  No more clicking of the diffs and I am using stock 540 motor.  Note the braces shape is slightly different between MB and Frog

• Like 1

It's another positive review from me.  Have one of the @Xeostar braces on my original Mud Blaster running a Johnson four slot silver can and no issues whatsoever.

• Like 1

Ordered two sets and they got shipped the day after. Arrived some days later even though it was over seas shipping. Really impressed!

The kit was complete with hardware and it fits without any issues. Took me about 15 minutes to assemble.

Before and after pictures below.

IMG-2178.jpg

IMG-2182.jpg

• Like 5

Who has these for sale,have quite a few orv kits,made something similar 35 years ago but with machined aluminum that a freind machined a a local Trade School to stop the cases from spreading under pressure!

On 2/2/2022 at 6:05 PM, Xeostar said:

Evening all,

Hi Pete.  I'm interested in a set of these and have sent you a PM.  Thanks.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 9:07 AM, NZ Lunchbox said:

Hi Pete.  I'm interested in a set of these and have sent you a PM.  Thanks.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:56 AM, drc35 said:

Who has these for sale,have quite a few orv kits,made something similar 35 years ago but with machined aluminum that a freind machined a a local Trade School to stop the cases from spreading under pressure!

hey both 

@Xeostar should be able to help you out 

think one of you came across from my YouTube channel

JJ

• Like 1

I’d like to get one for a monster beetle as well please! I’ve pm’d xeostar but as a new member I’m not sure he got it.

thanks

18 hours ago, PiperFixer said:

I’d like to get one for a monster beetle as well please! I’ve pm’d xeostar but as a new member I’m not sure he got it.

thanks

Hi PiperFixer,

Thanks for the PM, got it:D.  I'll drop you a note back now, my pesky work keeps getting in the way of my Tamiya time :wacko:

If anybody else fancies a set drop me a PM. Price and shipping is the same as it has been.

Thanks

Anybody been running these for a while now and got any feedback about how they are holding up?

They have been out for a maybe a couple of years now so we might be able to get some long term data.

• Like 1

That fact that no one ahs complained in two years says a lot...

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

That fact that no one ahs complained in two years says a lot...

Terry

Yes I'd never thought of it that way, good point :D

1 hour ago, Xeostar said:

Anybody been running these for a while now and got any feedback about how they are holding up?

They have been out for a maybe a couple of years now so we might be able to get some long term data.

Hey mate - you know mine is doing well :) but my use rates are not as high as other users 

but I am putting 3s brushless through it 

JJ

• Like 1