Sign in to follow this  
Bastiaan

Painting - backing body but how about the wing?

Hi all,

This maybe is a noob question but hey, that's what I am ;)

I am about to paint the body of a 1991 Top Force I restored. I am going to use the standard PS-17 metallic green, and want to back it with silver and then with black. But I am wondering: how about the wing? A wing that is backed with silver/black would look silly. But if I don't back it, the color would look very different from the body I presume. Or is it possible to use this order on the wing: green, silver, green? 

Any ideas? Thanks!

If you're going green/silver/black on the body, go green/silver/green on the wing - just remember the green will probably be a matt/eggshell finish as opposed to glossy.

The silver should give you enough opacity on the wing without needing a black layer. If it doesn't, green/silver/black/silver/green.

• Thanks 1

I think this is part of the reason why modern buggy racers don't paint their wings.  Another reason is that (depending on the moulding and because most wings are a convex shape) sometimes the overspray film is on the underside, so the "inside" of the wing is the visible part when fitted.

As you say, in theory you could spray the visible colour first from the bottom, then add the backing colour, then add another coat of the visible colour on top.  Because it will be sandwiching the backing colour, the final colour should be the same on each side, although the underside won't have a gloss finish.

Does PS-17 definitely need backing?  It's been a long time since I painted a PS-17 body and I can't remember how transparent it is.

• Thanks 1

On my Avante 89, I did it as followed:

Body: PS16, light coat of silver, then black.

Wing: PS16 thorougly, hard to get enough paint in the winglets shape. Then silver, followed by PS16 again. You can do a thicker coat as the last one, giving a more shiny look as a thin coat. (paint can merge better). Silver stops light also very good due to the reflecting particles, so no need for a black coat on the wing in my eyes.

Br,

Matthias

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bastiaan said:

Hi all,

This maybe is a noob question but hey, that's what I am ;)

I am about to paint the body of a 1991 Top Force I restored. I am going to use the standard PS-17 metallic green, and want to back it with silver and then with black. But I am wondering: how about the wing? A wing that is backed with silver/black would look silly. But if I don't back it, the color would look very different from the body I presume. Or is it possible to use this order on the wing: green, silver, green? 

Any ideas? Thanks!

if there is a restoration on the go, we need pics!

as mentioned above by ruebiracer, thats the way i would do it too!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, catman79 said:

if there is a restoration on the go, we need pics!

as mentioned above by ruebiracer, thats the way i would do it too!

There are some pics in the Vintage Tamiya thread (Top Force 1991). Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks all! Really helpful. I will go for green-silver-green. Will post some pics when done!

to be honest, with a wing, you could get away with giving the underside a coat of acrylic clear or TS-clear to give it a shiny finish. I've done it with a couple that I know won't get abused and it looks good.

• Like 1

I just paint the underside to give it some colour.

The rest is too exposed and open to damage if you're running it.

2013-06-28_13-39-30_898.md.jpg

If it is a shelf queen, I'd go with what @TWINSET suggests and go green/silver/black/silver/green, but with a gloss clear top coat.

• Like 1