Bwaaatch

Dying green parts blue: idiots guide, please!

I'd like some WR02-CB L/N and M parts in blue. The stock parts are black, and yellow-green parts are available as spares/hop-ups. But I want blue!

What blue? Mini4wd Racers box Blue

I wonder if anyone can suggest my best route to this?

It would be for a car that largely sits on the shelf, but perhaps gets some light road running, so painting is an option. But I guess ideally I would dye the parts, at least to get myself into the realm of 'blue' so that any chips to a top coat of paint don't show so much. I have these parts in black, but don't mind buying the green ones if that's a better starting point.

If I could dye myself the whole way there I'd be delighted.!

I hear a lot about Rit dye on these forums, and i know that some parts dye better than other, depending on what they are made from (eg. nylon seems to dye well, right?)

But the manual doesn't' tell me what the parts are made from.

I also hear talk of priming and lots of fine grit paper and finishing with a top coat, more fine grit etc. If that's the route, could anyone link me to a good tutorial and materials list that has worked for them?

Thanks!

BTW, my plan is for a Comical Hornet that looks like a Mini4wd Racers Box :-) So I'd also be curious if anyone has experience of how to get a cloudy finish on the lexan (other than accidentally keeping the protective film on???).

tamiya-47408-1-800x800_0.jpg

4e402a561858258af93734322befdfef.jpg

81tAwCn3DcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Dye only works to go darker. Even if they are dyeable, I don't think you'll reach that light of a blue color starting from green. You might reach a dark teal.

As to what plastics, yes nylon is very easy, while ABS will typically warp beyond use long before it takes up any appreciable dye. Tamiya is good about marking the large components like chassis with >ABS< marks to determine plastic, but they often leave the sprues unlabeled. It's frustrating.

The dye is pretty cheap though, you can try it with some spare plastic bits from the sprue before you subject the real parts to near-boiling temps.

For the cloud finish I think using a matte clear on the outside of the body is likely the easiest method.