NovalutionGSi

Williams FW07 Recommission

Well I was pointed in the direction of this site by one of my club mates.

The car used to belong to my Dad, sort of still does in a way, it was on his possession before I was born, so it's roughly 38 years old. 

So in the late 90s, we recommissioned the car and ran it a local club. Sadly as with racing a breakage of course occurred. The car then was mothballed and donated the motor mount and rear axle for a school project. 

Fast forward to a week or so ago I dug the car out and started looking for parts.

It certainly needs most of it.

20200502_142457.jpg

20200502_162716.jpg

So I found some parts, the motor mount and diff parts on EBay. So got those parts bought and fitted. 

There was also a part sticker sheet included.

20200515_200852.jpg

So with the motor mount fitted.there is a screw that needs countersinking but a minor issue. 

As you can see in this picture, the front upright needs to be replaced. 

20200517_170353.jpg

But put the shell on and it doesn't look to bad.

I shall be doing some repairs to the shell for the time being.

So now it's more the parts I'm after. 

Main thing is the SP1133 front upright.

Front wheels as I only have 1 at present 

And the shell in the future. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

20200517_170721.jpg

• Like 1

Well done with the rescue, i have just finished restoring a couple of these. It did take a while to find all the missing bits, but stick with it, they look great when done.

J

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

Well done with the rescue, i have just finished restoring a couple of these. It did take a while to find all the missing bits, but stick with it, they look great when done.

J

I'm watching a set of uprights that are in America but due to the import fees make it twice the price.

As a temp measure while I find the correct parts I'll be handing the car over to a mate to draw up the upright and the 3D print a couple of sets. Also a front wing. 

By the way, the front uprights were only plastic on the competition special, if you are not fussed about originality, the non CS uprights were made of aluminium and are a direct replacement for them. These were used on nearly all the early onroad cars that had the metal chassis, and they come up more often than the plastic ones.

As for wheels, your car would have had the Diplo front tyres, and unless you have a time machine, or are a wizard, you are not going to find any, but happily, once again, the front wheels off of the other onroad cars of the time will fit, and they are available.

J

• Like 1

I do have a spare body left over from my restos. It is complete and in very good condition, it just wants rubbing down and painting, and the front wings are fine.

I will PM a picture to you, and you can make me an offer if you are interested.

J

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

By the way, the front uprights were only plastic on the competition special, if you are not fussed about originality, the non CS uprights were made of aluminium and are a direct replacement for them. These were used on nearly all the early onroad cars that had the metal chassis, and they come up more often than the plastic ones.

As for wheels, your car would have had the Diplo front tyres, and unless you have a time machine, or are a wizard, you are not going to find any, but happily, once again, the front wheels off of the other onroad cars of the time will fit, and they are available.

J

Now that's the sort of info I like. Metal uprights sound like a plan. I'll find some part numbers.

I have already found a set of wheels that would fit, they are just orange. Yes it used to have the Diplo wheels but they have disappeared and had full foam fronts on it.

I'll await the PM. 

4 minutes ago, NovalutionGSi said:

Now that's the sort of info I like. Metal uprights sound like a plan. I'll find some part numbers

I am way ahead of you...

The ones on the left are the original hens teeth plastic ones, and on the right, the metal upright set.

You may find a beat up chassis online that has the uprights you could use.

The part numbers are on the bag.

J

spacer.pngspacer.png