Super ally

Best tamiya 2wd buggy of the 80's.

What tamiya 2wd buggy of the 80's do you think was the best.Going by looks,build quality,performance and popularity.I think the hornet but what do you members think.

For me it would be the Fox, I like the look and the independent rear suspension is a bonus over the Hornet.

Objectively the Madcap though, none of the issues of the Astute without the price tag too and the best performer overall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I had a Madcap, quite a robust thing, but also a heavy understeering car. Most of the time friend and his Falcon drew circles around me.:lol:

But suspensionwise, Madcap was excellent after retrofitting real oil dampers. Balldiff was a weak point sometimes...

• Like 2

IMO the Hornet was just the worst. It looked ok but the handling was appalling, my sand rover drove better than a hornet. The only thing it gets points for is it's popularity, but a lot of that was driven by it's pricing.

On balance I'd say my vote would go the Wild One. It looked realistic, had independent suspension all round, and drove well into the bargain.

• Like 2

IMO its the Fox.   Its the only one of the early buggies that could actually go club racing and have respectable performance.   Not as many flaws as the other buggies of the time.

I don't remember when the Madcap was introduced.  The design layout was good, but everything was very flexible and under-engineered if you ask me.

• Like 4

I'll pretty much echo the others. My overall pick is the Fox. Besides being a decent performer, its lithe looks and beautiful, but not over-the-top, color scheme makes it a winner in my book.

The Wild One was a close second with its realistic styling and stable, low COG.

The Astute and Madcap were the two others that came to mind. The Astute, while pretty, was flawed. I like the Madcap and, with oil shocks, found it to be a respectable performer with a unique but attractive appearance.

• Like 5

Cutting it fine , but the Astute was released in Sept 1989 and would run rings around a Fox, with the Super Astute being re re'd parts are available, but a good Astute is very hard to find......... I have many Super Astutes but only one Astute, it was a real mess when I got it, literally half a car, but with help from people here it lives again

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

49921969207_5194a64ec8_k.jpg

How does the one with the spiked front tires handle?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrowka said:

How does the one with the spiked front tires handle?

It doesn’t anymore as it’s old and fragile, but back in the 80’s on Australian 80’s tracks it was the go to tyre for a lot of buggies (well in my club anyway). Ribbed tyres on our surface were too edgy and quite often caused the car to spin on 1 particular corner. I first tried oval blocks on the front which helped a lot but were a bit under steer prone. These were the best balance. Oh and they look cool as!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Cutting it fine , but the Astute was released in Sept 1989 and would run rings around a Fox,

Yeah, for some reason I always think of the Astute/Madcap/King Cab/Egress as 90's cars since they're so close to the end of the decade. Maybe its because they were fresh designs (except for the Avante-based Egress).

• Like 1

For me it was any of the SRB chassis cars. Specifically the Super Champ (even though some do not feel it is an SRB)

Hands down gotta be the Fox for me, Love the looks and the performance epically with the stabilizer bar kit

I wonder why if there's so much love for the Fox, how come the Novafox is discontinued so early????

33 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I wonder why if there's so much love for the Fox, how come the Novafox is discontinued so early????

People loved the car, not the price ?  Or perhaps just a lack of interest outside hard core Tamiya fanatics ?

I thought the price was ok when it was first re+released, approx £130(?)

I expected to be around longer, I'm sure it will get another rin

From the Buggys i own i would say the Wild One is the best.

It is very massive and can take a beating, oilshocks, independent Suspension, realistic looks and its very fast.

3 hours ago, toyolien said:

Wasn't the Novafox around from 2013 until recently? And it was also pretty well priced, I would have thought everyone who wanted one had one by now. Its just those people who don't know they want one because they have rediscovered rc cars yet who don't have one?

28 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Wasn't the Novafox around from 2013 until recently? And it was also pretty well priced, I would have thought everyone who wanted one had one by now. Its just those people who don't know they want one because they have rediscovered rc cars yet who don't have one?

IIRC, the Novafox (and the Boomerang, I think) came out back then for a short while then disappeared only to come back for another relatively short time recently. I agree much of it could be those recently returning to the hobby and just missed out on it might be the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

It did. I was just thought it would have been round for a lot longer as there really isn't a 2wd buggy like it. I guess it's the 2wd version of the Super Hotshot and that's still going.

• Like 1

Paging Dr. Griffbolt, Dr. Griffbolt to the tanning booth, please....