Sign in to follow this  
steffiemorris

Yellow Shocks and what to do?

Hi, so another (noob) question. How to proceed with the yellow Tamiya shocks. (in my case on my Falcon).

How do i know if they are still ok? what should i do with them? How can I feel if they are ok?
What i noticed that in the front of my Falcon only returns halfway when pushing down. So the springs might not be as strong anymore? Dampening of the shocks feel ok. I don't hear any noise coming from air. And they also don't leak.

Id strip the down, check the seals are ok and put new damper oil in. They are probably only half full of oil or contaminated 

JJ

I would replace the black seals anyway with red, clear or even better aftermarket O-rings and give them a full service. Check the piston rods, if they show up scratches or excessive wear. But if they don´t leak, Piston rods should be still o.k.. An oil change after all these years shouldn´t be a failure, too.

3 hours ago, steffiemorris said:

Hi, so another (noob) question. How to proceed with the yellow Tamiya shocks. (in my case on my Falcon).

How do i know if they are still ok? what should i do with them? How can I feel if they are ok?
What i noticed that in the front of my Falcon only returns halfway when pushing down. So the springs might not be as strong anymore? Dampening of the shocks feel ok. I don't hear any noise coming from air. And they also don't leak.

I would suggest soft red o rings for the shafts 50597, and new top seals 50600. Rebuild with these new seals and some new 400cst oil. If you don't have tamiya, get any good brand silicone 400cst oil, it's usually better value and performance. I use Core RC myself, but there are loads. With decent seals and oil they are good dampers.

• Like 1