Sign in to follow this  
Ferruz

Driver figure mold

After buying and receiving yet another driver figure for my buggy cars, I started thinking: what about trying to make a good old mold of the torso and helmet/face sections, in order to be able to do them myself? They look like realtively easy items ro reproduce, although I've never tried anything like it before, and I don't have a 3D printer. 

20200522-161411.jpg

I'm pretty sure somebody posted some pics of their work in the matter on the forum not long ago, but I can't remember where and wasn't able to find it.

So, before I start... did anybody engage in this, and with which results? What materials did you use?

Thanks in advance for any input! I'm curious to see what you come up with.

12 hours ago, Ferruz said:

After buying and receiving yet another driver figure for my buggy cars, I started thinking: what about trying to make a good old mold of the torso and helmet/face sections, in order to be able to do them myself? They look like realtively easy items ro reproduce, although I've never tried anything like it before, and I don't have a 3D printer. 

I'm pretty sure somebody posted some pics of their work in the matter on the forum not long ago, but I can't remember where and wasn't able to find it.

So, before I start... did anybody engage in this, and with which results? What materials did you use?

Thanks in advance for any input! I'm curious to see what you come up with.

I made RTV-molds for the XR311/Cheetah driver, Rough Rider/Super Champ driver, Porsche 959 heads, Sand Scorcher nose cone and several others before Tamiya started with re-releases. Molding copies in resin from RTV-molds is relatively easy, but the problem is cost. Even when buying RTV-silicone and resin in larger than normal hobby-quantities, the resulting cost of each copy isn't that much lower than the original parts. And the RTV-molds don't last forever. So, in theory, making copies can quite often seem to be a way of saving money, but in reality very little, if anything, can be saved.

So, now that many of the old parts have again become available, I only make resin copies of parts that can't be bought new. It's a quite fun activity though!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@Mokei Kagaku Thank you for your detailed explanation. Better forget about it altogether then, and be thankful that we live in the re-release days. But I'm sure it's fun to try!

3D printing is the way forward. A friend used to have a 3D printing company and he operated a few scan machines in shopping malls for the public to buy their own face on a bobble head. The prints were made of paper with added binder and colour. This was an easy process. I had some ideas for figures (like modern rally drivers heads with open helmets). Sadly he sold the company so I can't experiment anymore (scale is an issue). To give you an impression how it works see here https://www.thebobbleshop.nl/huur-een-bobbleshop/ In this case you can use the heads for RC-car interiors. Full scans are aso possible. The process is a little expensive at the moment but prices drop.

driver.JPG

2015-11-25 19.01.20 (2).jpg

• Like 1