I was thinking about one of the Avante's. But theyre expensive! Why are they so pricey and are they better than say a hornet or a fox with speed and handling? 

The avante is four wheel drive with a particularly complex suspension and steering arrangement. It uses a lot of machined aluminium and FRP / carbon fibre in its construction.

Its an engineering piece of sculpture that is stunning to build and then look at.

• Like 2

Handling is relative and is totally dependant on how and where its being used.

Compared to a hornet it will handle better. 

Let's.not beat around the bush. Compared to a hornet it will be light years better. Hornets are terrible, terrible handling cars.  Probably the.worst handling hobby grade RC available.  But yet awesome all the same

• Like 2

I just love all the Tamiya kits so much because they've been around so long and I had one as a kid and it brings back memories. And theyre fun for me and my dad to put together.

Although it actually is a far better runner than both, the Fox and Honet, it is certainly one RC car to avoid. Unless of course you come across one in some garage sale for $10. If you have the money they ask for the Avante, you sure have a lot of options. And that in and out the the Tamiya catalog.

Does it handle well compared to modern or even ten year old designs? No it’s awful! But then it’s a 30 year old design. It’s fun to zoom around though. 

it’s engaging trying to set it up to work better and if you build and paint it well it looks like nothing else. For entertainment purposes it’s good value. 

painting the driver took longer than an entire DN01 build. Heck masking the cockpit took longer than most buggy builds!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Howards said:

Does it handle well compared to modern or even ten year old designs? No it’s awful! But then it’s a 30 year old design. It’s fun to zoom around though. 

it’s engaging trying to set it up to work better and if you build and paint it well it looks like nothing else. For entertainment purposes it’s good value. 

painting the driver took longer than an entire DN01 build. Heck masking the cockpit took longer than most buggy builds!

When you pay big money for an avante you better be very good at building and painting kits.

5 hours ago, Super ally said:

When you pay big money for an avante you better be very good at building and painting kits.

Mine came out pretty well I think. It took a long, long time. Backed the PS-16 with silver then black for a deeper metallic colour. 

IMG_0665.png

IMG_0694.png

spacer.png

Shame I binned it on Tarmac and scuffed up the lid. 

spacer.png

• Like 3