Andyfish2000

Unbuilt rising fighter - what to do with it?

Got myself an unbuilt rising fighter cheap on eBay, and was going to let daughter build and drive but both of them are happy with a madbull and new fighters, so wondering what to do with it now and looking for suggestions 

thoughts so far - 

1). A recent lockdown driving competition in the garden demonstrated how uncompetitive my hotshot was, so thinking I could build it, maybe add a sport tuned and lipo, to race the kids in garden  

2)  sell / part ex / swap it for a better off roader that would drive, handle and look better

3)  I am keen to build something that I could hop up with a load of bling which was on show (unlike my hopped up on roaders which get fully covered by a shell) but unsure if the RF is worth it or something else would be better with more available cheap parts on eBay from china.

Any thoughts please?

It is a very basic chassis, in need of a fair few mods if you are to race on an even footing against Neo Fighters, or even Mad Bulls. However if hop ups are your thing, getting it to this point might be fun. 

Failing that, maybe sell it on and get a Neo yourself? Having a common platform for family racing has advantages such as a common spares pool and no claims of "Daddy only won because of his car" etc.

Hmmm yes, perhaps a sand viper would be fun to hop up and run.  I feel another wanted thread coming on.....along with a for sale one. 😀👍

9 hours ago, Andyfish2000 said:

Got myself an unbuilt rising fighter cheap on eBay, and was going to let daughter build and drive but both of them are happy with a madbull and new fighters, so wondering what to do with it now and looking for suggestions 

thoughts so far - 

1). A recent lockdown driving competition in the garden demonstrated how uncompetitive my hotshot was, so thinking I could build it, maybe add a sport tuned and lipo, to race the kids in garden  

2)  sell / part ex / swap it for a better off roader that would drive, handle and look better

3)  I am keen to build something that I could hop up with a load of bling which was on show (unlike my hopped up on roaders which get fully covered by a shell) but unsure if the RF is worth it or something else would be better with more available cheap parts on eBay from china.

Any thoughts please?

1. Flog the RF and spend the money on some bits for the Hotshot. Shouldn't be too difficult to get it to outperform a MadBull or a neo fighter. More power always works well ;)

2.  Good idea, hornet style rear suspension with the whole gearbox as unsprung weight is an inherently poor design. Anything with double wishbone suspension will be a huge improvement. As @Finnsllc said, a DT-02 or DT-03 would be a cost effective option, but they do have limited gearing options.

3. Bling does not equate to going fast in a lot of cases. Replacing plastic with aluminium makes things go together better with less slop, but usually adds weight as well, which if you use a lot will affect the handling and the acceleration. I'd rather be the underdog racing the old hotshot against the newer cars, it's a lot more satisfying getting an old design to perform than buying the new performance out of the box. Also the hotshot is not an inherently bad design, it's just a bit on the heavy side and the transmission has a bit more drag due to a couple more gears than you would find in the Neo-fighter transmission. But a), you can overcome these issues with more power:D, and b), the Neo-fighters suffer from torque steer, which the Hotshot doesn't.

4.Practice. Formula 1 drivers are always blaming their 'uncompetitive' cars ;) :ph34r: It's not always the fastest car that wins but the smoothest driver.

5. As a parent you should be letting your child win anyway ! :D

It's not worth much so I'd say keep it and build it, then monsterise it and whip the mad bull into shape!😁

13 hours ago, Andyfish2000 said:

thoughts so far - 

Any thoughts please?

Keep it for a fun daft basher? A sport tuned in, and some bearings you could have some fun round the garden or the park. Plenty of spare bodies around as well cheap enough so if you break it your not as bothered

Build it , get it on eBay and recycle the cash back into your hobby.

3 wins imo that way 👍

You enjoy the build

You cash in on the high prices right now

You spend the money in a way that is more stimulating to you

And no more dad excuses as to why daughters can beat you around the track 😂

A good workman never blames is tools 😉

Build a Super Rising Fighter, like i built Ultra G from a Grasshopper 2 (they share the same tub). It will cost you way more than a Sand Viper, probably involve some swearing, but the end result it rad as badword

I woukd suggest going the original DT03 front suspension route though. 

😉