XJman

anyone identify this chassis.

I was digging through my RC box and came across this chassis. It looks like maybe a ta01 or ta02 but the bottom of the tub isn't flat. Anyone know what it is and if i can get parts for it?

It looks like this might make a decent rally car if I can get some upgraded parts for it.

20200524_211926.jpg

20200524_211909.jpg

• Like 2

That is an unusual beast - AFAIK that chassis tub only came as a XB model. However I believe that most of the suspension and drivetrain parts are standard DF-01, so spares should be easy enough to get.

It may have been an XB model. I just can't recall what it may have been from. I'll look into the df01 though. Do they make hop up parts for it? Most of what i find is just replacement stuff. I'd like to find better shocks, diffs, and propshaft minimum.

The dust cover is great, I'd love to get one of those for my DF-01.

Yeah that's what struck me as possible rally car. I'm currently hunting down what kinds of upgraded parts are out there. The arms seem a little dubious and the shocks are undampened.

In my short research some onroad ta01 stuff should fit.

Indeed. Most TA-02 parts will also fit. The key hop-ups would be a metal motor mount as the stock plastic one is very prone to cracking, a steel pinion and all-plastic gearset as the soft alloy pinion and counter gears wear out very fast turning the gearbox grease into grinding paste, a better propshaft as the stock one tends to bend and deform at speed, and possibly a ballraced alloy steering rack as the stock one tends to be rather sloppy even when new, and only gets worse over time.

The propshaft would have to be a TA-01/DF-01 part, but the rest can be TA-01 or -02 as they are interchangeable.

This is pretty great. I've got to dig around through my RC stuff more often.

So hopefully i can get some stuff together and convert this over to a rally setup. I don't think i drove it very much and may have been an original plan when i got it. Everything i have seen makes it seem pretty easy.

Are there companies that you recommend that make parts for it besides Tamiya? I've seen some yeah racing stuff but not much else.

I also typically go for Yeah Racing stuff where I can, as it seems to be both strong and well-finished. Their blue anodising is also a nice match for Tamiya's own in most cases.

If they don't make the bits I want for a given car, I look next at GPM's offerings, as while they aren't typically as well-finished as Yeah Racing's parts and their blue anodising is noticeably darker than Tamiya's, they are good and strong. Just be aware that Jazrider and others tend to sell clones that look very much the same but aren't made to the same standard in my experience.

3Racing is sometimes worth a look, but I have only tried their shocks (which were disappointing) so I can't recommend them personally. Others report having had good experiences with them though, so maybe I was just unlucky.

Then there are smaller concerns such as Pargu and Precisiongeek, making smaller volumes of parts to a high standard. I use a Pargu motor mount and Precisiongeek axles in my TA-02, and they are very nicely made.

I'll take a look at those. To be honest after building the ta05vdf the shocks in that kit are stunning for a kit set. I've actually never found an aftermarket set that is smoother than those.
I'm making a list now for this project. It's next up after I complete the other chassis.
I'm also tossing up buying a xv01. I'll have to see how it goes once I'm back to work.

That is the first version of the HUMMER. A wonderful piece of chassis that is. Don't destroy it for heaven's sake!

7 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

That is the first version of the HUMMER. A wonderful piece of chassis that is. Don't destroy it for heaven's sake!

It's the XB-version of the Hummer (factory-built), which was released after the kit version. The kit was released in 1995, the first version of the XB in 2002 and second XB-version in 2007. The chassis in the photos is the 2007 XB-version.

As pointed out above, chassis tub length is the same as TA01/DF01, so TA01/DF01 prop shaft fits. The suspension arms are however unique for this chassis (officially dubbed Dirt 4WD by Tamiya).  However, they use TA01 wheelshafts and TA02 (front) driveshafts and TA01/DF01 uprights, so just the suspension arms themselves can be a little difficult to source. If you convert to TA01 or DF01, the suspension arms must be replaced with readily available TA01/TA02/DF01 suspension arms anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So is it worth something to someone besides me? If it is I won't mess with it.

Oh, had I have something to give in exchange for that one I know I'd have one BIG smile on this here face :D

• Like 1

It is the hummer. I found the body and it clips to the bar in the front.

So with that ironed out. If I started hacking and modifying this chassis would I be doing it a disservice? The long travel is ideal for what i want to do, so is the shaft drive and chassis cover. If the ta01 parts will fit there should be plenty of good parts out there

Or maybe wait for income again and get a xv01?

If you chose to go through with that, then you're modifying a classic model, not just any chassis that's laying around or that you can just go out and find at any LHS. I would not have the hart to mod it myself, but that's just me.

Yes, most TA-01 parts will work on this one.

The XV-01 is one great Rally chassis.

Well, now I feel bad. I guess I'll shelf queen it. I know there are Tamiya models people will walk through badword to get. I don't think this is one of them but on the off chance it is one day, I'll stay my hand. I'll be saving to get a xv01 or tt02.