toybaron

Rough Rider w RC Channel rear suspension

I've recently had the chance to re-visit some old RC projects -- some that I started years ago (some more than 10 years ago!)...

Not sure when I started this one but it's almost ready to be considered done for me. I had a decent SRB set up and added the RC Channel rear suspension to it. I also added AYK SuperTrail shocks.

My specific question is wether I still need the stock // vintage torsion bars set up as originally installed, as the rear is much too stiff.

Parts seem pretty hard to find. I'm missing the M10 servo post and a servo spring. Is it the case where even the re-re version is quite dear and parts unobtanium?

Finally, I'm seeking a decent to excellent body. I'm game for doing a Buggy Champ body myself (seeking a lead for one -- ) but these seem to be not readily available. I'd also consider acquiring a vintage or re-re one that's been done very well and suitable for a shelf queen --feel free to ping...

IMG_6181.jpg

Where are you based Toybaron? - RPP Hobby in the US have the Rough Rider/Buggy Champ re-re body sets for $39.20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Buggy-Champ-Body-Set-TAM51386/310729205429?epid=1456263174&hash=item4858e766b5:g:6l4AAOxyHQlSFoqs:sc:USPSPriority!95112!US!-1

As for the rear suspension - yes, I would definitely remove the torsion bars if you're running coil-over shocks too.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

ps. I saw that a US seller on ebay currently has a vintage Rough Rider body for $40 too, but that is not complete and not in great condition by the look of it - I'd be inclined to buy the re-re shell and paint it yourself to get the finish you want... unless 'vintage' authenticity is really important of course - although as you say, you're probably going to have to resort to some re-re parts anyway for this restoration.

Posting a quick pic of my finished deco'd body, Tamiya magic does it again. Re-re body, removed the torsion bars, adding a generic Parma front body mount, on the shelf it goes for now...

IMG_6202.jpg

• Like 3