TheOtherGuy

Vintage Tamiya Falcon found in the attic...

InkedRIMG2375b.jpg.fa86a852b9c6bbe9181f9

Poking one of these in each cup may keep the dogbone centred and not drop out.

Haven't tried this myself, but would be worth a try seeing how easy it is to do.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:46 PM, TheOtherGuy said:

I´ll try this one, but definitely looking out for the axles...

Blocking the swingarm from going down too far does the same, and doesn't put excessive wear on the shocks i think?
I can remember that on both me and my brother's falcon the swingarm and chassis had some wear making the swingarm pivot down too much. Simple solution back then was some layers of tape to act as a bumpstop.

Cut a small plug shape from the foam, insert it into each inner and outer drive cup, before the dogbones go in.  The foam acts like a spring, tries to keep the dogbone centered between the cups, doesn't allow them to go too far into either cup.  If it can't go all the way into one cup, it shouldn't be able to pop out of the other side... so long as all the suspension is moving the way it should.  I pulled an RC10 upper arm and snapped a shot, you can just barely see it stuffed in there (it's not even straight :), a normal one is on the ball to the left.  I usually like to use disposable orange foam ear plugs (because I have a box full, any disposable ear plug will work), they have almost no tension, so you can fit a nice sized piece in there, and they 'squish' easily so they can't really put any force on the dogbone.  Try a piece about 6mm/ 1/4" long, just stuff it into each cup, assemble the suspension and check for binding.  If it's all good, it is!  Add or take away as needed.

RC10's had an actual spring in the outdrive cup already, but I believe they recommended the foam in the inner cup as extra insurance (and it keeps dirt from filling the cup!).  It's just something I've been doing for so long... that I do not remember where the idea originated.  It does eventually wear out, but the cost is little more than the time to cut new ones and replace them.

RIMG2522.JPG

The project is going on...

Now I´m looking for some replacement shock absorbers. How do I have to measure the length of the shocks (or do I have to measure the piston rod, too)?

IMG-7313.jpg

IMG-7314.jpg

Centre of eye to centre of eye.

From memory the front are 80mm and rear 90mm?

45 minutes ago, Falcon#5 said:

Centre of eye to centre of eye.

From memory the front are 80mm and rear 90mm?

When I measure from eye to eye it“s roughly 80mm more like 85mm for the front, 105nm for rear, with pulled out piston rod. So?

4231AB02-49E2-4327-86CA-1D7CC8422B5E.jpeg

After going through this lot

IMG_0795.md.jpg

I can confirm front shocks are 85mm & rear 105mm. :)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheOtherGuy said:

That´s a lot of Falcon-stuff!

Thanks for the confirmation!

:lol:

No worries mate.

You actually did me a favour, as by digging through my stuff I found my original Falcon which I though was missing when I moved house a while back.

Turns out it had another body shell placed over the top which disguised it while searching. :lol:

• Haha 1

Project is going on...

Now that I know the exact sizes  of the shocks....where can I get some replacement ones (maybe with a slightly better quality)?

Driver and wing are ready...but this would only be the driving shell. I will definitely paint a new one (for the shelf)...;-))

17 hours ago, TheOtherGuy said:

Project is going on...

Now that I know the exact sizes  of the shocks....where can I get some replacement ones (maybe with a slightly better quality)?

Your choices are almost limitless.

Would ultimately come down to how much you want to spend.

The yellow CVA's do work well paired with correct piston & oil weight.

Can also fine tune with some cheap springs available on the net.

I can't provide any concrete advice as I haven't spent much time tuning the suspension on mine.

20 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

Your choices are almost limitless.

Would ultimately come down to how much you want to spend.

The yellow CVA's do work well paired with correct piston & oil weight.

Can also fine tune with some cheap springs available on the net.

I can't provide any concrete advice as I haven't spent much time tuning the suspension on mine.

Yeah, thank you! I looked around, but could not really find fitting coil springs. I think I need 80mm x 17mm x 1mm for the rear ones...

I tried oil 400, but it is too hard. Next I will try is 300...

2 hours ago, TheOtherGuy said:

Yeah, thank you! I looked around, but could not really find fitting coil springs. I think I need 80mm x 17mm x 1mm for the rear ones...

I tried oil 400, but it is too hard. Next I will try is 300...

Trial and error is they key.

I'd suggest keeping a log of what you are trying so you have a record.

If you end up using softer oil and it becomes too soft, go back to a heavier oil with larger piston holes.

Hey guys!

Thank you for all the help! Now I´m almost ready...tomorrow would be the day to "fly" the falcon again...

But I definitely need a shell for the shelf, project is going on...^_^

Oh...and I got the Thorp  set, hope it will work.

IMG-7368.jpg

• Like 2

That is shelf queen material! B)

Source another one as a runner :P:lol:

Now it's too nice... take it out and get it all filthy again... before it ends up staying on the shelf. 

Got to run the restored Willy, Lunchbox, a re-re Grasshopper and the CC01 with friends last weekend.  Of course they're all filthy, one broke (Lunchie's steer ball ripped out of the servo saver) and everyone had a great time bashing about in the dirt.  Needless to say... we'll be doing it again next weekend... can't wait :D

On 6/25/2020 at 10:03 PM, TheOtherGuy said:

I think you have almost the same new gear setup as i do. Same Battery, Same ESC :) You are just a bit faster in completely restoring it. Well done! I'll post some of my pictures end of the week.
Did you 3d-print something for the on/off switch to be able to mount it on the original position?
And the chassis Brace? is that ampro?

IMG-7366.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steffiemorris said:

I installed the Upper and Lower Braces as well as the Rear Suspension Arms and the Bulkhead of AMPro. Everything looks fine...

Hey guys! Thanks for all your comments....the project is almost coming to an end...as you can see:

IMG-7382.thumb.jpg.66b9470e078eaeb69f0158e53ab71173.jpgIMG-7383.thumb.jpg.e2e181862aed0436ff8f2b58d0f783d9.jpgIMG-7384.thumb.jpg.4b41ee5b0060f2ffd2529ed4fa60dba6.jpg

But I have a real big problem! After more than 30 years, I made the new "maiden voyage" (could you really say this?)...unfortunately the motor pinion every now and then (definitely more "now" than "then") wouldn´t grab the gear. I don´t know what to do...grrr....

• Like 1