TheOtherGuy

Vintage Tamiya Falcon found in the attic...

22 minutes ago, TheOtherGuy said:

IMG-7399.thumb.jpg.2360a5e1650e38429851cf94699ad336.jpg

Note the different pairs of motor mounting holes (each pair being 180 degrees opposite one another).   I believe these are for different size pinions.

The pinion (aluminum gear on the motor) you have is not meshing correctly with the spur (plastic gear in the tranny).  Remove the 2 motor bolts and rotate the motor to a different pair of motor mounting holes until the you find that the pinion and spur mesh in a manor that the teeth fit deeper into one another.

Do not continue running it in it's current state or it will ruin the spur gear.

• Like 1

edit: mounting holes seem correct for a 18T pinion. Seems your pinion is not 32dp.

The pinion is 18T (counted each of them...^_^). What do you mean with 32dp? Unfortunately the plastic gear is not really fixed (does it need to be?) but a little shaky (I can push the gear some milimeters (one or two))... nasty! Grrrrrrr............

Tamiya pinion for the falcon are metric 0.8 module not do the dp are a close fit however. Looks like somebody drilled extra holes into that gearbox normally it's only 2*2 oops the other ones are for fixing the lid 🙈

The mesh should look like this.

Mesh.md.jpg

Have you fitted the bearings/bushes to the spur gear?

Spur-1.md.jpg

Spur2.md.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you very much! You made my day! I was sooooooo stupid.... just forgot one of the ball bearings....:wacko:

Now it works! The Falcon flies again...

I just need a switch for the third channel to use my headlights...an upgrade...^_^

So long...

• Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 10:10 AM, steffiemorris said:

Yeah, the braces are from AMPro. For the switch I used double-sided tape...

New question arises after "flying" the Falcon: I found the gear box broken (one screw broke out of its fixation). Is there any possibility to get a new/unbroken gear box? Are there identical ones to the ones for the Falcon which I could use?

Thanks in advance guys!

On 8/2/2020 at 11:05 PM, TheOtherGuy said:

New question arises after "flying" the Falcon: I found the gear box broken (one screw broke out of its fixation). Is there any possibility to get a new/unbroken gear box? Are there identical ones to the ones for the Falcon which I could use?

Thanks in advance guys!

C parts tree is unique to the Falcon.

NOS are around but pricey, as are used ones.

Can you post a pic of where it's broken? Might be able to save the original part...?

I suspect it's where the rear cage screws on?

On 8/4/2020 at 1:51 PM, Falcon#5 said:

C parts tree is unique to the Falcon.

NOS are around but pricey, as are used ones.

Can you post a pic of where it's broken? Might be able to save the original part...?

I suspect it's where the rear cage screws on?

Yeah, it´s this one....

Broken Gear Box.jpg

I wouldn't use glue. If it's styrene based, with products like "Plastic Weld" or even acetone, you can weld it back together. After that, I would suggest drilling it back to 2.5mm as the hole might have become a little bit smaller. Then use an M3 metric tap to make a new thread and replace the tapping screw with a metric one. 

I haven't tried this myself, but I'd suggest gluing the broken bit back on.

Then drilling a 3.2mm or 1/8th hole right through.

Popping a suitable length M3 bolt from the inside out and retaining it to one half of the cage with a nyloc nut.

Assemble the gearbox as usual, then fix the other half of the cage after.

I hope that made sense :lol: