Sign in to follow this  
FocusAndrew

Taiyo Jet Hopper Repair

Hello all, new member here.

I have just dug my old Taiyo Jet Hopper out of the attic and dusted it off so i can race with my son.

I have a problem though, i recall that one of the gears in the steering gearbox sheared teeth and broke up and i could never find a suitable replacement.

Does anyone have a source for either a new gearbox or a new set of gears, or even a broken model with the steering working?

I would love to fix this as i enjoyed it massively as a kid and would love to get it back up and running again.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Hi and Welcome Andy

You’re best bet would be to fit new hobby grade parts into it, see this thread started by @KEV THE REV

I have my own Jet Hopper that requires this doing to it in the near future. Good luck and hope to see some results posted up here

• Like 1

Just joined the site to say @mtbkym01 - I'm sorry to debut on such a note, but I tend to disagree with your advice there :(

@FocusAndrew the first thing to know is that Jet Hoppers go for silly money in original or top condition, have you noticed? They are super collected.

And while parts are hard to find, there are many used/broken Jet Hoppers out there that can just be used for parts. If $50 sounds reasonable, you should be able to find a non-working car, to use for the parts you need.

The alternative road of replacing everything with hobby upgrades, will cost far more - and while the car will go well, it won't be a true Jet Hopper in the end. I guess it depends on what you want to do, but grabbing parts from other cars is just the simplest/cheapest option 🤷‍♂️ Good luck.

Simon.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jethopperguy said:

Just joined the site to say @mtbkym01 - I'm sorry to debut on such a note, but I tend to disagree with your advice there :(

@FocusAndrew the first thing to know is that Jet Hoppers go for silly money in original or top condition, have you noticed? They are super collected.

And while parts are hard to find, there are many used/broken Jet Hoppers out there that can just be used for parts. If $50 sounds reasonable, you should be able to find a non-working car, to use for the parts you need.

The alternative road of replacing everything with hobby upgrades, will cost far more - and while the car will go well, it won't be a true Jet Hopper in the end. I guess it depends on what you want to do, but grabbing parts from other cars is just the simplest/cheapest option 🤷‍♂️ Good luck.

Simon.

Well that’s great information, but based on the OP wanting to race it around with his son, doing a conversion as per @KEV THE REV would be far more reliable, hence my advice, if he wants to keep it original and preserve value, then sure, try and source the parts from another and go that way

• Like 1