Ben C

Super Sabre (QD Quick Drive) - Problem with going forward (backwards and steering fine)

Hi - I have an old Super Sabre which has been working really well until today. Now the car won't go forwards, but steering and reverse are still fine. When you pull the throttle to go forwards nothing happens at all. I tried taking the transmitter apart and gave the forward/reverse part (the bit which is like a slider with contacts inside) but this made no difference. I also tried a fresh set of batteries in both the transmitter and controller.

Any ideas? 

Super Sabre.jpg

I wish I could help but I really don't know anything about the RTR QD Tamiyas. I imagine they have a PC board in them. Many who have issues with these old RTRs have been putting in hobby-grade radio gear (servos and receivers). Hopefully someone with some PC board knowledge can help. Maybe adding QD or Quick Drive to the title will alert those with better knowledge than I. Good luck.

I might have a spare circuit board. 

Otherwise I can only suggest an upgrade, I am almost hitting 50mph with the same model. Check my threads for details or I can post a link later.

Hi - Thanks for replying and sorry for the slow response. If you do have a spare circuit board that would be amazing.

Northampton. U.K.

I do have one that came from a thunder dragon. I cut the wires from the battery box and the motor so they would need re-soldering. 

I have no idea if it works though.

You may have a defekt condensator  in the forward circuit, do you have another 27mhz setup to test if either the remote or receiver unit is malfunctioning? 

Thanks for the replies. No, I don’t have any other RC cars. Just an amateur dad playing with an old loft discovery!

I'm now starting to think that this might be a project for someone else. Fixing it sounds quite involved. I’ll keep an eye out for a cheap controller on eBay for the time being though. That might be worth a shot. 

Thanks again for the help. 

Does it not have a mechanical speed controller, or did all the QD cars have an electronic one.

Does it have 2 servos, if so, just move the throttle one by hand to see if it is the mechanical speed controller that is at fault, it may just be that either the speed controller is burnt out, or the servo is faulty.