Manix92

Zahhak DN-01 new build.

Mines just arrived today. The second cheapest item I bought for the build, a M3 0.5mm thread tap costing a whopping £2.64, coming all the way from Folkstone, is holding up progress. Summat can come from Hong Kong in 7 days, but a tap can't make it here, ah well, weekend build.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jontea said:

Mines just arrived today. The second cheapest item I bought for the build, a M3 0.5mm thread tap costing a whopping £2.64, coming all the way from Folkstone, is holding up progress. Summat can come from Hong Kong in 7 days, but a tap can't make it here, ah well, weekend build.

I'm still waiting for two packages from Japan, the first package from Japan was delivered quite quick but these two are taking ages.

Anyway sure you will love it. My 9 year old daughter is even beginning to complain how much better it is than her car 'it steers where you want it to go'.

• Like 1

I'm getting a bit worried that my two orders outstanding from Plaza Japan have ended up at the Black Hole Of Langley Customs.

• Sad 1

On 7/15/2020 at 3:47 PM, Manix92 said:

I'm getting a bit worried that my two orders outstanding from Plaza Japan have ended up at the Black Hole Of Langley Customs.

I’ve had some stuff vanish as has matisse 

3 hours ago, Howards said:

I’ve had some stuff vanish as has matisse 

Yeah wouldn't surprise me. I don't blame Plaza for one second, I'm confident they posted it but they have said you may have to wait up to two months with the state of deliveries at the moment. It's weird I could order something today and it could get here next week from Japan or China or on the other hand it could take forever. There simply is no knowing.

I am having a problem with Plaza as well. Placed 3 orders over 7 weeks ago and no sign of them.

I placed a fourth order 3 weeks after the first three and it arrived in just over a week.

Plaza are telling me no planes are flying. I can't explain how the fourth item got to me... :unsure:

I asked for an investigation to be started as they said they would do this after 3 / 4 weeks but they have ignored my requests. I have been told to wait further, be patient, be understanding and to have faith.

I've ordered other things from different shops in Japan who dispatched them before and after my Plaza orders and they have all got to me using the same postal service. I don't know what is going on but I haven't had problems with Plaza before.

In-between the continued build on the car I do get to use it.

Did notice after using it on a abandoned large car park that gravel had been scoring the inside of the wheel rims against the hub carrier. Both rear wheels and hubs were the same. I suppose it's no surprise the gravel flies everywhere.

Lrt3gwV.jpg

e3rM1Vu.jpg

19 minutes ago, JoshUK82 said:

I am having a problem with Plaza as well. Placed 3 orders over 7 weeks ago and no sign of them.

I placed a fourth order 3 weeks after the first three and it arrived in just over a week.

Plaza are telling me no planes are flying. I can't explain how the fourth item got to me... :unsure:

I asked for an investigation to be started as they said they would do this after 3 / 4 weeks but they have ignored my requests. I have been told to wait further, be patient, be understanding and to have faith.

I've ordered other things from different shops in Japan who dispatched them before and after my Plaza orders and they have all got to me using the same postal service. I don't know what is going on but I haven't had problems with Plaza before.

Just been reading up on it and Plaza are probably correct in what they are saying. There seems to be a lot of delays in Japan with certain countries going in and out of suspended deliveries and huge backlogs. From what I also understand the floods they have just had aren't helping.

Well I could do with doing another order from them but I'm going to wait until at least one of the current crop turns up before placing another order.

If I order anything else the wife will string me up.

I have gone a bit mad on the Hop-Ups of my DN 01 / TRF 201 build!

• Like 1

Here we go deja vu, universal shaft time again and so time to try the upgrade upgrade wide operating angle versions.

Why didn't the other standard operating angle versions work? Who knows but if these don't work the venture of hop-up drive shafts are getting a really expensive pass time.

So these are Tamiya 54119 and for those who notice small details the cups have switched sides compared with the 54016.

f6DOZiI.jpg

'Install these wide operating angle shafts in place of the standard parts to reduce friction loss for smoother operation' Well the normal set (when the wheels were in the air) were more along the lines of shacking the car apart so anything will be an improvement.

eQtARne.jpg

Instructions out, all looks similar to previous version except one thing. 'Remove the urethane bushings used in the diff joints' so OK that is interesting and I whipped them out.

vWlzrd5.jpg

Assembled just like the other set other than the cups have flipped sides. Moly grease added as advised, probably need a clean and reapplying regularly if using in dusty/dirty terrain.

ej8SBKq.jpg

And in they go.

gdCJw03.jpg

This time testing I didn't just have them with no wheels on and the motor running to find out later the issues. Instead had the wheels on, car in the air with motor running and yes I think we have SUCCESS THIS TIME!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoshUK82 said:

That sounds familiar.

This all started as a idea of a car I could take out with my daughter's rising 'pink' fighter, perhaps something like a racing fighter. So far away from that idea now.

1 hour ago, JoshUK82 said:

That’s the problem, i could of bought Almost 2 trf 201 For $175 instead of $110 for the zahhak and had 1/2 or more of the hop ups i added.  Most of the things i added arent needed. I did it out of boredom to work on the car. Only positive is when i was buying these hop ups and spares most were on clearance for 1/2 Off or more Since no one wanted neither car until the last year or so. Rcmart and a shop in the US were blowing parts out. 

1 hour ago, Manix92 said:

Here we go deja vu, universal shaft time again and so time to try the upgrade upgrade wide operating angle versions.

Why didn't the other standard operating angle versions work? Who knows but if these don't work the venture of hop-up drive shafts are getting a really expensive pass time.

So these are Tamiya 54119 and for those who notice small details the cups have switched sides compared with the 54016.

f6DOZiI.jpg

'Install these wide operating angle shafts in place of the standard parts to reduce friction loss for smoother operation' Well the normal set (when the wheels were in the air) were more along the lines of shacking the car apart so anything will be an improvement.

eQtARne.jpg

Instructions out, all looks similar to previous version except one thing. 'Remove the urethane bushings used in the diff joints' so OK that is interesting and I whipped them out.

vWlzrd5.jpg

Assembled just like the other set other than the cups have flipped sides. Moly grease added as advised, probably need a clean and reapplying regularly if using in dusty/dirty terrain.

ej8SBKq.jpg

And in they go.

gdCJw03.jpg

This time testing I didn't just have them with no wheels on and the motor running to find out later the issues. Instead had the wheels on, car in the air with motor running and yes I think we have SUCCESS THIS TIME!

did you ever consider the actual trf 201 universals? I dont know if you can even find them now but they are obviously a direct fit. 
The white whale of hop ups which i couldnt find until a few months ago that i passed on is the exotek chassis extension. Funny i couldnt find it for 4 years and 1 new and 2 used showed up this winter. 

15 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

That’s the problem, i could of bought Almost 2 trf 201 For $175 instead of $110 for the zahhak and had 1/2 or more of the hop ups i added.  Most of the things i added arent needed. I did it out of boredom to work on the car. Only positive is when i was buying these hop ups and spares most were on clearance for 1/2 Off or more Since no one wanted neither car until the last year or so. Rcmart and a shop in the US were blowing parts out. 

The problem also is can't find a trf 201 for sale and it probably won't be restocked again :(

Just now, rwordenjr said:

The problem also is can't find a trf 201 for sale and it probably won't be restocked again :(

Someone has one on ebay for $700 lol

4 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

meant for the price of $175 you were saying lol. Not finding one for that price anymore. 

I had to slightly overpay for mine but water under bridge now :blink:

3 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

I had to slightly overpay for mine but water under bridge now :blink:

Do you want to say how much? There is a shop by me that still has a trf 501x, its been sitting there so long the box is so faded Its basically white. Im tempted to just buy it to build it because it is so nice. I also almost bought the 201xm 2 years ago for $200 which i regret not doin now. 

2 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

Do you want to say how much? There is a shop by me that still has a trf 501x, its been sitting there so long the box is so faded Its basically white. Im tempted to just buy it to build it because it is so nice. I also almost bought the 201xm 2 years ago for $200 which i regret not doin now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

Click on link and you can see what all it came with. 

18 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

How much for the 501?

5 hours ago, Manix92 said:

SUCCESS THIS TIME!

You were using the DB01 shafts before right? How come they didn’t work?

I’ve got a pair of Tamiya 42284 RC TRF Buggy Rear Double Cardan Joint Shafts in the draw to use in my build.

I believe they are for the DB01/TRF503/TRF201, did you try these, do they work? Should I be getting worried?