Manix92

Zahhak DN-01 new build.

14 minutes ago, JoshUK82 said:

Should I be getting worried

If the fit the 201 they will fit the DN01. I have them on mine, no issues. 

4 hours ago, Howards said:

You were using the DB01 shafts before right? How come they didn’t work?

That is the mystery, on the matching part list they were listed as working (Tamiya 54016 op1016 DB01 Assembly Universal Shaft Rear) but with tyres on and the car in the air with no suspension slag they vibrated badly. I think they were catching on the cups = operating angle too wide.

Where as the Tamiya 54119 DB01 WO Assembly Universal Shaft (Rear) which are the wide operating angle later versions don't seem to have this issue.

3 hours ago, JoshUK82 said:

I’ve got a pair of Tamiya 42284 RC TRF Buggy Rear Double Cardan Joint Shafts in the draw to use in my build.

I believe they are for the DB01/TRF503/TRF201, did you try these, do they work? Should I be getting worried?

No I didn't try those. I looked at them but firstly they were quite expensive and secondly looking at the instructions you have to shave material off the hub carrier to make them fit if memory serves me correctly.

I have seen other people have fitted them though so based on that we can hope you will have no issue.

8 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

did you ever consider the actual trf 201 universals? I dont know if you can even find them now but they are obviously a direct fit. 
The white whale of hop ups which i couldnt find until a few months ago that i passed on is the exotek chassis extension. Funny i couldnt find it for 4 years and 1 new and 2 used showed up this winter. 

Well there is the funny thing. I spent hours looking at this and the thing is there is no universal assembly shaft set that says TRF201 or DN-01 on the packet bar the upgrade to the TRF201 which is the Double Cardan.

So you can search all the single part numbers for the assembly from the instructions of the TRF201 - some bits are hard to get and buying all the single bits is expensive and no one has all the bits for sale so you would end up paying loads of postage.

BUT.... then I found a thread saying the Tamiya 54119 DB01 WO Assembly Universal Shaft (Rear) are what is in the TRF201 kit!

And it appears correct because the TRF201 has the cups the same as Tamiya 54119 not flipped the other way.

9 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Someone has one on ebay for $700 lol

Whats that all about then? no way! 

3 hours ago, Manix92 said:

Well there is the funny thing. I spent hours looking at this and the thing is there is no universal assembly shaft set that says TRF201 or DN-01 on the packet bar the upgrade to the TRF201 which is the Double Cardan.

So you can search all the single part numbers for the assembly from the instructions of the TRF201 - some bits are hard to get and buying all the single bits is expensive and no one has all the bits for sale so you would end up paying loads of postage.

BUT.... then I found a thread saying the Tamiya 54119 DB01 WO Assembly Universal Shaft (Rear) are what is in the TRF201 kit!

And it appears correct because the TRF201 has the cups the same as Tamiya 54119 not flipped the other way.

That may be the only one that is meant for all, i purchased mine so long ago i forget if it said just trf 201 or both on it. 

On 7/17/2020 at 1:36 PM, Manix92 said:

No I didn't try those. I looked at them but firstly they were quite expensive and secondly looking at the instructions you have to shave material off the hub carrier to make them fit if memory serves me correctly.

This only applies on the front end if using 501 aluminium castor blocks 👍🏽

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gregdogghurst said:

This only applies on the front end if using 501 aluminium castor blocks 👍🏽

But then I was thinking perhaps you had to do it with the glass filled/carbon filled plastic versions and they just had noted it. At that point I was questioning everything because I had on paper a part which was listed on the matching parts list for DN-01/trf201 and it didn't work.

Anyway what I can confirm after a good run with the car at the weekend the Tamiya 54119 WO Assembly Universal Shaft (rear) work fine!

Got bored so went and ordered some new goodies (from China & UK as Japan seems to be having issues delivering at the second).

1) Pro-line Blockade rear 1/10 buggy tyres - I think these will deal better as a all rounder than the dual block K on looser ground.

2) Dual Block K front tyres - Want to try a few alternatives on the front, when some hole shot front 2WD come back in stock will probably get those to try as well.

3) Spare set of Dish Wheels front and rear.

4) Aluminium rear suspension mount front std 3 degree - just missing the rear then.

5) Spare 79T spur gear - I'm running the 77T at the moment. OK that gives me the exact 9.1 gear ration but there is another reason THE PREVIOUS DRIVE SHAFT ISSUE RESULTED IN DAMAGING THE 79T KIT SPUR GEAR!

6) Grey reinforced adjuster - I think these are strong than the black ones in the kit? Not 100% sure. Anyway have the new turnbuckles coming and will use it on them.

1 minute ago, Manix92 said:

Got bored so went and ordered some new goodies (from China & UK as Japan seems to be having issues delivering at the second).

1) Pro-line Blockade rear 1/10 buggy tyres - I think these will deal better as a all rounder than the dual block K on looser ground.

2) Dual Block K front tyres - Want to try a few alternatives on the front, when some hole shot front 2WD come back in stock will probably get those to try as well.

4) Aluminium rear suspension mount front std 3 degree - just missing the rear then.

5) Spare 79T spur gear - I'm running the 77T at the moment. OK that gives me the exact 9.1 gear ration but there is another reason THE PREVIOUS DRIVE SHAFT ISSUE RESULTED IN DAMAGING THE 79T KIT SPUR GEAR!

6) Grey reinforced adjuster - I think these are strong than the black ones in the kit? Not 100% sure. Anyway have the new turnbuckles coming and will use it on them.

They grey reinforced adjuster are much better never had one pop off

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Manix92 said:

Blockade and hole shots are the best for real offroad, esp loose packed dusty dirt. 

• Thanks 1

The list of items used on the build (second post on thread) was getting a bit of a mess. So I have totally overhauled it.

On 5/31/2020 at 3:02 PM, Manix92 said:

List of items used in the build -

Tamiya parts -

58477 Zahhak car kit DN-01

42164 TRF Sticker C Sheet

53930 Super Stock BZ Motor 

54217 TRF201 48 pitch pinion (22T/23T)

54218 TRF201 48 pitch pinion (24/25T)

54219 48 pitch spur gear (77T)

54276 Aluminium motor plate

53585  (op585) 3mm Shim Set

54119 WO Assembly Universal Shaft (Rear)

54016 (op1016) DB01 Assembly Universal Shaft (Rear) - Problems in operation so removed from car and changed to WO version 54119

54260 (op1260) DN-01 Slipper Clutch - waiting for delivery

53640 (op640) 5mm Aluminium Ball Nut (Blue) - waiting for delivery

54028 (OP1028) TRF Buggy Aeration Oil Filled Damper Setwaiting for delivery

53160 (OP160) 4mm Anodized Aluminium Flange Lock Nut (Red) - waiting for delivery

53943 (OP943) 3x46mm Hard Turnbuckle Shaft - waiting for delivery

54242 TRF201 Aluminium rear suspension mount front 3 degree - waiting for delivery

54257 5mm Reinforced adjuster grey - waiting for delivery

54185 Dual Block tyre K front - waiting for delivery

51321 Dish wheels rear white - waiting for delivery

51414 Dish wheels front white - waiting for delivery

51415 48 pitch spur gear 79T - waiting for delivery

Non Tamiya parts -

Pro-line Blockade 2.2" M3 1/10 Buggy tyre rear - waiting for delivery

Non Tamiya electrical/electronic parts/accessories -

Mtroniks Tio Storm 19T ESC

Ripmax Quartz QZ501 Servo digital

Spectrum STX3 3CH 2.4 GHz FHSS Radio System

Voltz 4600 mAh 7.2v NiMH

GT Power C6D 50W AC/DC 6A charger

Paint -

Tamiya PS-16 Metallic Blue paint

Tamiya PS-31 Smoke paint

Consumables -

Tamiya Ball diff grease 53042

Tamiya Ag thread lock tub

Tamiya Cera Grease HG 87099 - waiting for delivery

Loctite Universal glue 2x3g

Woodland scenics Moly Grease With Molybdenum

Other -

Aluminium sheet 1mm x 100 x 100 (Skid plate for front bumper)

• Like 1

When you get these in a delivery it is always a happy day and means one thing.

I0SOS77.jpg

You have had a delivery from Plaza Japan! No even better than that it was a double delivery hence two erasers.

1giCxkH.jpg

Should keep me busy for a while :D

• Like 4

Had a whole week of work last week and quite a busy weekend so updating the thread had to take a backfoot.

Anyway back to updating the build. So first off I realised the 54257 5mm Reinforced adjuster grey I had ordered (not yet arrived) come in packs of 8 BUT of course there are 12 on the car. So at this point I wasn't going to order another pack and elected to use standard ones from the kit on the rear with the new hard turnbuckles.

This leaves me in a position that I can now fit one set of the new turnbuckles to the rear. The item being fitted is Tamiya 53943 = hard turnbuckle shaft 3x46mm. Not a whole lot of info given but you could assume being called 'Hard' and being black that they are a better grade of steel - stronger. Also the other benefits are the square block in the middle is bigger (easier to get the spanner on and adjust) and of course the blue bling!

pqloh74.jpg

The info on the back is vague and refers to only the DF-03 chassis.

pha4ArT.jpg

I measured the existing turnbuckles and matched the adjustment distance to save time setting-up. Though doing this may well be a total waste of time with new shocks going on, I will probably need to set all the chambers again when that is finished.

M3 tap was run down the end connectors this time, wish I had been doing this before for turnbuckles.

Ic9OPDM.jpg

Also have some aluminium ball nuts in blue = Tamiya 53640. These are no more than bling really and probably won't last as long as the fluorine coated TRF ones that come in the kit.

alCtNGz.jpg

'Early replacement keeps high performance' yes this is a very early replacement for the existing ball nuts :D

zYJbkDH.jpg

All those items on and just enough room for the chunkier turnbuckles. This car will be no shelf queen as can be seen by the scratches already on the bodywork.

O4WLpIq.jpg

Final bit of bling for the day. Some red flange nuts for the rear wheels Tamiya 53160

BDYyDL6.jpg

On the car they go to finish off that days build mods.

zEpjLIU.jpg

So another delivery came. New tyres to try out - rear Blockade's. I will have to wait until the extra set of rear dish wheels are delivered though.

xzugix0.jpg

Hopefully this tread with give some better grip on looser surfaces.

GGcWXpr.jpg

Next update will be the TRF aeration shocks and boy have I had some issues with them, fixed now thankfully. Leave that for another days update.

• Like 4

Some work you’ve put into this, been a good build gave me a few pointers too 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Seanster43 said:

Some work you’ve put into this, been a good build gave me a few pointers too 👍🏻

Glad it has been of some help.

Right the aeration buggy damper set, the memories of the pain have pretty much gone now. It all started so well and then went downhill...

So this is the package Tamiya 54028. Note the cardboard inner that comes in the story later.

5gdH0t8.jpg

Rear of the package. No mention of DN-01 or the TRF-201 it came standard on. Nothing new there.

g4jcBth.jpg

Items unpacked. There is something missing, not that I was aware of it yet.

fyPGn1c.jpg

Along with the instructions in the pack I also had a print of the TRF-201. The shims they stated on the TRF 201 were slightly different from memory. I also had the DN-01 instructions which mention the Aeration damper hop-up as a upgrade.

7twlPSb.jpg

I decided to do all four dampers simultaneously. You have to take the adjusters off and add some O rings in various places then you can get the adjusters back on. 

ZtBZdbo.jpg

You have to put a shim in between the piston and the c clips on the shafts, easy to miss. Also nylon guides get pushed into the main barrel and the cap and there is a crazy small detail you have to get the right way round.

FhPKlEI.jpg

So this is the point it all went wrong. Next up was assemble all the O rings, shims and get the piston shaft into the barrel. I couldn't find the shims anywhere in any of the bags - I needed 8. After about an hour of trying to find where I had dropped them I start looking through spare parts but that was no good either as none matched what was needed another hour passed....... At this point I thought it was the end.

Sitting there I just picked the box up pretty demoralised. Yes then after all that time I thought hold on there is that inner cardboard in the box. Pulling it out revealed a pack of shims stuck to it with sellotape sandwiched between the outer and inner so you couldn't see it.:rolleyes:

Felt pretty stupid, should have pulled it out ages ago.

Anyway could get the next step done now and fit the shafts.

Qrqkns5.jpg

End connectors on. Tapped M3 to make life easy.

3rdNZvY.jpg

Got them filled up

FX9VSph.jpg

Springs on

pXvqf3n.jpg

Deciding which mounting system - so it will be the DB-01which matches the TRF-201 instructions.

7PajxDP.jpg

The DN-01 manual calls for you to use certain items in the kit.

LUW0SUV.jpg

Now the DN-01 manual is telling you to use the thin M3 nuts in the kit, also there are M3 nuts in the Buggy Damper kit. The trouble with this is you end up with a load of thread showing!! Looks horrible.

My solution, which was far from perfect but looked better, was to use a 5mm ball nut. Don't do this!!!

ZlGwtcB.jpg

So it was all assembled on the car. BIG PROBLEMS

They sounded horrible and the pistons were grinding against the barrel. At this point I thought it was something I had done in putting them together and was not looking forward to dismantling. I had had enough so just left it for the day to sleep on it.

Following day I came back to it and thought I would try a few things to figure out what was going on. WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS IS THOSE BALL NUTS!

If you loosen them so there was play the grinding went away, the way they clamped was stopping the top of the damper rotating when compressed so forcing the piston to rub against the barrel. Which then meant I had to revert to the silly slim M3 nuts the DN-01 manual told me to use and leave a load of thread showing :(

So here is the point of feeling pretty stupid again, the answer was always in front of me. The TRF-201 manual calls for a part X2 and.............. it is on the parts try in the Aeration Damper Kit :o. Forget the DN-01 manual use this part it is telling you to use in the TRF-201 manual.

The X2 part works perfect and looks right.

DIL4D4m.jpg

Had a fiddle with the set-up after fixing the problem. The TRF-201 manual states a 23mm ground clearance for initial set-up. I have gone for more like 25mm and see how I get on.

M3qGs4Q.jpg

Initial thoughts on multi-surface is probably a fair bit of improvement on cornering (washes out less) and better transition from one surface to another (more settled and grips better).

• Like 2

Rest of my items that I had been waiting for were delivered today. So these with the other items I had delivered previously gives me plenty to do.

GAngkR4.jpg

• Like 1

In between fixing up the TA03 and upgrading the rising fighter a bit I managed to get back onto this and start getting some of the goodies on it.

So first up on the last delivery I received the 5mm reinforced adjusters item number 54257. I'm still sceptical whether they really are any different to the black versions in the kit. Either way it allows me to put all the new hard turnbuckles on the front.

mymyePw.jpg

Well it says (bit out of focus sorry) 'Made from a special low-friction nylon material'. Maybe they are better than the kit items.

6gVr4ge.jpg

Anyhow it means I'm going to get these guys on now, so there will be a full set of 53943 turnbuckles front and back. Apart from looking nice they are so much easier to adjust.

h8oQSYJ.jpg

Oh but lets not forget adding the rest of the aluminium blue ball connectors!

TDwsdMO.jpg

So as previous with the turnbuckles I measured the ones I was replacing and set the new ones to the same..... and on they went.

Qznmvyp.jpg#

Next up, to finish the front, was add a set of front K blocks 54185 on some new rims. Strictly speaking these were designed for 4wd but Tamiya put them on the TRF201 and it's relatives only leaving out the DN-01. I will later be getting some front Hole Shots and fingers crossed that will cover me for most surfaces I will be using.

TOu3DO2.jpg

3CRITh3.jpg

On they go.

Iko5Kpp.jpg

SDDaDqI.jpg

Wow I got there, that is the front totally finished! No more upgrades on the front...................don't quote me on that

Nest updates will be some goodies being installed on the rear.

• Like 4

How is the Zanjan holding up?    One popped up for sale in my area.  Other car I was considering is 2022 Astute.  Which would you recommend?

On 7/18/2022 at 1:36 AM, Frankster said:

How is the Zanjan holding up?    One popped up for sale in my area.  Other car I was considering is 2022 Astute.  Which would you recommend?

OK, actually it really needs to go for a run.

No major issues with it, you can get away without certain mods but stuff like the slipper clutch I think are essential. The ball diff held up probably because of the slipper clutch.

Not been paying attention to the new releases, I assume the chassis on the Zahhak is still the last true competition level Tamiya off road 2WD chassis unless something has changed in the last year.

Getting spare parts may be problem, and probably so for the hop-ups too.

11 hours ago, Manix92 said:

Not been paying attention to the new releases, I assume the chassis on the Zahhak is still the last true competition level Tamiya off road 2WD chassis unless something has changed in the last year.

Getting spare parts may be problem, and probably so for the hop-ups too.

The Zahhak was the last release with racing pedigree, though would need hopups for competitive events (that are rare / impossible to source)

The TD2 could prove capable on modern tracks but I think it might take a lot of work from where it is now - and I don't think anyones put a serious attempt into it yet. 

Actually I have the last round of updates to add to the build, pictures are ready so I should get round to it.

I would hate to go out and try and get the hop-ups I got for this now, knowing Tamiya they are even harder than ever to get.

Lets be clear, a TRF 201 or a hop-up'd Zahhak (basically a TRF 201) are miles off being competition standard now - yes once they were but not now. There is nothing you can hop-up to change that.

Looking at the 2022 Astute nothing is different there, it is fundamentally not suitable for modern competition no matter what you do.

On 8/13/2020 at 5:26 PM, Manix92 said:

In between fixing up the TA03 and upgrading the rising fighter a bit I managed to get back onto this and start getting some of the goodies on it.

So first up on the last delivery I received the 5mm reinforced adjusters item number 54257. I'm still sceptical whether they really are any different to the black versions in the kit. Either way it allows me to put all the new hard turnbuckles on the front.

mymyePw.jpg

Well it says (bit out of focus sorry) 'Made from a special low-friction nylon material'. Maybe they are better than the kit items.

6gVr4ge.jpg

Anyhow it means I'm going to get these guys on now, so there will be a full set of 53943 turnbuckles front and back. Apart from looking nice they are so much easier to adjust.

h8oQSYJ.jpg

Oh but lets not forget adding the rest of the aluminium blue ball connectors!

TDwsdMO.jpg

So as previous with the turnbuckles I measured the ones I was replacing and set the new ones to the same..... and on they went.

Qznmvyp.jpg#

Next up, to finish the front, was add a set of front K blocks 54185 on some new rims. Strictly speaking these were designed for 4wd but Tamiya put them on the TRF201 and it's relatives only leaving out the DN-01. I will later be getting some front Hole Shots and fingers crossed that will cover me for most surfaces I will be using.

TOu3DO2.jpg

3CRITh3.jpg

On they go.

Iko5Kpp.jpg

SDDaDqI.jpg

Wow I got there, that is the front totally finished! No more upgrades on the front...................don't quote me on that

Nest updates will be some goodies being installed on the rear.

Hey not sure if it matters but the aluminum ball nuts in blue = Tamiya 53640 are not as tight fitting as the brass ball nuts.  I just discovered this last week trying to troubleshoot steering on a tt02b. I decided to get a bunch of these blue ball nuts while building the buggy.  once I got my turnbuckle set I realized how tight fitting they were to the brass parts.  I then replaced all the blue with brass and went from bad steering slop to ZERO steering slop.  I was in disbelief because its supposed to be the same as the brass part but in blue ordered directly from tamiya.  So if you have any slop i would look into that.  It doesn't seem to affect dampers using blue ball nuts though.