Sign in to follow this  
Anewhope

Lockdown nostalgia

Hi all this is my first post during the lockdown here in the Uk I ve rediscovered tamiya.  Being born in ‘76 I was the perfect age for the 80’s r/c boom and still remember vividly seeing grasshopper and hornet in the shops and being in awe.  I remember the first built tamiya I saw was a Subaru brat painted blue that one of my fellow scouts had and my neighbours cousin playing with his hornet in my street. I had a tamiya catalogue which I used to spend hours just looking at. I wasn’t lucky enough to get a r/c in the mid 80’s due to family divorce but I manage to get one of the first bullheads when they came out pretty sure that was ‘90. 

During start of lockdown I raised some money via selling some old unwanted items on eBay and I picked up a lunchbox reissue built it  and really enjoyed it and I ve got the bug! I ve now built a sand scorcher too and am in the process of painting the shell in coral blue and white. 

• Like 3

Since you've got the bug, MF01X rally bug might work for you too!  :P 

This bug is 4x4.  

6EtvGY9.jpg

Or a Blue Brat (yes, Tamiya sells a blue version now).  

bRpsA8I.jpg

I totally understand the nostalgia.  I was looking at old catalogs, thanks to @MadInventor.  I too, spent hours looking at the catalogs in the 80s.  Pages like this made me want to buy stuff that I don't need.  

I hated the look of Bigwig, but I have one now.  I did not like the look of the Falcon. But it looks better than Bigwig.  If they re-issue it (after strengthening the front of the chassis), I'd buy it.  

Onr23ck.jpg

• Like 1

Wow those pictures sure do take me back!  I m liking the blue edition brat that will have to go on the ever growing list! 

What happens when you "get the bug"? My bug re-ignited recently. I was in the US Air Force in the 80's when I had to have the Wild Willy, seeing one on a stand in a hobby shop in Germany. I also bought a Super Champ at that time. Sold the SC sometime in the 90s, but my re-ignited bug caused me to get a sand scorcher re-re and do a Wild Willy tribute with it. The Wild Willy is the same one I built in early 80s (SWB).  Still own it today, even though it has undergone 3 restorations over the decades. 

02220202b.jpg

• Like 3

‘Getting the bug’ is Uk way of saying your kinda getting hooked on something I d say is best way of describing it. 

10 minutes ago, Tudorp said:

What happens when you "get the bug"? My bug re-ignited recently. I was in the US Air Force in the 80's when I had to have the Wild Willy, seeing one on a stand in a hobby shop in Germany. I also bought a Super Champ at that time. Sold the SC sometime in the 90s, but my re-ignited but caused me to get a sand scorcher re-re and do a Wild Willy tribute with it. The Wild Willy is the same one I built in early 80s (SWB).  Still own it today, even though it has undergone 3 restorations over the decades. 

02220202b.jpg

Wild willy looks great am I right in saying the re release isn’t the same at all?

"Wild willy looks great am I right in saying the re release isn’t the same at all?"

If you are talking about the re-re Wild Willy (Wild Willy 2), No, they are completely different chassis. The body is similar but also has some changes, not the same casting. Some of the body parts will interchange, but there are subtle differences. But, yeah, the Wild Willy 2 is a completely different design. 

On 5/27/2020 at 9:56 PM, A-Baum said:

Lockdown nostalgia has cost me around $1,000 USD

Wow what have your brought?

1 hour ago, Anewhope said:

Wow what have your brought?

Rere Blackfoot, tt-02 subaru 99 wrc, manta ray, top force and a Novafox. Plus a radio, Receivers, painting supplies, and a bunch of hop ups like CVAs, drive shafts, high speed gears, Motors and some replacement parts for my sons dt-03.  Bearing kits etc etc. Actually it might be more than $1,000 USD. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Rere Blackfoot, tt-02 subaru 99 wrc, manta ray, top force and a Novafox. Plus a radio, Receivers, painting supplies, and a bunch of hop ups like CVAs, drive shafts, high speed gears, Motors and some replacement parts for my sons dt-03.  Bearing kits etc etc. Actually it might be more than $1,000 USD. 

That lot will keep your busy. I might have had a hornet arrive today....

50 minutes ago, Anewhope said:

That lot will keep your busy. I might have had a hornet arrive today....

Yeah it has and it's been spaced out nicely which makes sure you always have something to do, something to wrench on.  The Novafox and Top Force aren't here yet.  Top Force is sitting in New Jersey waiting to get through customs and the Novafox, well I can't really track it.  It's either in Frankfurt, Germany (Bought from tamico) or left Frankfurst and is sitting in customs somewhere.  DHL tracking is really goofy, especially with the German DHL post paket or whatever it was.  DHL US can't help track it.  So when they come they come I guess.  Right now finishing up the body of the Manta Ray painting it purple for my daughter.

I too caught the nostalgia bug at the beginning of the lockdown. I started off by restoring my kids old hornet that had sat in the garage for around 8 years in quite a sorry state. Once that was all sorted I lost my marbles and have since purchased a grasshopper, monster beetle, neo scorcher and finally a boomerang. I was lucky enough in the late 80's early 90's to have a few myself. Those being a Porsche 959, boomerang, clod buster and later on a stadium blitzer. Never liked the clod buster to be honest.

4 hours ago, Andra said:

I too caught the nostalgia bug at the beginning of the lockdown. I started off by restoring my kids old hornet that had sat in the garage for around 8 years in quite a sorry state. Once that was all sorted I lost my marbles and have since purchased a grasshopper, monster beetle, neo scorcher and finally a boomerang. I was lucky enough in the late 80's early 90's to have a few myself. Those being a Porsche 959, boomerang, clod buster and later on a stadium blitzer. Never liked the clod buster to be honest.

It’s great I m really enjoying it.  I started a hornet build today. Sounds like you had a nice collection back in the day.  What didn’t you like about the clod buster? 

2 hours ago, Anewhope said:

It’s great I m really enjoying it.  I started a hornet build today. Sounds like you had a nice collection back in the day.  What didn’t you like about the clod buster? 

Bottom line was that I had the choice between the clod buster or an avante and I chose the clod as a couple of my friends had seen one and urged me to get one. Wish I'd opted for the avante. The clod buster was all over the place and if memory serves I'm sure I replaced the chassis 3 times as it kept breaking on the underside. Easily the worst rc I had.