I’m just wondering if anyone has delved into using silicone earbuds as resistance in the rear differential of these kits?

I’m currently packing the rear diff with AW grease on metal to metal contact and being quite generous and then have packed the remaining space with silicone earbuds, squashed it all up and it’s giving a nice amount of resistance, can only turn with screwdrivers... I’m going to keep turning to get some gumpf out.

Haven't tried earbuds, but the silicon diff putty that Tamiya offers (small strip of very stick black stuff) is astonishingly strong and provides a lot of resistance. What I like about it is that it tightly binds just to the small spider gears, so the diff is mostly empty, except for the putty clinging to the gears in the center. Very simple and very clean. Takes some effort to remove, but probably on par with other solutions.

Yep, seen it and really want to give it a try. It’s just the amount of time it takes for delivery at the moment.

Are you using it in a gf01or wr02? I'd like to try some in my wr02cb to stiffen the diff up a little.

I’m donating the parts from a WR-02 and making up another GF-01, didn’t want to lock up the diff completely as I doesn’t sit right with me. When opening up my previous efforts on the WR-02 diff I just added AW grease, it wasn’t enough I feel. AW grease and packed silicone earbud is giving it a nice smooth stiff feel.

32 minutes ago, •Axle said:

I’m donating the parts from a WR-02 and making up another GF-01, didn’t want to lock up the diff completely as I doesn’t sit right with me. When opening up my previous efforts on the WR-02 diff I just added AW grease, it wasn’t enough I feel. AW grease and packed silicone earbud is giving it a nice smooth stiff feel.

Aah i see. Are you doing that to front and rear or just rear?

AW plus silicone earbud for the rear, and might try nickel based anti-seize / AW grease mix on the front. Tamiya are using a tackifier in the AW grease and I think that’s mostly to add resistance not to stick onto components because it’s a sealed unit once it’s screwed up.

Im looking for the rear wheels to move the same direction when lifted off the ground and the front wheels to be a little stiffer than before.

Just to let you know, I didn’t feel resistance until I packed enough silicone to push AW grease out of the way, I’m turning it round now which I need to carry on doing until it stops coming out of the sides. Really need a dogbone attached to a drill.

Just a quick update, with the wheels on there’s enough resistance in the rear diff to move both wheels in the same direction, I’m able to hold a wheel and the other wheel is able to move independently. Very smooth action also, so currently feel it’s a success.

It can get very messy though, AW grease and silicone earbuds do not mix, when silicone gets grease on it it does not adhere to other silicone pieces like it once did, so try and be clean as possible with the AW, the metal part with the three gears AW those, where that part sits in the plastic gear, AW those bits and the washers to gear parts.

Order I’ve done it in is;

Washer, gear, coin of silicone, place three gears in, three marbles of silicone between the gears, another coin of silicone, gear and washer.

Hope this helps anyone, might take a few tries to get it working and do not know how long it will last, keep you updated.