burakol

Soldering severed 2.4ghz antenna wire

Is soldering a severed 2.4ghz antenna wire transmitter be  a viable fix? I discovered that on my Radiolink transmitter, the part where the antenna folds had a severed wire. I tried to solder the two ends but I'm having range issues. I'm thinking of redoing and check that I may have soldered the shielding to the actual signal wire but I wanted to ask the experts here...thanks!

Not an expert, but even replacing the wire should be fine. It's conductive material sending radio wave, nothing special. But I would try to match the original length down to the last millimeter. 

1 hour ago, burakol said:

Is soldering a severed 2.4ghz antenna wire transmitter be  a viable fix? I discovered that on my Radiolink transmitter, the part where the antenna folds had a severed wire. I tried to solder the two ends but I'm having range issues. I'm thinking of redoing and check that I may have soldered the shielding to the actual signal wire but I wanted to ask the experts here...thanks!

What @Juggular said.  In theory you can fix by soldering, but a replacement antenna is a few dollars from somewhere like Banggood.  Open the case and they have a plug on them, just unplug and plug in the new one.  I think the plugs are even universal.

I've had mixed results, one where the antenna was ripped off (wrapped around a driveshaft) it replaced fine and works perfectly.  Another I don't know what happened but a guy gave it to me and said if you fix it keep it, and that didn't work.  Not sure what happened to take that antenna off though.

• Like 1

I re-soldered it... upon close inspection, it was the metal sheilding that I soldered the first time... I did not strip the insulation all the way through the actual signal wire... I redid it and use a thin copper wire to bridge the two ends, then wrapped it with heat shrink... I tested it and seems to be better than my first fix... I will try to test it again tomorrow with a different receiver and car... 

• Like 1

Being that it is coaxial wire it would be very difficult to properly repair. I would suggest getting a new wire. Attempting to repair the damaged wire sounds frustrating at best. Shorting the inner wire to the shield would probably be bad for the transmitter.

• Like 2

Hi, if it's a coaxial aerial with an exposed length of the inner signal wire at the end then it's the length of the exposed signal wire that's important.

Just strip the outer screen to give an exposed length of the signal wire between 28.8 to 32mm.

I've done so with succes on a damaged aerial on a Spektrum DSMR type receiver.

34 minutes ago, IoWBasher said:

Hi, if it's a coaxial aerial with an exposed length of the inner signal wire at the end then it's the length of the exposed signal wire that's important.

Just strip the outer screen to give an exposed length of the signal wire between 28.8 to 32mm.

I've done so with succes on a damaged aerial on a Spektrum DSMR type receiver.

The exposed end is still the same length. I just resoldered the two ends where it was severed off... so the exposed end is still the same

• Like 1