Hibernaculum

"Toys" deserve a little credit sometimes.

I got my first r/c in 1982 (by that I mean remote control not radio, as it had a wire) and have had literally dozens of cheap r/c's over the years. I love them to bits - literally, most ended up wrecked unfortunately [:I] The only Radio Shack car I remember having was a Porsche 935. I remember it was the first car I had with proportional controls. I soon moved onto Tamiya with my Falcon.

Only a few years ago I got some non-Tamiya stuff. I bought a couple of Nikko trucks. Can't remember what they are. One has a 4.8v NiCd pack in it and the other has 8 AA batteries. The latter actually is almost identical to a Lunchbox shell but has other spoliers and stuff stuck on. Come to think of it, that last one isn't a Nikko. It came from Maplin. They both got used a lot and I used to race the Nikko with Claire's buggy she got off her dad. I seem to remember she could paste me in a straight line, but mine had suspension and would whip her over the rough stuff.

I also got a couple of Nikko iRacers a couple of years back - these are great. I added to these earlier this week with the new iCruiser - a tiny SUV with a trailer towing an r/c boat all controllable from the same handset. Hehe.

Umm, lemme think. Oh yes, I have an r/c Mini in my apartment as well which is great for burning round inside...!

The Oxford English Dictionary explanation for the word "toy":-

A plaything, especially for a child. * A model or miniature replica of a thing. * A thing, a gadget or instrument regarded as providing amusement.

My point? Well, just about anything can be classified as 'toy', depending on the manner in which it is used. For those who buy the latest and greatest piece of R/C car technology, only to merely use it to blast about in the back yard or the local park, then that car will only ever be a toy. Absolutely nothing wrong with that of course since the emphasis of that car's usage will be on having fun. However if the car is used to it's maximum capabilities then the emphasis moves towards something more serious, ie sport.

For me this is the way to define the class of your R/C involvement.. use your car for innocent pleasure and it's a toy...use it for sport and it becomes a piece of equipment.

The greatest difference between Tamiya class R/C's and the likes of Nikko etc is that Tamiyas have always been used for both of these purposes but the Nikko classes have not. Indeed in the 80's it simply wasn't possible to have several of the same kind of Nikko class car running at the same time because of frequency issues. I dont know whether this is the case now though.

As far as snobbery within the hobby goes, well snobbery is a part and parcel of everyday life in every walk of life, and is related to man's competitive spirit etc, but most of the time snobbery involves a great deal of ignorance, which is why in the case of the R/C community you will find those pouring scorn on anything that is less than state of the art.

I had a couple of R/C "toys" when I was about 10 years old and I'd dearly love to get my hands on them now cos I loved them. One was a Peterbilt truck with a trailer that stripped down from a box container down to a petrol tanker and a flat bed. On the radio control there was a steering wheel and a forward/reverse flick switch on it with the logo "Likto" on it. The other was an 'A Team' style creamy coloured van, but for the life of me I cant remember who made it. It wasn't Nikko or Tyco but the name sounded something like that.

If anyone has these two cars I'd love to see some photos of them so that I can rekindle some fond memories.

What is it with the Metro then Alistair...? I had a couple when I first started driving and they had few redeeming features. The second one did go like stink though and I used to blow away XR2i fiestas and 1.6GTi Peugeots - much to the disgust of the owners...! Oh the shame of being pasted by a Metro...! [8D]

My mum had a brand new 'Y' reg MG1300 which I though was ace. It sounded meaty, had the chunky steering sheel and handbrake, big seats and red belts etc.

My first car was a Metro - a L-reg 1.1S. Only 4 months old when I got it and it was quite smart but started to rust within a year...! [:0] Had loads of warranty work done on it. After that I drove a GTi MPi whichwent like the proverbial off a shovel. This was the one which I destroyed Fords and Peugeots with. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by Live Steam Mad

I am probably the biggest fan in the world of the 1:1 all-but-otherwise-slated mini-METRO, it's my favourite car of all.

id="quote">id="quote">

Hi, just want to add that QD's are Toy Cars and that The Nikko Bison Framebuggy 10 are absolutly comperabel to a Hornet ore Grashopper:-)

quote:Originally posted by Wireless

What is it with the Metro then Alistair...?

id="quote">id="quote">

It's just the shape of the car that does it for me!! Also it is one of the first cars ever (I think) to have been designed in the computer age i.e. mostly from CAD / CAM. It's British also. The pictures that I have of it in the sales brochures and books are just lovely. I would love to find a 3-D model of it and machine my own 1/10th scale model of it!! Corgi's R/C model of it was and is just beautiful.

The R/C model of Radio Shack's (Tandy's) Audi Quattro was also astoundingly beautiful, and better than Tamiya's first Quattro IMHO!! I think that RS's / Tandy's Quattro had a hard ABS bodyshell (God I love hard shells with realistic detail, much better than flimsy vague lexan IMHO) and digital proportional controls. Never had one. My friend Andrew had one. Would love to find a NIB of one of them.

Cheers,

Ali.G.

G'day,

A mix of replies...

quote:Originally posted by Drewboyaus

Maybe as society has become more disposable, quality of product has become less of a consideration because hey, you just chuck it out and

buy another $20 'Hua Pang' car.....

id="quote">id="quote">

Couldn't agree more with all that, Drewboyaus.

quote:

By the same token my first RC was a Tandy (Radio Shack) Wild Willy knock-off, and apart from a small difference in performance, I actually think had more scale realism than the Tamiya model...I loved that jeep....mater of fact, I think I might go and have a look in the shed!!

LOL.

id="quote">id="quote">

Any idea what your Jeep is called? My old Jeep Renegade is pretty realistic too, but not really a knock-off of the Wild Willy.

Oh man, this is one EXCELLENT topic, and a healthy diversion from Tamiya modelling (which otherwise consumes my life!).

Yes I dearly loved some of these R/C "toys". My first ever R/C car was the Austin mini-METRO from Corgi (see my showroom). The realism of that car (considering it was a 'cheap' toy) was just incredible to me when I was 8 years old. It still really amazes me when I look at it every morning when I wake up (it's at the end of my bed on the floor). The front end, top and rear end are just incredible. Pity about the

sides (wheel arches) and the rear wheel drive (should be front) and non-proportional controls.

id="quote">id="quote">

Live Steam Mad, I think we may actually be cousins [:)].

Not really, but if we'd lived in the same neighbourhood as kids, I reckon there'd have been a few friendly races with our respective toys now and then [:P] What a cool little retro Mini Metro that was.

I actually never knew Corgi had even made an RC car. But during the 80s, it seems like nearly every toy company gave it a go.

Incidentally, I have a Radio Controlled Motorbike made by Matchbox - unfortunately it's partly broken and it has no controller - I picked it up second hand from somewhere. It came with a plastic stand for mounting it on the shelf, and the bike is perhaps nearly 30cm long.

It's all a bit of a mystery thus far as I can find zero information about it anywhere on the net or in model car stores. A lost part of Matchbox's history?

quote:

I then got that 4x4 yellow R/C monster truck from Tandy (RadioShack) that you mentioned, and enjoyed that very much over many years. My

friend Andrew Clitheroe (lead programmer, Worms 3D, I think now, very clever guy) had the Audi Quattro by Tandy (Radio Shack) that you also

mentioned and that was just unreal, so realistic, I was so jealous!

It was fast too.

id="quote">id="quote">

I had the 4x4 Off Roader from Radio Shack, but the blue one (hence, races would have been possible). I still have mine, but I drove it through some snow one year, and it stopped working a little while after that. I intend to restore it by combining the best bits with another one the same (but one that works) that I recently got on ebay.

quote:

These "toys" were never toys in my mind when I was a little boy, only realistic scale models. I could appreciate them that much even when I

was 8 years old.

I think that what is missing these days from the VAST majority of R/C surface models is **** R E A L I S M ****.

id="quote">id="quote">

Ditto. [^]

quote:

I could never afford the Tamiya R/C cars when I was a boy, in fact I could barely afford the Tamiya catalogue (poor family). I only had the

yellow Tandy 4 x 4 because it was 'only' 39.95. I really wanted the Tandy Audi Quattro but it was 69.95 I think and way too much money back then in about 1986 when I got it!

id="quote">id="quote">

Ditto. [^]

I recently figured out a way to translate money values from any year, to 2003 values - based on exchange rates and inflation and the "buying power" of money then vs now.

I had to use 2 websites to achieve the correct figure, but I think the results are fairly accurate.

Back in 1987 Tandy/Radio Shack released the Golden Arrow, and it retailed in Australia for $329 - it was their dearest car (ever).

When I converted this figure to the equivalent value in 2003, it came to AU$663. In this example, it turned out to be almost exactly double the figure. It's a sobering reminder of how much cheaper the technology has become, and how dear RC cars once were. No wonder it was such an expensive luxury when we were kids, and why so many of us went on a spree in adult years as prices fell and incomes rose.

(On the other hand, collectibility has nudged many models further beyond reach too....)

As for the Radio Shack Audi Quattro, I've got a near-mint one hopefully on it's way to me as we speak. I never had a chance to look at it much at Tandy/Radio Shack, as it was released in 1986, which just happened to be a year when I was distracted by non-RC toys (shame on me). So I really look forward to trying it out and having it as a display model.

Btw, the reason why I can magically seem to identify and name nearly any Tandy RC car is because I have nearly every Tandy yearly catalogue (and a few Christmas special ones) from 1974 to 1994 [:P]. Sheesh, what a geek I am [xx(]. Actually, it was my father who collected them, I just spent years of my childhood flipping through them, dreaming - just as I did with my old Tamiya catalogues.

quote:Originally posted by Wireless

I got my first r/c in 1982 (by that I mean remote control not radio, as it had a wire) and have had literally dozens of cheap r/c's over

the years. I love them to bits - literally, most ended up wrecked unfortunately The only Radio Shack car I remember having was a Porsche

935. I remember it was the first car I had with proportional controls. I soon moved onto Tamiya with my Falcon.

id="quote">id="quote">

The Porsche 935 [8D]. It ultimately came it White, Black and Red. 1982 - I'm guessing yours was white?

They also released a Porsche 935-78 in 1984.

One of these Porsches was very nearly what I was going to beg Santa for, back in 1984. I eventually settled on the Jeep Renegade, as my parents rightfully said I should choose something that could be driven on the dirt, as we had very little pavement and the road we lived on

was too busy.

But I remember test driving the Jeep and Porsche 935-78 at Tandy prior to Christmas. No wonder I loved Tandy so much - where else could you walk in and test drive any car of your choice straight away? To a seven-year-old, Hobby store 'kit' cars seemed exciting but somehow complicated and exclusive, at least when you're too young to build them yourself (this soon changed of course!).

Anyway, when the salesman handed over the remote for the Porsche 935-78, I thought 'what the badword'. This particular Tandy store was inside a large shopping mall full of shops. So I fired the accelerator, and drove the car straight out of the store and toward the busy shoppers walking through the mall.

With the nice smooth floor, and wide open space of the shopping mall, the car absolutely flew. It was powered by 5 'C' cells, so it was no slouch. But pretty soon I drove the Porsche, which was by now at least 20 metres away from where I stood, straight into a lady's foot - she jumped, wondering what was going on, and by then I had begun to steer the car back to base. Amazing to think the shop let me do all this - what if some other kid had picked up the car and run off with it? But this was 1984 after all...

Another car available at the time was a Mercedes unimog 4wd. Again, this was 1984 at Tandy/Radio Shack. This truck is replica of a Paris Dakar entrant from around that era, and was manufactured (underneath all the Tandy/Radio Shack labels) yet again by Nikko. It was also sold overseas in Europe as a Nikko. Very cool little car.

I think it's high time I began a website about all these cars, I've no doubt it would re-kindle memories for a few people.

quote:Originally posted by Wandy

I had a couple of R/C "toys" when I was about 10 years old and I'd dearly love to get my hands on them now cos I loved them. One was a

Peterbilt truck with a trailer that stripped down from a box container down to a petrol tanker and a flat bed. On the radio control there

was a steering wheel and a forward/reverse flick switch on it with the logo "Likto" on it. The other was an 'A Team' style creamy coloured

van, but for the life of me I cant remember who made it. It wasn't Nikko or Tyco but the name sounded something like that.

If anyone has these two cars I'd love to see some photos of them so that I can rekindle some fond memories.

id="quote">id="quote">

Could it have been 'Schuco'?

Both your cars have got me stumped Wandy...I suspect they were less common brands in my part of the world at least.

quote:Originally posted by focus1

Hi, just want to add that QD's are Toy Cars and that The Nikko Bison Framebuggy 10 are absolutly comperabel to a Hornet ore Grashopper:-)

id="quote">id="quote">

Yeah, the Quick Drives should definitely be mentioned. It's a pity though that Tamiya didn't release them a little earlier in the 80s. I think if they had, then the QD's would have been more popular. It would also have meant we'd have seen a couple of QD's with the roll-cage + headlights look of older buggies, instead of the more space-age designs (Thundershot-onward) of the very late 80s and early 90s.

The R/C model of Radio Shack's (Tandy's) Audi Quattro was also astoundingly beautiful, and better than Tamiya's first Quattro IMHO!! I think that RS's / Tandy's Quattro had a hard ABS bodyshell (God I love hard shells with realistic detail, much better than flimsy vague

lexan IMHO) and digital proportional controls. Never had one. My friend Andrew had one. Would love to find a NIB of one of them.

id="quote">id="quote">

Yep, it did have a hard body shell - as did every car Tandy/Radio Shack (Nikko, Taiyo etc) ever released in those days.

Keep your eyes on ebay Alistair, they do come up once in a while.

cheers,

H.

Great post what a nice read. My fondest memorys as a child are of my Nikko Turbo Panther (along with a love of lego) i would love another one but it seems like an impossible dream at the moment. Any how great post and cheers for the great read.

Cheers for that.

Funny to see this old thread come back after so long. Maybe a few of the newbies who've joined in the past year might have some fun stories to add...?

I'm still just as keen on collecting certain vintage "toy" R/C models, as kit models. The early to mid 1980s really were the best era for R/C at all levels. Companies like Nikko, Taiyo, Shinsei and Yonezawa made some extraordinarily nice models.

cheers,

H.

Have to agree although i do still feel some lovely kits are being made today (f350 semi's the rc tank series) some of the best where in the 80's i will always have a soft spot for tube frame buggys with the yellow headlights B). You mentioned you have the cataloques do they have the (as called in uk) Nikko Turbo Panther and the Nikko Mini Hopper 2 as i have such strong memorys of them from being a child.

Great topic as always, H.

I can't believe we're 3 pages in and nobody's brought up the primary difference: With Tamiya, one has to BUILD the kit, rather than simply unpacking it and charging the battery. This level of involvement is what fosters the attachment we all have for our toys, and is why RTR's ruin the hobby.

The RTR user too often has the instant-gratification Wal-Mart mentality, wanting to return or exchange the car when he breaks something like a control arm or a steering knuckle. They don't understand that hitting something at high speed isn't a manufacturing defect.

I could go on for hours, but I won't. RTR's are fine when you're six years old. Beyond that, you need to learn how to use tools.

I can't believe we're 3 pages in and nobody's brought up the primary difference: With Tamiya, one has to BUILD the kit, rather than simply unpacking it and charging the battery. This level of involvement is what fosters the attachment we all have for our toys, and is why RTR's ruin the hobby.

Does Nikko retail spare parts?

Think of them more as buy-play-break-toss type of brand; not that it hurts their nostalgia either.

A great thread that I have only just found to read. I too had a non Tamiya RTR car as a starter. It's grand title was Camaro Z28 American Sportscar. Sadly I don't know who made it and the car itself was thrown away many years ago.

It was this humble start and my brothers friend who had a Blazing Blazer, Audi Quattro and Ford Ranger XLT that then prompted me to buy a used Sand Scorcher. The rest I suppose is a matter of history.

I'm a life long Tamiya fan, I suppose becuase thats the brand I was exposed to however some of the older RTR and kits are just as special and have a great meaning to a lot of people.

Bottom line, collect what makes you happy.

Adam

Nikko haver bouth spare parts and some hop-ups for atleast some of theire models. I agree that todays RTR buisniss aint doing anny good for the hobby class buisniss. But is going a lot deeper than just that they are RTR. Quality are getting neglectect alot more now than before, generally.

Nikko has spare parts. Just call them up (there are US and Japan bases) and tell them what you want. They have a good selection of parts (they have parts for old cars but don't publicly admit it) at good prices, and everything is free shipping. Last time I called them for parts I had no info on the car's number or even what the parts were called, but they worked with me and even sent me a vintage parts list for free with markings showing what parts they still had available.

Nikko has spare parts. Just call them up (there are US and Japan bases) and tell them what you want. They have a good selection of parts (they have parts for old cars but don't publicly admit it) at good prices, and everything is free shipping. Last time I called them for parts I had no info on the car's number or even what the parts were called, but they worked with me and even sent me a vintage parts list for free with markings showing what parts they still had available.

maybe in the US & Japan but what about users elsewhere?

There's a big Nikko showroom store right next to the Tamiya store in the city where I grew up; last time I went in there I did ask about parts support and they just looked back with blank faces.

As for RTR making ppl lose skills... I wouldn't worry about it.

If RTR wasn't there, new buyers are often already asking hobby store staff to build the kits for them - been going on for years, done it myself (the building - for a fee!) even. I like these buildjobs as they're good buying used - as the noob usually loses interest early without doing too much car damage, the car is usually built right and there's no omitted vital parts...

More RTR cars sold = more on the usedie market! ain't complaining

Guest joelvardy

I know noobs don't like to build models for fear of ruining them but I love building them But I have a lot of free time, Well usually!

So a not to you noobs, you cover the postage and I will build the car for you inc, taking pics of each stage for reference when you have broken it!

Back on topic though!...

The Radio Shack Golden Arrow is another sought after model. NIB examples are so rare, that Golden Arrows in even the most terrible condition may still attract bids. The Golden Arrow was expensive in it's day, and it was the best car ever sold at Tandy/Radio Shack - relative to what Tamiya and others were releasing at the same time. It's also a decent looker. If anyone doubts that it had some reasonable speed potential, here's a fun story on another forum:

Talk about a blast from the past!!!!!!!!!

I will never forget this one!! My first was a Hornet, given to me on my 12th birthday. BUT, whilst waiting for my replacement rear diff casing to come from Japan via 'Uncle Pete's Toys' in Burwood. (Sydney siders of this era and area might remember this place, it was heaven!) This took close to 4 months to arrive. At this point, my evergiving father came home, after 2 weeks of the demise of the diff, with a GOLDEN ARROW!! This thing was indestructable!! Shortly after my cousin got the RHINO. These 2 buggies had the living daylights flogged out of them and kept rising to the occasion. After the said amount of time, and the Hornet back on track, the Hornet was only marginally faster.

After some years, (aged 17) finding the Golden Arrow laying around in the garage, I had an idea.

Since the circuitry was all corroded and after trying to revive it had no success, clever me (Not) chopped it up and morphed it into my sister's barbie corvette, which I painted red with gray underside as pink was not acceptable. Barbie never had this much fun!! And my sister never forgave me.. [:$]

To think, the good ol' Golden Arrow would be mentioned, let alone remembered has absolutely blown me away!!!!

A flood of near forgotten memories has hit me in such a rush my hairs are standing on end at the trip back in time you have just taken me through.

New mission!!! Must try to find that corvette!! If it still exists...........

This thread has really touched my heart in a manner I never expected.

You are a gentleman and a scholar!  [Y][Y]

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!

golden-arrow04_M.jpg golden-arrow06_M.jpggolden-arrow08_M.jpg

golden-arrow13_M.jpg  golden-arrow16_M.jpggolden-arrow12_M.jpg

Finding these pics has totally freaked me out!!! 

I know noobs don't like to build models for fear of ruining them but I love building them But I have a lot of free time, Well usually!

So a not to you noobs, you cover the postage and I will build the car for you inc, taking pics of each stage for reference when you have broken it!

Back on topic though!...

With all due respect, but knowing that you are quite new in the hobby yourself and having seen the build quality of for instance your M04M, I would like to point out a few things. I built RC-cars for customers, showrooms, schools for disabled, fairs and shops for about 20 years myself before moving to Germany in 2000. The peak was during the late '90's, when I built in excess of hundred models each year, learning something new to the benefit of the customer with virtually every single build, and not being "perfect" by far at any time. Putting models together for customers that aren't able to do it themselves and don't have the interest, knowledge and experience to maintain the models, takes a lot more than just being able to follow the assembly manual step by step, which is adequate as long as you build the models for yourself. After all, the model should have the maximum possible reliability and the minimum of wear to give the customer the best possible troublefree fun. This requires a lot of small "tricks" and when necessary, using improved/reinforced parts. However, the customer is often on a limited budget, so the hop-ups must be chosen wisely.  I suggest you spend a few years and build a lot more models before offering a "build service" to others, as you otherwise will only cause trouble for the customers and yourself. As so many things in life, this is a lot harder to do with adequate quality than one tend to think when being young and inexperienced.

Btw, comparing factorybuilt models of different brands, it's quite evident that Tamiya are one of very few companies that deliver high build quality. A clear testimony of the commitment, knowledge and quality assurance needed to build (especially large quantities) of models well.

I agree great, even fantastic topic [:)]

In fact it got the old grey matter whiring and I remembered about an old Radio Shack Z-707 Battle Iron Claw tank I've had in storage since I moved house with my folks in 1994. Had a look this morning and the tank is still in it's box at the bottom of a tea chest from when we moved. It seems to be in excelent condition (must be over 20+ years I've owned it), except for the tank tracks which have gone from rubbery to solid and crumbly brittle plastic.

I'll add some pics to my showroom tonight as I've never seen another and to be honest forgot I had it [:$]. Will do a full restore too but I'm not too sure how I'll mould some new rubber tracks [:^)]

Here Here.  See my nikko in my showroom.  I'm going to buy my one month old a RR Grassy (to put away, of course), because although I would dearly love to buy him the equivalent of a jet hopper (my first decent car - also see my showroom) the RC toys of today don't have that certain something to [as stated] "inspire".  I'm an engineer now, and I think a lot of that comes down to my parents buying me a model car that really worked.  it had suspension, it had handling characteristics that could be changed with springs stolen from click pens around the house.  I want this stuff for my Kid, but the market has spoken, and cheap mass produced no name is what the market wants.  It's sad really, but only time will tell whether like in my collection, a pristine Jet Hopper sits proudly next to Optimas and SRB's, or whether those rather obscenely sized 1/6 formula one cars will just end up in the tip, with their owners lured to other forms of entertainment.  I'm thinking, by my kid a quality car/plane/boat and ban the X-box.  Then start a company that can carry on the Jet Hopper Ethos so future generations get the enjoyment and inspiration it sounds like we all had.

Tamiyas are nice, kyoshos are nicer, but give me a nikko because I love an underdog! 

To call R/C cars that you have to build "toys" is a bit

oversimplified.  The best description would be "toys for

adults."  But then again what is the difference between a

$150,000,000 Ferrari and a grasshopper? There is no difference other than

price, and that most people cannot afford the real 1/1 scale Ferrari.  They are both "toys" for a hobby

that is generally invested by men or adolescents. It all comes down to

perception and what society considers the norm. A wealthy middle-aged man who

invests in a Ferrari for quality, performance and pleasure is perfectly

normal.  But, isn’t that exactly why

hobbyists buy “hobby grade” cars for? 

Look at it this way; the scale of an R/C car is directly proportional to

a cultures acceptance of it.  In other

words, the larger the scale of an R/C car the more people will accept them as

"not toys."  Do an experiment: place a 1/10 car next to a 1/5

gas car and ask some one which one is more of a toy.  I will bet you the majority of the time people will say the 1/10

is.  It is a matter of conditioning and

perception.  If many of us had the money

we might abandon R/C for the full scale thing.

Finally, the difference between a piece of **** nikko

or radioshack car and “hobby grade” is quality, performance and pleasure.  I purchased a Grasshopper for my soon-to-be-brother

in law for Christmas. He builds models and still he had trouble putting it

together.  So much for its “merely a toy.”

Do an experiment: place a 1/10 car next to a 1/5 gas car and ask some one which one is more of a toy.  I will bet you the majority of the time people will say the 1/10 is.  It is a matter of conditioning and perception.  If many of us had the money we might abandon R/C for the full scale thing.

I'd say they are both toys equally as much. Toys come in all sizes, even R/C ones. There are beginner class R/C cars big enough for small children to ride on but they are still toys.

And just because we like R/C cars does not mean that we don't like full size ones! It is a little harder to fund a 1:1 car that goes 200-600mph, find places to run it, and occasionally crash into things without dying.

Finally, the difference between a piece of crap nikko or radioshack car and “hobby grade” is quality, performance and pleasure.  I purchased a Grasshopper for my soon-to-be-brother in law for Christmas. He builds models and still he had trouble putting it together.  So much for its “merely a toy.”

Now now, watch the "****" slinging. Nikko cars (and they do some reselling to Radio Shack) may be low quality compared to a Tamiya, but they cost much less and are marketed for a different group of people. I doubt you would give your 4 year old a Grasshopper and expect them to be able to build it, maintain it, and keep from breaking it. But a Nikko or Radio Shack car is just right for younger children just getting into R/C. They need a car that they don't have to build, don't have to maintain, and that goes a bit slower. I have seen rich kids get expensive RTR hobby grade R/Cs and when they break because the kid ran head on into a wall, the car sits broken and gathering dust and gets sold to a neighbor years later.

Nikko is the top manufacturer of beginner class cars for a reason. They make the highest quality beginner class cars there are. Their cars are nearly indestructible and the company has great parts support. So before you go offending people by calling a Nikko a piece of ****, remember that it's only relatively inferior.