nowinaminute

I finally caved and bought a lockdown kit! 2CV Rally :-O

17 minutes ago, donut_v2 said:

Here's my work in progress c2v body with no chassis and free standing wheels. 

unfinishedc2v.jpg

testtire.jpg

Those wheels and tyres came out great!

Well after all my issues and setbacks and basically putting it to one side, I got a £10 Ebay voucher the other day so I decided to get another can of that orange paint finally and get the back in action.

Paint arrived today, will try and finish it off soon.

• Like 3

Still struggling with this thing. The PS-24 paint is hideous to use. I'm probably 90% through the second can now and I still have areas that look barely painted in the nooks and crannies. I've done 25 coats around the problem areas now since I got the new can. I reckon a good 60% of the paint just drifts off into the air. 25 coats and there's still parts like around the rear lights where parts are still perfectly transparent. If you linger with the can to try and get a better coverage it predictably starts to run.

I'm not buying a third can. It's simply not worth it, especially as I somehow managed to get random little clouds of black everywhere before I started the orange so even on a best case scenario the finish is marred.

Once this can is empty I'm just going to put a white backing on and hope for the best. I'm hoping it works because the finish is so uneven now where I've tried to concentrate on the dodgy parts you can see the inconsistencies even when you're not holding it up to the light.

It's colours like this that make me wish they still sold brush on paint for the lexan bodies. I would try and decant some and paint it into the tough areas but I honestly think most of the paint would just end up airborne and not into whatever receptacle I use anyway.

ok well I don't know if it's the 100ml of PS-24 currently in my lungs or I'm just in a better mood naturally but I finished off the can and backed it with some white and it looks not so bad now all things considered. The window masks have bled as expected but not as bad as I thought, I might not even have to clean the lines up once the stickers are on.

Still have all that black mist that somehow got onto the shell between the black and orange coats but oh well, I guess it can pass for dirt.

AEXqS0q.jpg
4XHS4Oo.jpg
9n4V1Kx.jpg

Need to mask and pain the roof next. I'm going to try and spray it from slightly too far away to see if I can get that almost textured effect, not orange peel but more like a grainy sandpaper look, I thought that might be a bit closer to the texture of the real cloth roof.

Can't wait to get the paint done so I can do the stickers, I think it will come into it's own then. I have plenty of "real" sponsor decals to substitute for the made up Tamiya ones.

I really want a set of these wheels but at the moment, when you go to the checkout on RCmart, it suddenly switches from the reasonable postage option to "international express" $37!!!! I can see they have implemented adding VAT, I wonder if there's a few more things that need to be done the UK can get reasonable shipping again?

lKOOBoe.jpg

• Like 3

While I'm waiting for RCMart shipping to go back to normal, I decided to grab some of these for the time being and go full colour vomit. I think they will clash with the rest of the colour scheme horribly to give exactly the budget motor racing look I'm going for :lol:

Sweep Racing SW0011 Sweep Minis Wheels only, 5 Spoke Type-A Yellow (4pcs)  #0011

• Haha 2

Brilliant! Can't find my masking tape ANYWHERE!

Just had to order some more. I remember putting it somewhere "safe" in plastic bags because i usually just leave it laying around and it picks up dust and fluff etc. Being punished for trying to be more organised, obviously!

Absolutely turned my bedroom where my desk is upside down but to no avail. Even looked downstairs even though I've never done masking anywhere but upstairs at the desk ever!

Oh well. Stay positive, right? Soon I'll have two lots of masking tape because the original stuff will crawl out of hiding as soon as the new stuff turns up!

I got some of the blue 3m fine line tape to try too.

• Like 3

Started putting a few stickers on. Keeping away from the windscreen until I get the roof painted though, something tells me to do that afterwards. Probably the catalogue of problems up until this point lol.

It was nice to substitute the made up sponsors with some real ones. I don't really mind the copyright friendly ones but I have plenty of proper ones so why not?

3sysG64.jpg
Bcg8Yka.jpg

• Like 3

I'm thinking of doing some light weathering after all the painting is done. Maybe a faint black wash and then a very light dusting of brown spray for dirt.

Is there any relatively easy way to make masks to simulate where the window wipers have been? I always think that little touch makes a big difference to realism. What about "mud" splatters? A fine mist of brown would be a good start but what about some actual splotches?

Do you think putting the car in front of a room fan then spraying a tiny bit of paint into the airstream might make a realistic effect?

I have a 2CV body shell for sale if anyone is looking for one.

15 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Do you think putting the car in front of a room fan then spraying a tiny bit of paint into the airstream might make a realistic effect?

This is something that I also have thought of. I've made some tests with diluted gray paint in a pump spray bottle (which is use for plants or ironing, hope you know what I mean) and a hair dryer to simulate road dirt. The result on an old plastic can was quite promising but up to now I didn't try it on a body shell.

• Like 1

Well surprise, surprise. Painting the roof went wrong as well.

Masking it went fine. Painting went fine.

Removing the masking tape?

Some of it went fine and some was an absolute disaster because the paint stretched between the tape and body. I wasn't sure how long to leave it. I figured if I didn't leave it too long, at least any small oversprayes or leaks would be easy to clean up.

No leaks of over sprays whatsoever this time! So I guess I might as well have just left the tape there overnight and let the paint dry properly.

I really don't know what to do now. The will to finish this already left me once and I can feel it ebbing away again.

Not sure I want to go through all the masking again just to risk the same result but it looks a bit pants!

Ig1G6HE.jpg
pwmEevM.jpg
aKL1YQ3.jpg

It still  looks fine from a distance and I know I shouldn't be too harsh on myself because even Tamiya display models have imperfections when you look at really high resolution photos but I just wish the results reflected the effort I put in with this one! And this latest hiccup, not even the obvious issues like tape bleed or fingerprints or over spray etc just to make it even more frustrating!

Hz3Ofkp.jpg
d0YjObl.jpg

Sorry it’s still giving you grief mate. 

I tend to peel the tape off while the paint is soft after running a scalpel blade lightly along the edge. It seems to follow along the edge better that way. I try to peel the tape off by pulling it back on itself rather than having the tape coming of at 90 degrees from the surface as it cuts through the paint better as well.

If I get a rough edge with Dark colours (especially black) I just run along the edge with a Sharpie to tidy it up 👍🏻 Easy done when you have a panel line to follow.

Sounds like you could do with some Lunchbox running therapy to help take your mind off it 😉

With regards to weathering, this guy has some good tips. At about 10 minutes in he goes into wiper marks on a Lexan Beetle body.

• Like 1

@nowinaminute, you could try lating down some of the thicker black Kyosho pin stripe/panel line tape and run a strip along the edge on the outside of the shell where the orange meets the black if you wanted to tidy the edges.

Even cheaper is if you can grab some signwriting self adhesive black vinyl and cut it to your desired width. This works pretty well.

I think it looks great anyway, cool car.

Regards

Kurt

@nowinaminute
As i would see you as pro in this hobby you probably know this, but this stuff remove PS paint from Lexan body like dried soup on kitchen table. You can actually clean! the lexan body as well so it does not harm the Lexan in anyway (all other stuff i tried harm the Lexan or oil it up). It saved me from all the bleeding on Agrios build, just whipe away:

8954C220-B85F-47D4-ACA9-CB490B03E683.jpeg

I don't think it is easy to get in the UK though @simalarion, I added to to a Tamico order a while back but they aren't shipping here just now.

Though it is dirt cheap at Hobby king's global store

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tamyia-polycarbonate-body-cleaner-40ml.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_gb_shopping&countrycode=GB&gclid=CjwKCAiApNSABhAlEiwANuR9YODiJf9o5BYAWAHA5sJSG2R32wwAUDxNWr-q25qVbyaQQ3UmbMMo7hoCW9YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Sorry it’s still giving you grief mate. 

I tend to peel the tape off while the paint is soft after running a scalpel blade lightly along the edge. It seems to follow along the edge better that way. I try to peel the tape off by pulling it back on itself rather than having the tape coming of at 90 degrees from the surface as it cuts through the paint better as well.

If I get a rough edge with Dark colours (especially black) I just run along the edge with a Sharpie to tidy it up 👍🏻 Easy done when you have a panel line to follow.

Sounds like you could do with some Lunchbox running therapy to help take your mind off it 😉

The annoying thing is I didn't have any such problems taking the tape off on the inside. In fact, I don't think I've ever has this problem before now :rolleyes:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

The annoying thing is I didn't have any such problems taking the tape off on the inside. In fact, I don't think I've ever has this problem before now :rolleyes:

I do always even worse. Mostly due to old masking tape or cheap masking tape. Also... blue masking tape has proved to me its a bit better.