Peter_B

Non RC related eBay question

I've sold a few bits and bobs on eBay this week.

One auction finished yesterday afternoon. 24 hours had gone by with no payment received so I used the eBay "send payment reminder" feature to give the buyer a little nudge.

After I do that I get a reply asking if I can wait a week for payment.

My reply is roughly "I don't want to and not sure that I can as I think eBay cancels unpaid sales after 48 hours. Besides which, when bidding, you knew when the auction ended and payment would be required".

His reply to that is "ok if eBay don't cancel then I will pay in a week".

To be honest that made me a bit cross so my reply was "no, I don't want to wait a week. If payment isn't received and eBay don't cancel the sale then I will. I will also report it as being unpaid"

Awaiting a response to that.

Now I have to admit, I'm not sure what the deal is with what eBay does if someone doesn't pay after 48 hours. I need to go and try to find out.

The annoying thing is that, before the auction ended, the guy messaged me to ask a question. He could have also asked then if I'd wait a week for payment if he won the auction.

Am I being out of order anywhere here?

Anybody else had a similar thing happen? Or know what the eBay process is?

eBay won't cancel the auction if not paid after two days, instead you can open an unpaid dispute. The can remain open for up to 36 days, and you will have to action it. The guy is a jerk and should have asked beforehand, but probably knows he'll get away with it anyway. Ebay is geared towards buyers and that's a risk you take as a seller, unfortunately whether you like it or not.

here is an article about it:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-long-does-a-buyer-have-to-pay-on-ebay?r=AU&IR=T

• Like 1

I wait a few days before I send a message, although this time around, I was going onto my long week in work, so sent the people who hadn't paid by day 2, a message saying that I wouldn't be able to post for over a week, due to shifts. They paid up hours after.

Tbh, you've not been too bad, you're getting a reply, so I'd be tempted to wait it out. I've had people throw in a bid in the last seconds, to never respond. 

When you send an, unpaid item dispute, all eBay will do, is give you 2 options, let you cancel without any fees, or charge you the fees and let you fight it on you're own.

I've opened the unpaid item dispute now.

I don't hold out much hope of this chap paying, even if I waited a week. I also get the feeling he might be "trouble" - one of those who receives a perfectly good item but finds something to moan about to try and get money back.

I sold some car suspension on Ebay before the lockdown. The same thing happened to me about no payment, so I waited a few days and sent a message, got the reply of I cannot pay, so had to open a non paying dispute, which took the full time to end. It's annoying but there's not much we can do about it, I always pay as soon as I've won an auction.

• Like 1

I've been selling a lot of my stuff on Mercari. So far it's been great. Check them out if you want a break from ebay.

• Like 1

Ive had the opposite of this recently. In the past three months I have won three auctions which admittedly the item went for quite a steal but the seller hadnt set a reserve and I was the legit highest bidder. I paid within minutes of the item ending and then nothing. Then when I contact the seller to ask if the item has been posted or for a tracking number I recieve a refund with a generic message about the item no longer being available. Basically meaning the seller wanted more for it and in one instance the same item was then relisted with a buy it now of twice the price under another account. I left negative feedback which was then removed by ebay so the seller still has 100% positive feedback even though they are clearly using a shill account elsewhere but ebay dont see bothered.

I have a feeling the tamiya kit i won last night is going to go a similar way too.

• Like 1

:oFargin People!

you wanna play but you don't want to pay?

Makes me sick, as grandma would say "That's a lot of Horse S@#*%!

I never bid on squat didelly.

i purchase now.

I do not get it?

they have a reserve and not knowing what it is unless it has a Buy Now option which is more (some times the same as a reputable vendor i trust and know and they ship asap),

i don't get it with that side of flea bay.

oh well, to each their own.

show me the money, stop window shopping if you can not afford or even purchase the glass right now:lol:

Now the vendors(seller) downside,

Hone in your dam business skills, if i ran my business like yours i'd be homeless, my grandmother would consider you a village idiot!:o....:lol:

I'm blessed that i would not and could not do things to people of this nature. EVER!

First i have to sleep, second i have to build something and concentrate and third, i have to shave.