Sign in to follow this  
Turboturtle

DT-03 rear axle/gear problem -- help needed

Hi, I'm a total novice working with my 10 year old son on his T-03 Racing Fighter.

We had it working initially, but after going in some grass, the right rear axle was spinning without the tire moving, while the left rear axle was not moving at all. 

Both axles have pins in them, and I've checked the pinion gear and the grub screw. For my next step: do I have to take the gear box apart and look at the differential gear?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

If the axle is spinning and the wheel is not moving, you have a disconnect somewhere between the wheel and the output shaft, so the issue should be focussed outside the gearbox if you ask me. Take the wheel out and try to give it some throttle to see if the wheel hub is spinning. If it is (even when you try to hold it down with your hand), then inspect the hex cutout on the wheel. If you can stop it with your hand, or it isn't spinning, then unscrew the hub and check the axle joint from the wheel end, you may have snapped it. 

No need to open the gearbox for now, it seems to be doing what it's designed to do, which is to spin the axle with the least resistance on it, which is the freewheeling one at the moment.

Hope that helped.

• Like 1

Any chance of taking a video showing the issue occurring from several angles, uploading it to YouTube and posting a link here? Perhaps one of us will be able to spot the issue. It sounds intriguing - usually such issues are caused by missing drive pins, but if both are in place and properly engaged with the slots in the hexes, I'm not sure what else to suggest without a video. 

• Like 1

Yes, I think you are on the right trail, because I would check the differential too.  

It's rare for the pins in the diff to break, but who knows, it could happen.  

wlvaIo7.jpg

I can't quite see on the video whether the right dogbone is turning faster than the left when you gun the motor. Does it do anything different to the left one?

If it does, your problem is in the wheel/hub area. Either the dogbone is spinning relative to the plastic axle cup, the axle cup is spinning relative to the metal axle, the axle is spinning relative to the drive hex, the drive hex is spinning relative to the wheel or the wheel is spinning relative to the tyre. If you start disassembly by taking the wheel off, then the hex, then the drive pin, then the upright, then the axle and so forth, comparing them to the manual, you are bound to come across the broken or missing component responsible. 

If it does not, then the issue lies in the gearbox. First suspect would be the pinion, followed by the diff outputs, followed by the diff itself.

I think one of the hexes is missing its pin. Hopefully we can get another pin and then that will fix it. I appreciate the advice, TurnipJF!

Those drive pins are surprisingly good at escaping. I'd get a few of them. 

a also check the gru screw on the pinion. As far as the dogbones go make sure they are in the cups. The wheels attach with a small little post make sure i\they are both set in the wheels.

Thanks so much! I'll post an update after we get some more. I'm sure this won't be the last time I ask you guys for advice! :-)

Indeed - helping out a fellow enthusiast is part of the fun of being on the forum! :D

On 5/31/2020 at 11:20 AM, Turboturtle said:

I think one of the hexes is missing its pin. Hopefully we can get another pin and then that will fix it. I appreciate the advice, TurnipJF!

Take a look at aluminium hexes. They often have a little screw which clamps them on so they don't come off when you take the wheel off. I just buy cheap Yeah Racing ones which work fine

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-aluminum-5-5mm-wheel-adapter-set-bu-for-all-1-10-touring-drift-crawler-car-wa-017bu-00027054

• Like 1