foz75

Wheel and tyre compatibility?

I've been searching but with no luck so far...  is there any way to tell which wheels are compatible with which car? I think there is more than one type of hub / wheel fitting, but wheels just seem to go by the car model name? Am thinking the more retro stuff here, or rere versions, not the newer stuff.  And how to know what tyres fit what wheels? For example, how to know what wheels would fit a hotshot, and what tyres would fit those wheels? Could be any make or model, just some way of confirmation, so that I could buy new wheels and tyres and know they would fit? I guess this might be obvious to those in the know, but I'm still 30 years behind!

• Like 1

I've found, you can fit pretty much any wheel on anything, if you really want to, but you may need slightly wider ,12mm hexes, trim a bit off inner tyre lips (to fit 2" tyres on 2.2" wheels) or sand a bit off a wheel (hornet fronts on a dt03).

You have a few different tyre diameters , but usually for buggies , it's 2" or 2.2" ,a few widths,(in width order) 2wd front, 4wd front, rear and rear truck.

10 minutes ago, foz75 said:

Am thinking the more retro stuff here, or rere versions, not the newer stuff

I class vintage/ retro as 2" wheel, and find Modelsport's website brilliant for searching, you can search for ,tyre, buggy ,2" and there you go.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9960&SubCategoryID=996010&MSAttributeID[58]=713&MSAttributeID[63]=871

It's all a bit of a mess really! Any of the hotshot series run 2" wheels. The Thunsershot series run random 1.9" wide size that nothing else anywhere ever uses. They all mount on the tri spoke drive plate thing. The earlier grasshoppers and trucks are all similar but different too. After that on the buggies they moved to the (still universally used) 12mm hex, and you can run a 12mm hex on any of the hotshot or thundershot series, just by replacing the tri spoke thing with 12mm hex. There is so much variation that it's probably just better to ask specific questions as you go along. 

OK, that makes things a little clearer!  So on a vintage buggy that uses the triangular "hub" thing, that can be swapped for a 12mm hex type, which will then let you run any wheel that fits the 12mm hex type, so long as size, clearance, etc work with that buggy?

Should be ok, provided whatever webs/structure is inside the wheel clear the hub. If its a buggy I guess you don't have bodywork to worry about (like on a touring car body).

2 minutes ago, foz75 said:

OK, that makes things a little clearer!  So on a vintage buggy that uses the triangular "hub" thing, that can be swapped for a 12mm hex type, which will then let you run any wheel that fits the 12mm hex type, so long as size, clearance, etc work with that buggy?

Correct 

I’ve had this issue wanting slick tyres for the tt02b On the MS wheels

its complex 

i have dual blocks but they aren’t cheap 

so many tyres are too narrow 

i ended up just buying  12mm hex wheel and tyre combos from AliExpress - they are pretty cheap for bashing 

£7.52 | 4PCS/SET  Off-Road Tires Wheel Rim Tyres 85MM For Buggy Short Truck Flying Nanda HPI HSP 94106 94166 94107 94170 94177 66015-35
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUh25gp

£5.95  11% Off | Pre-Glued 4pcs 1/10 Buggy Tires Tyre(On-Road) Y Spoke 15% Reinforced Nylon Black Wheel Rim fits for 1:10 4WD Buggy Car 1/10 Tire
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXKVJ4v

JJ

• Like 1