futureworks

Restoring tarnished metal parts - any tips?

As per title, I’d be interested to hear about any simple tips to deal with the likes of what’s in the pics here. Thanks in advance!

323A852F-B538-42B1-BCAD-A1CC46B06B0D.jpeg

D6E91D0E-1B27-412B-858C-465FE816091F.jpeg

Top one looks to be metal, maybe aluminium ? I think I'd put it over the wire wheel on a bench grinder, see if it cleans up.

Is the second one chromed ? kinda looks like it but I can't be sure - either that or its polished stainless.

If its chromed, there isn't much you can do, a bit of polish will tidy it up a bit, you can rub aluminium foil to remove rust and corrosion.

If it is stainless you can clean a lot up with rough spandpaper, then go finer grain and eventually you can polish it with "soap" and mop wheels like:

526847f3-9a17-48da-a50a-4efb63444366.jpg

This will work for the top one too if it is aluminium, just be aware that you'd be removing material to refinish the surface. I would probably mount it in a pillar drill set to the slowest speed and use thin strip of sandpaper to clean it up in the first instance.

it looks to me like the plating as got pitted and has gone so you prob wont get them any batter apart from prep them and paint them

autosol or any other kind of chroem cleaner wont remove rust

you could try wire wool but again it wont return them to looking new replace them with new this is what i had to do on my revo

Thanks everyone, really useful. The answer in the case of the short dog bones ended up being much simpler than I’d anticipated - I used a small piece of metal sandpaper and after only a few minutes, have all four looking much better 😊 - see before and after pics 

CCFB7ABD-9D45-4D01-B6B4-DA038E96BDA5.jpeg

7BAC88E9-3595-4DBF-8C5E-C6B46EA51574.jpeg

• Like 1

..and worked pretty well on the ,longer alu one pictured at the top of the thread, and its mate 👍

37138554-8515-4906-A152-D10C814589A8.jpeg

IMG_5063.JPG

• Like 1

nice work, they've come up well! Surprised that they look that good, I thought they were quite badly pitted from the original photos.