Mario149

Metallic paint backing technique question

Hi all, I've been reading about backing metallic paint so as to make it lighter/darker/"metallic-ier" and had a few questions on exactly how to do it.

For instance, I've read examples where people have done metallic red, then black or gunmetal. In those cases, how many layers of each paint would you do? The full 3 for each colour? Fewer?

I've also read about people say doing 3 layers like metallic red, silver then finally black. Would that again be the full 3 layers each? Or something different?

Any other tips/suggestions much appreciated!

There’s no set amount. You just want to evenly but lightly coat with your base color and then go over it with the backer color. If you want to darken the base color, apply a lot of backer color evenly. If you want to lighten the base, go thin but even with backer. Here is a picture of my SHS with translucent red base and bright gun metal backer. 

DA474420-079A-4E65-B438-72A60F1E6CED.jpeg

• Like 2

Saw a tip on a different forum - but cut some clear plastic soda bottles up into halves and try out some coats and back coats to see which you like better - can mask off sections even, will give you a better Idea how the body will look once you are done - 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jlcox7 said:

Saw a tip on a different forum - but cut some clear plastic soda bottles up into halves and try out some coats and back coats to see which you like better - can mask off sections even, will give you a better Idea how the body will look once you are done - 

That is a very good idea!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 10:12 PM, jlcox7 said:

The other option is to use white plastic spoons.  They work well as the convex shape nicely simulates a car body.

I just use lame bodies to try out my color combos.  Never really liked the tail section on this Carrera GT so it was my tester to try the clear red with a gun metal backing combo

00143F45-2747-4812-91D5-27C01EF15446_zps

I tried clear red and light gun metal and got this. 

985F42E5-0442-4EA6-9F50-56B8BD65D5D3_zps

Does backing work for hard bodies as well as lexan? So you would put your primer layers on then a base colour then your main colour?

55 minutes ago, Wetman said:

Does backing work for hard bodies as well as lexan? So you would put your primer layers on then a base colour then your main colour?

It does for metallics or candy or clear colours.  For instance you can get a really nice  candy apple red by painting metallic gold, then clear red.  Or backing metallic red with black can look good.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 9:50 PM, Mario149 said:

Hi all, I've been reading about backing metallic paint so as to make it lighter/darker/"metallic-ier" and had a few questions on exactly how to do it.

For instance, I've read examples where people have done metallic red, then black or gunmetal. In those cases, how many layers of each paint would you do? The full 3 for each colour? Fewer?

I've also read about people say doing 3 layers like metallic red, silver then finally black. Would that again be the full 3 layers each? Or something different?

Any other tips/suggestions much appreciated!

This is a useful intro with a good example. 

As above, no hard and fast rules on the amount of primary colour you put down - but the amount will influence the tone of it. So test first. The more you put down, the less the backing colours can come through. 

Backing a metallic with a light coat of silver then white makes it poppier, backing it with black gives more depth and subtlety and a darker tone. If you are backing with a dark shade - black or gunmetal be aware that the primary colour will be darkened quite heavily like the Porche above. AND if you have other colours that are light and not backed, the darker shade will back them too, so you may need to mask sections off depending on the design. 

• Like 1

Hi Howards, good info, thanks. The dark shade of that Porsche is broadly what I'm aiming for. I've ordered metallic red and gunmetal, so fingers crossed. As when the car arrives and I paint it, I'll post it up here to show the (hopefully okay!) results :)

4 minutes ago, Mario149 said:

Hi Howards, good info, thanks. The dark shade of that Porsche is broadly what I'm aiming for. I've ordered metallic red and gunmetal, so fingers crossed. As when the car arrives and I paint it, I'll post it up here to show the (hopefully okay!) results :)

Have fun with it. Love a good translucent / metallic / candy paint job.

Experiment on soft drink bottles.

If you want more red, try backing your candy red with straight red, then your backing colour(s) of choice.

Play around and see what works.

Hard bodies are no different to lexan except you paint the other way around. Lay the backing first (being conscious of light or dark primer also), then your top coat(s) and clear.

• Like 1

Hi folks, going for a retro look on lexan Brat body using PS42 Corsa grey (which is blueish I believe). I want a flat colour finish. Should I be going for a good few coats of the base colour then white or siver backer? Cheers!

So in case anyone was wondering, this is how she turned out. 2 coats of metallic red, followed my 2 of gunmetal. Needless to say I'm very pleased :) Decal colours seem to work with the colour as well :)

225779328_WhatsAppImage2020-06-08at14_36_40.thumb.jpeg.0f7fad26ccc569040b14522a69147153.jpeg

1823969631_WhatsAppImage2020-06-08at18_03_22.thumb.jpeg.490ccff2e95a552193461456b81802c9.jpeg

2069297348_WhatsAppImage2020-06-08at18_03.22(1).thumb.jpeg.6153163d45501680543ac6def71a8479.jpeg

139893874_WhatsAppImage2020-06-08at18_03.22(2).thumb.jpeg.b9037912294a33b1db3f01816a180545.jpeg

377095947_WhatsAppImage2020-06-08at18_03.22(3).thumb.jpeg.cda02097ae8a0abb8510192a48604f47.jpeg

I've got a Top Force that's just arrived and I'm tempted to do the same technique as above but swap out the metallic red for a metallic blue as I *really* don't like the box art green!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mario149 said:

So in case anyone was wondering, this is how she turned out.

Bangin'! I've got a Viper body in the post, good inspiration. 

• Like 1

Hi, I was wondering how to come up with the color dark metallic green? will translucent green backed by gun metal do the trick?

On 6/2/2020 at 9:15 PM, Shodog said:

I tried clear red and light gun metal and got this. 

985F42E5-0442-4EA6-9F50-56B8BD65D5D3_zps

I would have thought so - this was done with translucent red apparently, so I imagine you'd get the same effect with green

For my next buggy, I'm thinking about doing maybe just a single layer of metallic blue, followed by a couple of gunmetal. I'd almost want looking gunmetal with a hint of (sparkly) blue in it, rather than actually blue

4 hours ago, kid168 said:

Hi, I was wondering how to come up with the color dark metallic green?

Could also try translucent green + light silver + black backing coat