Tudorp

water proofing CF-01

Hey guys (and gals). I am starting my Wild Willy 3.0 today. I am taking a spare original 80s Wild Willy body, and retrofitting it to the chassis from the GF-01 Heavy Dump chassis. That said, I would like to make it water proof, or at least water resistant. I do not plan to ever submerge it, but would like to run through mud/shallow water at times, and want to protect the electronics. On the GF-01, the ESC & Receiver both are not protected or encased. I was originally thinking on putting them in balloons like Tamiya did back in the 80s. I don't think those Tamiya balloons are sold anymore. Maybe I can find some regular balloons that are thick enough to hold up? Or do you guys have any other suggestions to make the GF-01 water resistant. Also on the motor, any suggestions there? I know Tamiya used to supply a heat shrink wrap for the cans to cover up the cooling holes in the can, but not sure that is good, because the motor does need to cool. Is wrapping that, or heat shrinking over the can a food idea? Any suggestions there? 

I think you have 3 main options:

• Buy waterproof electronics
  • Buy waterproof boxes for electronics.  This will require some custom work as most of those are for boats or Traxxas rc's.
  • Find/buy the waterproof rubber balloons you mentioned

I don't find that the rubber balloon type approach is used as much these days.  It seems most go with the first two.

I might try to build a water proof enclosure if I can add one and keep the body as low as I can on the chassis. Might be an issue. Maybe in some way make the fuel sell area a water proof enclosure. Might look into that. The balloon thing did work well. I had it on my old Super Champ back in the 1980s. Worked pretty good, but the rubber does deteriorate, which is why it isn't used much anymore. But, it is a viable option. 

Aren't brushed motors waterproof? Some people break them in by running them submerged in water.

Don't think so. They are still prone to corrosion etc when inside of them is exposed to water or miosture. I have never heard of them being broke in running them under water. Not sure what that would accomplish. 

Yup, break them in in a glass of water with a couple of C cells. It seats the brushes and the water is a kind of cutting fluid I guess. Works a treat. I do it with all my new motors and I find they live a bit longer. 

They certainly are prone to corrosion from dirty water as my motors that get run in my clod when it snows will tell you. They don’t last long if you forget to rinse them out and there’s all the road salt in them.

Edit :

forgot to mention, for waterproofing circuit boards I use corrosionX. There’s a few YouTube vids around on it for rc. 
ive done a few esc, all my receivers and a couple of bec. I’ve only had one bec fail but it was a cheapo so might not have been to the corrosionX I suspect. 

Best bit is it would allow you to mount your esc etc as you are now. 

This was the first one of many when I searched for brushed water break in.

good video. But being a former aircraft electrician for a lot of years, then an industrial electrician for many more years, I guess it will be fine, but I just can't drink that koolaid. he is right about the blocked new brush, vs it wearing into the stator poles, however, run a motor  for just a few minutes and the new brushes will conform anyway. They are soft graphite and wear into shape very quickly. The only thing the water might do is cause it to wear into shape smoother than simple running it for a few minutes. However, just a few minutes of dry run time and sparks it will be pitted anyway. So, if it does have any benefit, it is minimal, and short lived anyway. So, fine if you want to do it that way, but frankly, I don't see any benefit other than it makes a cool video.. ;)  But that is me.. 

• Like 1

I've never run one in water like that. I just stick them in the car and run it. I was just pointing out that water doesn't ruin a brushed motor. There are also waterproof sensorless brushless systems available if you wanted to go that route.

Understood. I never heard of it before until you mentioned it. But then again, I have been out of the hobby circles since before the internet.. lol. 

Personally, I would just go with waterproof electronics (servo, ESC & receiver).  It will just be easier in the end, but maybe a little more expensive to start.