Sign in to follow this  
Clytown

TA07 swerves at high speeds

Three years ago I built a Tamiya TA07 to take to a local track. Had a 21.5 T motor. No problems. Then life got in the way and it sat on a shelf for three years. So today the local track has closed down for good so I put a 13.5T motor for some high speed in the streets. At mid/low speed the car drives straight. But when I start to top out the car will suddenly pull to the right or left. Almost a jerky motion and it will continue to drift that direction unless I straighten it out. Reminds me of when you drove with an AM or FM radio that caught some interference. When I pick up the car the steering is centered and seems pretty tight. Tires spin together and are in good shape.  Anyone have any ideas what may cause this and how to fix? Thank you

is the car running any rear end toe in at all? if not, you may find at high speeds or when the power is applied at higher speeds the rear wheels will loose traction. just a thought, but that could cause it to be unstable at higher speeds.

16 minutes ago, Clytown said:

Three years ago I built a Tamiya TA07 to take to a local track. Had a 21.5 T motor. No problems. Then life got in the way and it sat on a shelf for three years. So today the local track has closed down for good so I put a 13.5T motor for some high speed in the streets. At mid/low speed the car drives straight. But when I start to top out the car will suddenly pull to the right or left. Almost a jerky motion and it will continue to drift that direction unless I straighten it out. Reminds me of when you drove with an AM or FM radio that caught some interference. When I pick up the car the steering is centered and seems pretty tight. Tires spin together and are in good shape.  Anyone have any ideas what may cause this and how to fix? Thank you

After that long on the shelf, might be worth cracking open the diffs and checking the oil and seals. 

if you suspend the car off the ground does it do it ?

How far away is the car when the problem happens, will it happen if you run at high speed close to you ?

Either is mechanical or electrical interference of some sort. The interference could be external or onboard. If you can see the steering flick when the car is off the ground I'd suggest its internal, if it only happens whe the car is some distance from you or in specific places its probably external.

If its mechanical the car probably needs to be on the ground to make it happen - as suggested maybe a diff or traction that needs some load to become apparent.

They you all for these suggestions. I will check these out in the next couple of days and report back.