dannymulder

I am done using the tble-02s esc again

Yesterday I pulled out the 3800kv hobbywing motor and esc out of my cc-01, and  put back in the tamiya tble-02s esc with the 1740kv brushless motor that I had used before in my cc-01.

so I thought it would be an easy job with the only thing to do is set up the high points, but after a lot of times trying to get it working the only thing it does was the motor cogging very bad make sounds like gears are grinding and heat up pretty bad, so I decide to use a hobbywing esc  so the motor was working but it lost power and make a lot of high pitch noise.

So the stupid tamiya esc not only killed itself but the motor to, not happy with that just when I thought I was done with the car this happens:angry:.

I don't know what went wrong because the motor and esc worked fine together before I pulled them out my cc-01 and then never get used in another car.

It is not the first tble-02s that give me problems I had 2 before that act strange and killed itself, most of the times I use hobbywing esc and I have 1 castle esc none of the ever failed on me or gave me troubles.

And the tble-02s are a pain to progam and set up, the hobbywing are easy as it can be, so for me I do not use the tamiya ones again, i have a brand new one but I am not going to use it, I sell it.

• Like 1

A similar thing happened to me. My Tble-02 acted strangely then wouldn't work. I've changed to a Quicrun 1060.

Instructions to the Tble-02 are a nightmare too.

Excuse me for asking a silly question, but it was a sensored motor you connected, right?  (I thought to ask because usually, sensored motors would say 19.5t, or 21.5t. Not always, of course.)

I have a love-hate relationship with the TBLE-02s.  Mostly hate.  I despised them when they first started being the standard kit ESC... but I've since had them work fine for me in several runners.  My favorite brushed Tamiya ESC is still the good old TEU-101BK.

I have a BL setup with a TBLE-01 / TBLM-01 in a Boomerang which works well but I hate the tiny power switches that don't attach to the chassis properly.  That's one thing the TBLE-02s has on other BL ESCs: a normal sized power switch.  I picked up the optional cooling fan kit for it and am soon going to use it with a TBLM-02s motor on my runner Stadium Blitzer.  Adding the cooling fan - as far as I can tell - makes the TBLE-02s more or less equivalent to the BL-only TBLE-03s, except with that nice big power switch.  Hopefully the combo works well.  I think controlling temp is key with this unit.

• Like 1

I like the TBLE-02S for my bashers, I must have 6 - 8 of them and some even do racecar duties. I lile that they can do brushed and brushless, especially since a 13.5T brushless is about the sweetspot for most Tamiya's.

I've had the BEC fail which is annoying though, other than that they are great

• Like 1

I fitted the TFU-01 fan to a TBLE-02S and it is really noisy, much louder than ESCs that come with a fan.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:59 AM, beefmuffin said:

Adding the cooling fan - as far as I can tell - makes the TBLE-02s more or less equivalent to the BL-only TBLE-03s, except with that nice big power switch.  Hopefully the combo works well.  I think controlling temp is key with this unit.

I believe the TBLE-03S is a 120A output, compared to the 02S which is only 60A.

I just blew up my first TBLE-02S and probably won't bother with them again. The aftermarket has this area nailed, there's no modern equivalent of the robust Tamiya electronics anymore, in my opinion. The TEU-302BK was a great ESC at an affordable price. Now outperformed by a £12 Hobbywing 1060. There's no modern equivalent from Tamiya IMO. Also the refusal to acknowledge LiPo means you're always at risk of damaging batteries, too.

5 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I believe the TBLE-03S is a 120A output, compared to the 02S which is only 60A.

I just blew up my first TBLE-02S and probably won't bother with them again. The aftermarket has this area nailed, there's no modern equivalent of the robust Tamiya electronics anymore, in my opinion. The TEU-302BK was a great ESC at an affordable price. Now outperformed by a £12 Hobbywing 1060. There's no modern equivalent from Tamiya IMO. Also the refusal to acknowledge LiPo means you're always at risk of damaging batteries, too.

Totally agree. While I've had good luck with my 02s esc's, they are pretty terrible compared to newer and cheaper units. They are also much larger than a 1060 which makes mounting them in some cars difficult. I do however think that I would use them more if they came with an actual Lipo cutoff with sensored motors

Recently I successfully added a lipo cut off and changed all the wiring to black on my 02s with fan and haven’t had any problems with it so far running 10.5 BL.

Also just received an 03s for current build so will be interesting to see if any differences in running. First thing I noticed is the 03s is way smaller which helps for some applications.

Im looking to add a lipo cut off to the 03s also but haven’t managed to find any tutorials yet-not sure if it’s even possible..?

First Tamiya experiences so fingers crossed

Greg

1 hour ago, gregdogghurst said:

Recently I successfully added a lipo cut off and changed all the wiring to black on my 02s with fan and haven’t had any problems with it so far running 10.5 BL.

Also just received an 03s for current build so will be interesting to see if any differences in running. First thing I noticed is the 03s is way smaller which helps for some applications.

Im looking to add a lipo cut off to the 03s also but haven’t managed to find any tutorials yet-not sure if it’s even possible..?

First Tamiya experiences so fingers crossed

Greg

Did you add the resistor on the board just like the hack done here? http://laneboysrc.blogspot.com/2015/08/tamiya-tble-02s-mod-for-lipo-cut-off.html

I'm interested on doing it on one of my ESC too. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, burakol said:

Did you add the resistor on the board just like the hack done here? http://laneboysrc.blogspot.com/2015/08/tamiya-tble-02s-mod-for-lipo-cut-off.html

I'm interested on doing it on one of my ESC too. 

Yes that’s exactly the tutorial I used 👍🏽 was straight forward with correct tools and preparation 

I also shortened the switch cable and swapped out all the wiring for black while I was in there

Greg

did you happen to use a special soldering iron? I only have a cheapo soldering iron but I really want to tackle this project. Did you use a 33kohm or 27kohm resistor and what size/type (SMD or the cylinder type?)

23 hours ago, burakol said:

did you happen to use a special soldering iron? I only have a cheapo soldering iron but I really want to tackle this project. Did you use a 33kohm or 27kohm resistor and what size/type (SMD or the cylinder type?)

I used my normal soldering iron-nothing special but has changeable tips so you will need the smallest one possible. 

27kohm SMD resistor size 0805

Greg