Saito2

Lunch Box rear suspension... that old chestnut

Oh and here is some more video from the other day.

I tried to go out yesterday and get some more video after adding thicket oil to the dampers. It was last day of dry weather but one of the gearbox mount parts cracked and I'm out of spares at the moment. That's a part that could really do with being made from alloy.

I can't really fault the 3d printed part in terms or print quality as it cracked diagonally in the opposite direction to the print layers so I think it's just a case of the material (PETG) not being able to cope with the forces from all that suspension movement plus the aggressive driving I've been doing. I think my links have gotten slightly asymmetrical somewhere along the line too which has probably caused an uneven distribution of load but either way, I think a stronger solution would be good.

Will get more video soon when it dries up again.

• Like 2

Man , that thing is on rails !! . I still need to properly shake down my Ultima LB rear end . I hope it is as good as yours , if it's half as good I'll be happy

That's amazing!! Possibly the best handling CW-01 on Earth! 👍👍👋👋👋👋

Those parts probably should be made out of Alloy... But 3D Printed media is getting better by the day.

18 hours ago, Carmine A said:

That's amazing!! Possibly the best handling CW-01 on Earth! 👍👍👋👋👋👋

Those parts probably should be made out of Alloy... But 3D Printed media is getting better by the day.

To be fair, it's just the chassis side mounts that seem to be prone to breaking, the other parts are still the original ones I put on there.
image.png.83d6ed27f6d6ac7cf967182bb366276a.png

I've had a fair few of the Tamiya ball studs pull out or even pop off so I started adding brass inserts that you heat up and melt into place. That has moved the weak point along to the next part which appears to be these mounts. Again, I can't fault the print as the layers didn't separate or anything, just reached the material limits I think (PETG) there are other materials but it seems to make the price rise dramatically.

20210504_162645.thumb.jpg.1def57da906ef624d31c3c7ac41b8052.jpg

I might try and just hobble some of those out of aluminium. I think the other parts will probably be ok as they are for the most part. 

• Like 3

Like I said, 3D Printing technology is catching up... But that doesn't help you now. 

How about making those bits out of thick ABS, or Kydex, which is even stronger?? May involve some creative carving, maybe laminating a few sheets together to make a thicker piece. 😊 

That's what we used to do back in the ancient times, before 3D Printing!! 😜  It might just work. OR.... If you have access to the equipment, make them from Alumininium. 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I might try and just hobble some of those out of aluminium

Shouldn't be that difficult t.b.h. - a vice , hacksaw, 3mm tap set and some good files should see it off .

• Like 1

@nowinaminute I paused your video a few times when you turn around in front of the camera. It looks like you've got amazing rear suspension articulation. Nice!

• Like 1

Got a bit more video the other day of torture testing it on ruts. This is basically what I wanted to get the other day but it was getting dark so the camera had gone into potato mode.

It was pretty much un-drivable over this stuff when it had the stock rear end and even when I first added 4-link it was was all over the place. The difference now is crazy.

Could do with slightly thicker oil in the dampers still and maybe springs a hair firmer but I'm not decided about that yet, I'd rather it sag and droop a little if it means it's this responsive to the terrain.

I got some slow motion too which I will post soon.

• Like 3

Oh and PS: I didn't realise those silly beeps were in the music till after I uploaded it :lol: I added the song and the first few seconds sounded fine so I stuck it on youtube. It wasn't a deliberate attempt at being cheesy lol

Here's some slo-mo. Really amazed by how it did considering the terrain, not perfect but the important thing is it would bounce all over the place before on the same ground.

• Like 3

Totally amazing. Maybe you can offset the cost of printing these parts by selling some kits to the rest of us! I’d buy one. 

Can you share more details?? Shocks, springs, oils weights? I never got mine as dialed as yours is.

What is going on up front? CRP kit or Ampro kit?