Jay77

Help with light kit

Hi guys,

I’ve recently purchased a Tamiya Lunchbox with a standard servo and a Planet Rock Solid receiver.  Everything was fine (I followed your instructions to set the ESC) until I tried to wire up this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CQDNM2N/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I’ve got the ESC plugged into channel 1 on the channel 1 on the light kit, the servo into channel 2 on the light kit.  The light kit’s Channel 1 and Channel 2 connectors are plugged into the receiver, as is channel 3, but all the controls are now a mess.  Could it be because I only have a 2 channel transmitter?

Please, help!  I will send a case of beer!

Jay

IMG_4022.jpg

From other radios I've used, channel 1 is usually for the steering servo and channel 2 is for the ESC.  Also, looking at your photo, it looks like you skipped channel 2  and plugged into channels 3 and 4 of the receiver; should those leads be moved over one position?

I think I'd:

• Move the LED controller's channel 2 and channel 3 leads over one position on the receiver; make sure the LED controller's lead are plugged into the corresponding receiver channels.
  • Swap the ESC and servo connections to the LED controller so the servo is on channel 1 and the ESC is on channel 2.
  • I see you left channel 3 unconnected (the black channel 3 tag); just leave that unconnected for now...

Edit to add:

I don't think this is a genuine Tamiya product.  It shows the logo on the channel tags and on the body of the LED controller, but this looks more like a generic GT Power controller and not a Tamiya TLU-series controller.

I'd still recommend the changes noted above, but it may be worth a try to leave CH3 disconnected on the receiver too since you don't have a three-channel radio sending a valid signal to the third channel.

• Like 1

Yes..I think it goes like this... "1 to turn, 2 to burn".?

• Haha 1

Yeah ch1 is steering. (It even says so on transmitters)

I’m trying to sort mine at the moment (£10 China version - according to ampro is one of the better kits)

o6IDXtJ.jpg

still complex though 

swap the channels over and then see if it’s working ok

JJ

Thanks, guys.

I've  made the changes above, but the lights are still not working to the right control.  This is beyond frustrating...

Did a little Googling and I read a case where someone said he had to turn on his third channel to make the LEDs work correctly.  With a 2-channel radio,  you may be out of luck.

Thanks, JJ.

Is this the video?  I’m going to try a hard reset of the ESC and re-pair my transmitter to the receiver, as I had it working at one point.

Jay

Hey, Speedy,

This is my transmitter.  It has a CH3 switch that turns the headlamps on and off.

Jay

978AE43D-5171-431D-9B8D-7EF3F99AFE2A.jpeg

Jay - nothing to do with the ESC tbh 

does the box inside the shell not have a few switches

mine (albeit a Chinese one) has a few options

on mine you can have the headlamps on all the time or with the throttle 

JJ

Jay - nothing to do with the ESC tbh 

does the box inside the shell not have a few switches

mine (albeit a Chinese one) has a few options

on mine you can have the headlamps on all the time or with the throttle 

MQKOPbP.jpg

JJ

I got one of these around Xmas time, baffled me too until I realised the LEDs were all in the wrong places.

it's not a bad wee unit for a cheap knock off but the lack of instructions or anything had me really stuck. I searched eBay for a listing that had all the pics of how it worked etc. 

Edited by ad456
Spellcheck

Thanks, guys!

I’ll take a look at eBay and have a muck around with the placement of the lights on the box.

I’m determined to get this working as I’ve dropped so much money on add ons, etc,  not to mention all of the man hours.

Keep well and stay safe - I’ll be back with an update later...

Jay 

@problem child, I don’t need to connect the ESC and servo to the light kit?

No - not to get the lights to work 

you connect the servo and ESC to the Y connector anyway yeah?

the kit just takes the feed from the receiver and makes each light turn on

the lighting kit should be the thing plugged into the the receiver 

JJ

I’m being really thick!

so, not servo to ch1 on lighting kit and not ESC to lighting kit?

I’ve jus remembered it was odd about where the trim was. Like it didn’t want to re-center with the indicators for me as I trimmed a lot one way. It would favour the side that had been trimmed and stay indicating unless I quickly steered the opposite way. 

I wondered if there was a setup process for it that I missed. Similar to setting up an esc. 

Okay, I nearly, got the lights to play along, but now my steering is non-responsive!

This was a labour of love, now it’s heading to the bin.

82A3DA68-E57C-43FF-A6E3-866475A9AA63.jpeg