Jay77

Help with light kit

Thanks, guys.

I’ll set up a WhatsApp call once I receive the pack.

Kudos to Keith who was up late to video call!

This is an awesome forum!

Jay

• Like 1

Hope you can get it fixed 

I can’t believe you’ve knackered your receiver though :)

normally they just don’t work

JJ

Wow!  Mate, that is brilliant!!  I love it.  I really need to get mine working...

It’ll take some time 

it’s complex 

just chill and sit and think about how the kit works (on literally but as part of your RC system

JJ

Thank, buddy.

Keith, I’m still waiting on the testing kit, but Amazon in quoting mid-July as it’s coming from China.

Shall I just go ahead and buy an ESC from a UK firm?

Jay 

24 minutes ago, Jay77 said:

Thank, buddy.

Keith, I’m still waiting on the testing kit, but Amazon in quoting mid-July as it’s coming from China.

Shall I just go ahead and buy an ESC from a UK firm?

Jay 

The link I sent is an example of what to get. You don't necessarily need that exact one. 4XAA battery holders with Futaba-style plugs are pretty common items - maybe a local seller will have one?

Or you could buy a new ESC and try it, but then there is the chance that you may need to buy a new receiver too if that doesn't fix it. But then at least you'll have a spare ESC if that happens. Up to you - I'll try and help with the setup whatever you decide. 

Thanks, Keith...

I'll think it through (I've got nothing but time during lockdown).  I could ship it to someone to fix along with the beer and bottle of liquor to fix ;-)

Take care, guys.

Stay safe.

Jay

I suspect that it might be better in the long term for us to sort it out together - that way if anything goes wrong further down the line, you'd be in a better position to put it right independently. However if we don't get anywhere with that approach, I am sure that I or one of the other members would be able to sort it out for you if you were to ship it over.

Cool!  I guess it’ll be a really useful learning experience as I do plan on buying more kits.

• Like 1

Guys,

I’ve just made and fitted rear oil shocks.  Very gratifying!

Jay 

Hey guys,

I hope you're all well...

I'm still waiting on the testing kit that Keith kindly recommended.  In the meantime, I'm looking at other 'hop-ups'.  At the moment, the car has;

- Aluminium body mounts

- Alloy rear wheel mounts

- A Sports Tuned Motor

- Racing bearings

- Rear oil shocks (still waiting for the front pair to arrive from Japan)

I've seen a video (Tamiya Legends on Youtube) about a 'Tamiya Super Modified' motor....  Is this worth getting, or should I go brushless?

Also, can you recommend any other modifications whilst we wait for the electronics to be diagnosed and fixed?

Take care,

Jay

Brushless 

there was a guy who posted a lunchbox on 6S brushless earlier in the week - wow :)

and look up ampro lunchbox on YouTube 

JJ

Thanks, JJ!

I got the lens kit from Ampro, so will look them up for other mods...

I'll also look up a brushless motor.

J

Guys,

Really dumb question...

I’m blinded by all the motors out there.  Any suggestions?  Also, is a 3-step controller worth the bother?

Jay 

9 minutes ago, Jay77 said:

Guys,

Really dumb question...

I’m blinded by all the motors out there.  Any suggestions?  Also, is a 3-step controller worth the bother?

Jay 

Did you order a replacement ESC in the end? If so, which one? And would you want to use it with your new motor, or get a new ESC to go with it?

The sensorless GoolRC combos aren't as refined as the sensored setup you could achieve with a TBLE-02, but they can be very quick and are good value. I have fitted a few of them to mates' cars and they haven't reported any issues, so they seem to be quite reliable on the whole.

Cool, will look it up and place an order later...!

The delivery times are killing me

Actually, I guess we should get this current set-up working then look at further mods.  I think I should get my head around getting the basics right..?

Actually, in terms of setup, the GoolRC combos are simpler than the TBLE-02, so if you want to start with the basics as it were, perhaps a GoolRC combo is a good move?

Okay, guys!  

you know best!  I’ll whack an order in.

watch this space...

Jay