stefank

Tamiya lancia 037 and some Srb resurrection

Hello every one. hope you all safe in this situation. Normally i restore  normal vehicles and restore old model cars sometimes...  i stopped with rc 1998  and now in taking up this hobby.  i like to restore and give new life to things... so a very good friend of me  brought me some vintage part(we help eachother all times)...  so started looking on all my stuff and gather together... so  decided to restore a Lancia 037 from the 80's

maybe not the best decision .. as has already caused me sleepless nights :)

and decided to register here to get maybe some help and advice and a good time. as i said..  im abit rusty as been pause since 1998 (last one was a kyosho USA 1 with double engines)

anyway here is the baby im trying to give a new life

20200521_165836.jpg

• Like 2

and after some  cleaning   waiting for some parts (genuine 80's)  i try to keep it genuine as possible as in 80's and if some one can tell me how to rotate a picture here  would be great :)20200601_122400.thumb.jpg.18b3c2e87683fb11e769fc9c5913251f.jpg

Good luck with this! 

On the plus side, almost all of the ORV chassis parts are plentiful and reasonably cheap. With the re-re Frog and Brat to choose from, this also means that 80's ORV parts are cheap.

The body looks in great condition so you are already onto a winner.

The killer parts are the window for the body, the mount for the bumper and the wheels and tires.

It looks like you have non stock wheels and tires on and personally I think they look rather good! I would love to know what make they are. Do you know?

Tires are very hard to find and the wheels almost impossible. No other car used either so parts are thin as terrifyingly expensive when they do come up.

The bumper mount is as rare, but I believe there is an option out there on shapeways. Worth a look anyway.

The window piece is also very rare. You could buy a re-re one (but they are either much darker smoked than the original or transparent). They fit perfectly but for genuine 80's style you would need to dremmel out the drivers side window. Not sure why Tamiya did that, it weakens it and not sure how often they rallied with the windows down. 

No idea how to rotate pictures!

Good luck and keep the photos coming.

• Like 1

Hello NJM ,    I have the bumber stand  and the original window  in good state and  the side intakes   , even  the original   380 engine that came  with it  . I see there is quite some difference  in the re-re models,  chassi ,  diff,   axels   , servo setup etc.... so  i dished the idea to   use many re re parts as even if i  don't have  the wheels and tyres i will do my best to keep it genuine.... as  otherwise i cannot sleep  dreaming wrong parts are there  :)  

i have all to make it  100%    except the    the tyres and wheels and stickers...... i been looking everywhere  ( stickers i find but  they are abit pricy).... i guess i need to  go the route of  Honda city tyres and wheels :(....

the worst of all i have  basically  2 cars  of this and i have not  even 1 tyre and wheel ...

i have found 2 rear tyres in very very bad condition.... on their way.......its better than nothing atleast... i need to keep my hopes up

the wheels on this is fox i assume

and yes i will keep  the picture coming,  need to setup my wifes airbrush booth and stuff and  give  body a light primer

i  see that it looks that the front arms are very small difference. the middle bar is slightly  thinner on re re parts  and also you see the ejector pins from side on old parts  and on new 2 spru attachment points and old 1... assume they made a new tool as adding material in tool is much harder than taking away... anyway is a very very small detail.. but as old ones in good condition i will use them :)

20200602_182603.jpg

need to start tearing down and clean it . and find proper screws for the front bumprr holder :)

20200602_182437.jpg

Can't wait to see your progress!  Almost got the Lancia back in the day, but went with the frog instead.  Was this a car you already had, or scored it somewhere?

• Like 1

its a car from a very good friend , i  help him  find  rare parts for his  oldtimers  ( he has a few in beautiful condition) specially in japan as i travel frequently there for work  ( in normal non Covid situations)  and  we made a swap basically ... but maybe i give it back to him in a few years  when he turns 70....( its a thought i have)

i do my best to  do progress, but my daughter is also  very un patience  regarding the  Playhouse im building  her :)

Great to see a vintage getting a new lease on life 👍🏻

Have a read through this thread as there’s a solution in it about using Willys Wheeler wheels...

Good luck with it buddy

• Like 1

Dear 

Thank you , i might need some luck yes :) , i had a read  and yes found via google a link to this earlier........ yes that will haft to be my plan B,  but  i will keeping my hope up  to one day find wheels..( if i dont keep my hope up then i loose  motivation) 

Cheers

hello.. so after a a weeken building my daughters play house i can finally get back to this lancia....  so  im suprised of all the parts condition .. looks to me (my opinion ) is vgc for 1983...  just the chassi  was yellowish... so i took pain to sand it down 1000 grit ,1500 and 2000 grit wet.. and now going to dig up some Novatio medium course and fine grit and start polish... .. i know i could have done the easy way and replace chassi... but... didnt want that..  if anyone has a quicker way how to turn  yellowish chassi back to original color  i gladly be happy for advise... as this was abit painful ( miss my orbital sanding machine from garage.. even better if it was in 1/10 scale :) ...)

Screenshot_20200607-173059_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-173120_Gallery.jpg

so after a quick 2 step polish.. its not perfect.. but its also 37 years old.. i line this brand very well.. as it doesnt hide anything  ... as i also paint cars i  "hate" all products contains silicon as it is just a terrible product... it hides for a while the surface and then later u see the real surface

Screenshot_20200607-175931_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-175903_Gallery.jpg

so  a bit back now... the black partd i done and pokished with novasim.... its a product probabky 40-50years old.. i use it allot foe my "real " car restorations... and i i always come back to this .. it gives a new look and it avoids dry out and protects.. and a bottle lasts very very long.... it had another name in 80 and 90's.. so far i didnt replace aby part as all equal to new ones.... screws are same just cleaned up a bit

Screenshot_20200607-194022_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-193943_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-193959_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-194116_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

got a few things done..  gearbox back  and bearings added.... noticed front "stabilisators" small difference between old and new parts.. so restored the old ones,   original 380 engine  in  and new  rear shafts (old style)

Screenshot_20200608-204338_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200608-204358_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200608-204417_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200608-204342_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200608-204351_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200608-204435_Gallery.jpg

hello... this project went on ice for a while  searching partd and etc.... but finally some light in tunnel.. parts on their way.....     meanwhilr i also started a 1979 srb  restoration... i think i will post  here some pictures and change  the title :).(is it possible to change title?)

IMG-20200627-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20200627-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20200627-WA0017.jpg

some more pictures from the first mk1 ....  polished up the old receiver box  .. but other than new  bearings  excluding outside on front wheels as the brass bearing is part of the charm i think no other parts are changed... is with its original acoms mk1 receiver and all . body is not re-painted.. it like my friend did it   when he bought the kit new i like the patina plus had old school lights etc installed

Screenshot_20200711-171457_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-171435_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-170611_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-171607_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-171536_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

meanwhile trying to restore lancia 037 (2 of them).. one  i have bumper and holder  and etc.. but second i didnt have..  so after giving up on findingg them for sale.. i decided to ask my friend to make a drawing and   start up cnc machine (industrial production machine) and laser cutting.. so  made a copy in acetal/pom  for bumper holder and the  bracket in SS  as original bracket is steel with CR6 coating on (long forbidden)   ss was the choice... made 7 set... 1 for me and 2 for a Tamiya friend and 4 are on ebay...

Screenshot_20200711-170109_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-170207_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-170132_Gallery.jpg

and as i pointed out earlier.. there is a "big" difference in vintage 80's front arms and re-re... but also on the front bumper holder frog part ... as new tool 2007   and in same spur it makes sense... but not really typical japanese quality... i first was going to blame my friend for measuring wrong for metal bracket...  it was not until i tried it o  my old genuine 80's part that it was clear as sunshine that "tamiya fuc*ed up"  :).. on all re re parts (i have checked 5 ) the holes are not in centre as in old original one... here u see  the comparison

. ita like 1.5mm of in new parts.. also that  tool datum stamp  was not in the 80's  anyway learned  to easy  see difference with old genuine 80's parts and re re on ORV

Screenshot_20200711-170410_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-192124_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-192201_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-192051_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-170300_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200711-192005_Gallery.jpg