xSyReKzZ

Bruiser to Blazing Blazer?

Hey TC! 

HAs anyone tried converting a Bruiser to a Blazing Blazer? I have a spare Bruiser chassis (P407 "Clone") that I am looking into turning into a lower stance 4x4 vehicle much like the Blazing Blazer. Essential bother the 3-Speed & Blazer chassis are identical from what I can tell (apart from the rear water resistant electronics box on the blazer). 

Also, for body shell (as I doubt I would find a Blazing Blazer) was thinking either the Ford F150 Ranger / Clodbuster or possibly even a Power Wagon body. Something to fit that era. Unfortunately I don't own either of the bodies so not sure how the wheel base compares to the standard Hilux RN36 shell on the Bruiser. Can anyone help with some measurements / side-by-side pictures for a comparison? Would greatly appreciate it (PS- I know the bodies will most likely need some cutting / filling to make it fit but I don't really mind that) 

Thanks guys in advance! 

It may sound strange, but it's true anyway; the Bruiser (both original, re-release and thus also clone), have virtually no parts in common with the Blazing Blazer, so a true conversion isn't possible. However, turning the Bruiser into a kind of tribute model of the Blazing Blazer is of course possible, but as you state yourself, finding a Blazing Blazer body is hard, and they are very expensive when they pop up.

The good news is that the Blazing Blazer and Bruiser have the same wheelbase (287mm). Also, the wheelbase of the Clodbuster body (not chassis) is very close, making putting the Clod body on the Bruiser chassis feasible without too much effort. The Tamiya Ford F150 Ranger body is however a completely different size. Quite a bit narrower and a 250mm wheelbase and not really suitable for the Bruiser chassis. 

If you are ready for a non-Tamiya lexan body, there are many possibilities of course, but if you should stumble over the now obsolete Proline Blazer CGR body (almost a Blazing Blazer lookalike minus wing), it's unfortunately not suitable with its 313mm wheelbase (I learned the expensive way.)

By the way, the real Blazer racing trucks the Blazing Blazer is based upon, didn't have much in common with the Blazing Blazer chassis-wise. They had RWD, a 6-link live rear axle, with an IFS up front and a tubular chassis/cage with a fibreglass Blazer body.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:By the way, the real Blazer racing trucks the Blazing Blazer is based upon, didn't have much in common with the Blazing Blazer chassis-wise. They had RWD, a 6-link live rear axle, with an IFS up front and a tubular chassis/cage with a fibreglass Blazer body.

Now that sounds like a fun chassis to design and fit under the RC4WD body 🤔

22 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

The good news is that the Blazing Blazer and Bruiser have the same wheelbase (287mm). Also, the wheelbase of the Clodbuster body (not chassis) is very close, making putting the Clod body on the Bruiser chassis feasible without too much effort.

Perhaps you remember the wonderful custom FALL GUY truck a friend of TCer @Germanfanatik made years ago? Bruiser chassis, TLT-1 axles, Clod Buster bodyshell... the thing was gorgeous! :wub:

img15650_03022008093347_1.jpg

img15650_03022008093347_8.jpg

img15650_03022008074723_2.jpg

img15650_03022008074723_7.jpg

img15650_03022008074723_8.jpg

img15650_03022008074723_1.jpg

...Must really be one of the NICEST custom combo RC Tamiya I've ever seen here in TC.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, njmlondon said:

Now that sounds like a fun chassis to design and fit under the RC4WD body 🤔

As much as I would like a Blazer hardbody, the RC4WD body is out of question for me. Of course it generally looks very nice and detailed, but I think the angle of the grille makes it look strange. It may be correct (same angle as the real vehicle), but in my eyes, it still looks wrong and should be closer to vertical. Being the "face" of the body and so important for the overall look, the body is unfortunately not an option for me.

As for chassis for a "correct" racing Blazer, I would have loved to use the Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Pro, but wheelbase is way too long and it's too wide for any Blazer body I know about. Including the Proline Blazer CGR.

kyosho-34362b-outlaw-rampage-pro-1-10-arproline_blazer_rollgage_02.gif

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

As for chassis for a "correct" racing Blazer, I would have loved to use the Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Pro, but wheelbase is way too long and it's too wide for any Blazer body I know about. Including the Proline Blazer CGR.

kyosho-34362b-outlaw-rampage-pro-1-10-ar

I want that chassis!! 

On 6/3/2020 at 9:41 AM, mongoose1983 said:

Perhaps you remember the wonderful custom FALL GUY truck a friend of TCer @Germanfanatik made years ago? Bruiser chassis, TLT-1 axles, Clod Buster bodyshell... the thing was gorgeous! :wub:

img15650_03022008093347_1.jpg

img15650_03022008093347_8.jpg

img15650_03022008074723_2.jpg

img15650_03022008074723_7.jpg

img15650_03022008074723_8.jpg

img15650_03022008074723_1.jpg

...Must really be one of the NICEST custom combo RC Tamiya I've ever seen here in TC.

That is a beautiful build! 

Are those axles from the high lift? 

Looks like this would be the way to go at building a tribute blazer, clod body (possibly chopping off the cab) and replacing it with the proline CGR rollbar frame and 3D printing and blazing roof to finish off the look? But that is the stance I am looking to build! Amazing! 

8 hours ago, xSyReKzZ said:

Are those axles from the high lift? 

TLT-1, actually. That's a kit Tamiya released, I don't know, like twenty years ago?

8 hours ago, xSyReKzZ said:

TLT-1 axles

If you want to go that route, well, that's a lot of work to do. When I try to copy something on the back of my mind there's always the though of such thing not really being the one I wanted first. But of course that's just me.

Anyway, you can always get the CC-01 and make something out of it, like @toykid did a few years ago. Here's some pictures and links:

img50_27092011051519_7.jpg

img50_04062011075720_1.jpg

img50_04042011065908_4.jpg

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=110609&id=50

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=108708

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=107477

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2020 at 6:45 PM, njmlondon said:

I want that chassis!! 

Ive seen one of these up close at my LHS and it's pretty cool, but a strange concoction. The motor-on-axle setup is weird and it's incredibly noisy.

I understand that Kyosho didn't mesh the gearing very well from the factory. 

8 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

The motor-on-axle setup is weird and it's incredibly noisy.

I understand that Kyosho didn't mesh the gearing very well from the factory. 

I didn't know that, but also, I don't know if their are any differences in the drive-trains of the standard RTR version and the upgraded Pro ARR version?

(The photo I posted is of the Outlaw Rampage Pro, as you surely noticed.)

8 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

I didn't know that, but also, I don't know if their are any differences in the drive-trains of the standard RTR version and the upgraded Pro ARR version?

(The photo I posted is of the Outlaw Rampage Pro, as you surely noticed.)

Definitely the Pro version, definitely a mesh problem with the spur from memory, very noisy transmission but a cool truck nonetheless. I'll share a picture from the owners' FaceBook page, I'm sure he won't mind (mainly as it looks awesome!)

I can't find any with the body off, but he's captioned all the images labelling it as the Pro version.538730184_RampagePro.thumb.jpg.543610b63eaf000e075d987a509c5868.jpg