Flare65

Monster Beetle rere tire and rim options?

I'm slowly amassing the parts, paint, & gear I need to tackle this kit.  I'd like to know what other options I have for rims and tires.  I'd like to get some chrome plated rims.  Something that looks like the Wild WIlly 2 or Konghead rims, but the same size as the stock rims that come with the Monster Beetle kit.  I'd also like to get some chevron style tires for it, something similar to stock tires, but without the spikes. 

Where do you usually turn for parts for Tamiya kits?  I'm in the USA if that matters.

Thanks!

Your issue will be finding a bearing front wheel, you can get a hex adapter for 12mm hex on the rear without issue, but the front will be a challenge. Pretty sure @Frog Jumper has been looking at this recently, see what he has to say.

There are some vintage 2.2 wheels that are direct fit, including CRP, Proline, and Trinity.

HPI makes the Super Star MT wheels which usually include an adapter for use with the BF rear hub. 

You can also buy a 12mm hex to replace the BF hub and use the multitude of 12mm hex wheels available.

The hardest piece to find will be the freewheeling front wheel.

Terry

3 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Your issue will be finding a bearing front wheel, you can get a hex adapter for 12mm hex on the rear without issue, but the front will be a challenge. Pretty sure @Frog Jumper has been looking at this recently, see what he has to say.

I did find a solution to this that involved M Chassis knuckles...  I’ll dig up the thread in a while...

Terry

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replys.  Forgive me that I may not be following what is being said here...

Rims:  It sounds like I can get adapters for hex style rims to fit to the back, but the challenge is getting something to work up front.  Getting something to work may be a bit tough for me as I'm not too familiar with other Tamiya kits to pick the correct front spindles that may work.  @frog_jumper from your post it sounds like you found something that kinda worked, but you were not happy with the end result (incorrect wheel offset?)

Was there any wheel from Tamiya that came in a Blackfoot kit that was chrome?  Finding a set of chrome rims from a special editon Blackfoot kit may be an option.  Is there any wheel in the Tamiya "parts bin"  that would work? 

Tires:  From what I have seen on the Towerhobbies website, it seems like the standard issue tire that came with the Monster Beetle is 2.2?  I would assume any 2.2 inch tire from Proline would work on the stock MB rims?

I'll reply tomorrow with some more info on the 2.2 wheels for your beetle. I have some at home that are a direct bolt on for old Tamiya's without any wheel bearing drama. But I can't remember the brand right now. Hopefully I saved the packaging to get a brand name for you. But I know I bought them from Tower Hobbies.

1 hour ago, Flare65 said:

Thank you all for the replys.  Forgive me that I may not be following what is being said here...

Tires:  From what I have seen on the Towerhobbies website, it seems like the standard issue tire that came with the Monster Beetle is 2.2?  I would assume any 2.2 inch tire from Proline would work on the stock MB rims?

Not sure about rims but for tyres yep, any 2.2 truck tyres will fit the standard rims. I've got a set of Pro-Line Badlands that are fitted onto some re-re MB wheels sitting inside the kit ready for when I build it.

Actually, I’ve very happy with my new front knuckle mod. It’s worked great so far. If you have questions, I can walk you thru it.

If you’re looking for chrome wheels for your MB, your choices are:

Tamiya #50766.  These are chrome King BF wheels.  Very rare.

HPI #2125 and #2160. HPI makes a few other 2.2 sized chrome wheels that may work. I’ve just never tried them out myself.

Proline #2529 and #2528.  These numbers may be incorrect.  These are rare too.

Imex also made chrome wheels.

Terry

Edit to add:  These all are compatible with the stock MB.  If you go 12mm hex, you open up all kinds of possibilities  

As for tires, you’ll want 2.2 tires. Do NOT get the 2.2/3.0 tires. They will not fit the MB wheels. 

Also, they MB wheel is 50mm wide. There are 2.2 crawler tires that are too skinny and will not fit.

I highly recommend Proline tires.

Terry

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

.... HPI #2125 .....

Terry

You beat me to it. The wheels I was trying to remember are these HPI 2.2 super star wheels. I have a dozen of these in black and they come with adapters which work on old Tamiya's, as a direct bolt on. I bought mine from Tower, but I did a quick search and ebay has several sets for sale right now. Tower does not show HPI in the listing... I suppose they stopped selling that brand for some reason. Either way now we know the brand so its easy to search online for them.

Here they are on the HPI website

https://www.hpiracing.com/en/product_category/W10S

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replys.

Getting chrome rims for a MB is a lot more confusing and convoluted than I thought it would be.  I really don't know what to buy.  Surely I can't be the only one who has wanted to do this with this kit? It sounds like picking 2.2 tires is the easy part (I think), but getting chrome rims is tricky.

Can I just link stuff here and someone tell me if it will work or not?

Will these work for the front?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-2125-SS-Monster-Wheel-Front-Chrome-D-2-HPI2125/184303649032?epid=1000016799&hash=item2ae95a8108:g:pNwAAOSwf9peydes

If so, what will work for the rear?

As for tires,  I really like these but there doesn't seem to be a button to add them to the cart to buy them?

https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/4894

I also like these too:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXFTNY&P=ML

Thank you all for taking the time to help me!  I do appreciate it!

• Like 1

The HPI wheels can still be found on eBay but they are getting rare and expensive.

The chrome front wheels you want are the #2125s and the rears are the #2160s.

The #2125s should come with a set of adapters (HPI #6115).  These will secure the bearings in the wheel.

The #2160s should also come with a set of adapters (HPI #6120).  These will have the adapter you need for the BF rear hub.

You should also get at least (4) HPI #6125 washers to help secure the wheels.

Terry

Frog Jumper, thank you very much for this info.  It looks like I can get the washers, front rims, and adapters on ebay,  but the rear rims I can't find anywhere.  :(  I'll keep looking!

• Like 1

There is an eBay seller that has all the white wheels. Those can be dyed any color you want, except chrome.  I have several red sets myself...

Good luck!

Terry

can you PM me the link?  Really want Chrome, but would like to get another set or two for another build I plan on doing soon.

On 6/2/2020 at 7:32 PM, Frog Jumper said:

Actually, I’ve very happy with my new front knuckle mod. It’s worked great so far. If you have questions, I can walk you thru it.

If you’re looking for chrome wheels for your MB, your choices are:

Tamiya #50766.  These are chrome King BF wheels.  Very rare.

HPI #2125 and #2160. HPI makes a few other 2.2 sized chrome wheels that may work. I’ve just never tried them out myself.

Proline #2529 and #2528.  These numbers may be incorrect.  These are rare too.

Imex also made chrome wheels.

Terry

Edit to add:  These all are compatible with the stock MB.  If you go 12mm hex, you open up all kinds of possibilities  

I know this is old but can you share what you did for your front knuckle mod?