njmlondon

Holiday Buggy on an ORV or SRB?

I don't know why, but I have recently begun to really like the look of the old HB.

Only problem is I never liked the original chassis (my mate had one and I had a Sand Scorcher) so I got to thinking about mounting an HB body on a SRB chassis.

Several questions spring to mind...

1) has anybody seen this done already and if so can you point me in the right direction

2) is the re re body the same as the original (apart from the horrible holes for the front shocks)?

3) would it be easy to fit original HB wheels and tires (if I can find them of course) to the SRB?

Any other thoughts most welcome!

Rear wheels definitely fit SRB - the HB/SR uses the same rear drive shaft as the SRBs
SRB wheels and tyres were suggested as spares for the HB/SR too, so I assume the fronts fit ok

BITD I fitted a HB shell to my Scorcher with a custom body post, but can't remember how good/bad it looked

Edit: Jus found this

HB/SR Wheels, just painted black  - https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=94865&id=13023

img13023_13122009014438_1_1100_.jpg

and this - https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=51817&id=3680

IIRC, Frog uses SRB front axles too

img3680_23092006171141_4_1100_.jpg

• Like 1

I'm actually right in the middle of doing this right now.

I trimmed the chassis 10mm but to be honest it probably isn't necessary. 

You will need to make a rear shock mount, as the SRB roll bar won't fit, the fronts just tuck under the arches and the lid of the SRB radio box won't fit, so you'll need to make one.

If you're like me and have too much free time and are quite happy driving yourself slightly (more) mad you may like to cut the front arches off to pull them down. I personally couldn't un-see the fact they are higher than the rears......and I tucked the nose under too.

The bodies are the same, but there are a bunch of holes you will probably want to fill.

@j-man did one, which I drew inspiration from: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=108016&id=16781

Give us a shout if you have any questions ;)

IMG_1450 IMG_1446 IMG_1444 IMG_1445 IMG_1419 IMG_1144 IMG_1145 IMG_1146

• Like 3

I'm also in the middle of the same conversion - Sand Rover on a SRB chassis.

The SR front wheels don't quite fit properly though - I've had to use thinner bearings otherwise the wheels bind when the nuts are fully done up.

I'm in a quandary though - I like the three spoke wheels and tyres from the Sand Rover, but the ones I have are battered, especially the rears. I'm tempted to trim off the outer rim to tidy them up a bit and spray them black. Or I could just go with Rough Rider fronts and Sand Scorcher rears which I have in better condition.

• Like 1