Reliver

Connecting tble02s with a speed passion motor

Apologies - novice question

I have a tble02s esc and want to upgrade the motor, thinking the  Speed Passion V3.0 Competition BL 21.5T     https://www.modelsport.co.uk/speed-passion-v3-0-competition-bl-21-5t/rc-car-products/379808

The stock esc that came with the neo scorcher has bullet connectors.

What do I need to purchased to be able to connect the Speed passion motor with the tble02s ESC?  Or is it just to remove the current connectors on the esc and solder?

Ideally it would be nice to have the ability to more easily remove the motor from the esc.

Kind regards

Alun

The motor comes with 3.5mm gold-plated bullet connectors, so all you need to do is cut the 'orrible grey ones off the ESC cables and solder on the nice ones supplied with the motor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just so I have fully understood.  I will need to fit the new connectors to the ESC and they will attach to the motor?

That is correct - yes.

The motor has male bullet connectors built into the backplate, and those flattish gold things with the coloured bases shown on the back of the motor in the stock pictures are actually the rear ends of the supplied female bullet connectors that slide over them.

When you get your motor, you'll want to pull the female connectors out of the backplate, solder them to your ESC wires, then plug them back into the backplate where they will engage the built-in male connectors.

• Like 1

No problem.

Are you sure you only want a 21.5t motor though? Both the chassis and the ESC can easily handle a 17.5t, even a 13.5t under most conditions. A 21.5t isn't much faster than the stock silver can.

• Like 1

Hiya.  Thanks for the follow up and great question I have been asking myself.

I was originally looking at the 13.5t and 17.5 t brushless

For one thing I am having trouble finding some brushless motors like that in the UK that dont cost the earth.

Also it is really for my son (or I tell myself that) and not too fused if the speed stay around that which the tamiya torque motor I have currently gives.

Any suggestions?

[Also when I first put on the big wheels I had the clicking of the gears and have ordered the metal part bag to replace the bevel pinions.  And the esc got hot hence the motor choice.]

Ah, fair enough. Perhaps 21.5t is the way to go then.

With the stock gearing, the speed will be very similar to the stock Torque Tuned, but with more runtime thanks to the added efficiency of brushless.

However the brushless motor has a lot more torque, so you can run taller gearing and trade runtime for more speed if you wish without stressing the motor unduly.

• Like 1

Those are great motors I run a 13.5t in my TT02S, I can thermal the TBLE-02S even with the optional fan and the motor isn’t getting hot (so not over geared.) it does go very well. If you put a large enough pinion and run full timing I think you’ll find the 21.5t goes well. 

• Like 1

Dodgy soldering skills but this is how I do it for that esc / motor combo. You can tune the wire lengths if you so wish to minimise the amount of 'loose' cabling. 

ESC

• Like 1

Try to watch this:

That is how I solder mine and the end result is much cleaner... dont forget to heat shrink the exposed metal after soldering to eliminate risk of shorts... 

Notice that the heat is applied directly on the bullet connector and lead is melted inside... while in liquid form, you then dip and hold the stripped off end of the wire... 

Also, if you were concerned about using a lower turn brushless for you son, you can always adjust your trim settings and slow it down if your radio gear has that function... so later down the road, when you want more speed, you can easily revert your settings...

Edited by burakol
  • Like 1

HI Burakol.  

Thanks for the video.  Really useful.

Unfortunately my radio gear doesn't have that option.  

I was recommenced to get a Flysky GT3C or Futaba 3PV when I do.  Any other suggestions welcome? 

Maybe for when my daughter gets into it, she is only 3 at the moment.

I was thinking that even though it isn't a much faster motor, the increase in wheel diameter should speed it up if needed.

You can also look into the Radiolink Rc4 or Rc6. At that age, the challenge is finding a receiver that ergonomically fits her hand... I remember a few years ago I bought an Aarma branded transmitter..it color yellow, smaller form factor, and you can switch from left to right handed grip... I'll see if I can search online for it... 

Found it... it is called Aarma ATX300

• Like 2

Thanks.  I will add these to the list. Very helpful.  

Aarma one looks great. Do they all have end point adjustments for the throttle?

2 hours ago, Reliver said:

Thanks.  I will add these to the list. Very helpful.  

Aarma one looks great. Do they all have end point adjustments for the throttle?

I’m looking at the aarma 300 too. The manual says it can do end point adjustment.

http://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/380004 EN.pdf

Im having problems finding the Rx though..,

Terry

I saw the rc4's on ebay but only the rc6's on banggood.  Manual was useful. Tnx.

Cutting the Tamiya connectors off the ESC is the best way to do it to reduce overall resistance, and as others have said the connectors on the SpeedPassion motor do unplug.

But I didn't want to cut the Tamiya cables, though, so bought a set of Tamiya bullets and made up a little extension loom. I've got the 17.5T and, using the larger of the 2 supported pinion sizes, it's perfect in my rere Wild One. The Wild One does need long motor cables, though, so the extension isn't as crazy as it sounds.

IMG_0417_resized.JPG

IMG_1778_resized.JPG

• Like 1