UtterPiffle

Newbie - Our modded and very bashed Lunchbox

Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster. Greetings from Switzerland ..

Thought a few might like to see my boys Lunchbox. It is a re-release, but that means we don't have to be precious over it. Bought a few years ago for his 9th birthday - no doubt like a lot of us on here, there was the feeble excuse that I was also able to re-live my childhood somewhat. :)

It was crudely painted as a mini version of our '83 Dodge Ram camper, hence the unusual colour scheme

spacer.png

We used it stock for a while, then bought a cheapy Razor ten 4000kv brushless combo from the UK and a couple 5000mAh NiMh batteries. What a fantastic thing, really very impressed for 60 quid. It transformed it. It now literally lives on the wheelie bar - to the point that we wore right through it. With the extra speed came extra breakages. Many, many breakages. When it crashes now, it seems to crash for a very long time! I guess that's the fun of making stuff go fast...

Anyway, mods are now

• 4000kv motor
  • ball bearing kit
  • oil shocks
  • aluminium front knuckles
  • aluminium arm from the steering servo
  • aluminium body pins
  • large hand-made hand-bodged wheelie bar
  • 3rd rear shock bodged from one of the original suspension turrets.
  • headlights

Replaced parts from breakages

• Chassis - needed after snapped body and servo mounts
  • Front wheels (3x sets) - actually currently running rear wheels on the front without bearings - at least they don't keep breaking!
  • Front suspension arms - lost count. Are the ally ones on Aliexpress any good? I figured they'd just bend and snap in a crash.
  • Bumper
  • Suspension struts
  • All sorts of suspension/steering mounts, brackets knuckles etc. 
  • The body is also clearly knackered, but we quite like the rough look, so have no plans to replace it. The front snapped clean off once, so that's held together with screws and bits of beer bottle... Proper engineering gone in to this one! :D 

It is probably one of the most used and abused Lunchboxes out there - during lockdown it came with us on our daily allowed walk - a good 3km everyday for the last 2 months. It is such a fantastic truck, especially with that brushless motor.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I got carried away a couple weeks ago, and bought two 3800mAh 3S LiPo batteries. Never thought I'd say it, but they are far too much for this chassis. Can't get much more than about half throttle now before it flips or rolls. Silly. :D

We've got some more oil shocks on the way (snapped one recently), along with a 12mm hex kit (although I've now read mixed reviews on here about those) and some random wheels, no doubt made from Chineseium...

I'll probably post in the general forum to ask advice on what to wrap around these new batteries - Currently looking at the Tamiya Avante, but concerned spares are not plentiful.

Anyway, enough waffle for now. Let me know what you think :)

Edit: I've just realised this probably shouldn't be in the Vintage section as it not an original Lunchbox. Can a mod move it if I have broken the rules on my very first post?

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Holy **** dude LB pic one to pic two !! - sometimes you have to unleash the beast ;)

That is a Lunchbox that has been used properly!

Any chance we can see the inside of your front end beer bottle fix? I'm curious to see your technique.

Finally I see a lunchbox in worse condition than mine. Ermmm I mean my child's. Cough, cough.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow, this is fantastic, congrats on running that thing like you stole it, perfect example of how to enjoy this all time favourite :D

• Like 1